Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone graduated from Biological and biomedical science in NUIM??

Options
  • 01-08-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey, Just wanted to see if anyone who has graduated from this course in NUIM is on this. I would love to hear some info on what you're working as now, where it led etc..
    Bit confused as to what I can actually do with this degree!
    Thanks
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

+1 for that currently doing biomed too and as far as I understand all I'm really qualified to do when I finish is either further study or sit on my ass on the dole :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

I have!

I'm er...doing a Masters in Business Management, and hopefully a PhD in HR, so probably not the best person to ask:P

Most of my friends in the course are doing further study; a couple doing PhD, some doing Masters.

Others are working in places like Genzyme and ICON clinical research, basically lab testing etc. There's also the option of becoming a medical laboratory technician, which I did work experience in, and found to be great, but you need a year's work experience before you can join the Medlab profession and actually get a proper wage:P

But yeah, overall its a good course for general biology, and then depending on whether you want to do further study or work, you can differentiate between biological (plants and animals etc) or biomedical (immunology, diseases etc) in third and fourth year.

Remember as well that a degree is a degree, you can take it from it lots of general transferable skills, so you aren't bogged down by your choice if you decide you want to do something else!:)

Duddy wrote: »
    I have!

I'm er...doing a Masters in Business Management, and hopefully a PhD in HR, so probably not the best person to ask:P

Most of my friends in the course are doing further study; a couple doing PhD, some doing Masters.

Others are working in places like Genzyme and ICON clinical research, basically lab testing etc. There's also the option of becoming a medical laboratory technician, which I did work experience in, and found to be great, but you need a year's work experience before you can join the Medlab profession and actually get a proper wage:P

But yeah, overall its a good course for general biology, and then depending on whether you want to do further study or work, you can differentiate between biological (plants and animals etc) or biomedical (immunology, diseases etc) in third and fourth year.

Remember as well that a degree is a degree, you can take it from it lots of general transferable skills, so you aren't bogged down by your choice if you decide you want to do something else!:)

How did you get the work exp in the medical lab ????

How did you get the work exp in the medical lab ????[/Quote]

Dropped them an email:p I think James' take on a good few people for work experience through the year, not sure if it counts as proper certified medlab exp though, that could be a seperate process:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Brainfart. This is ridiculous now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I think he means St James' Hospital :p

How did you get the work exp in the medical lab ????

Dropped them an email:p I think James' take on a good few people for work experience through the year, not sure if it counts as proper certified medlab exp though, that could be a seperate process:)[/QUOTE]

Cool , I've been looking to do some experience like that, but haven't really had any Idea where to start asking haha !
    Seren_ wrote: »
    I think he means St James' Hospital :p

haha yeah I got that =)

What did I miss?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

What did I miss?:P

Nothing, absolutely nothing >_<

Advertisement