Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phrases of the moon, do they make a difference?

• 01-08-2012 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Does anybody believe the phrases of the moon can initiate changes in human behavior, moon is almost full now, when I worked in a customer service job, I used to notice people talking nineteen to the dozen on the phone and not being able to get a word in, much more so than when the moon was new or waning.

Police apparently notice more assaults and anti-social behavior when the moon is full.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Phases no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Yep, you can definitely tell in my job when there is a full moon.

Spring tides are f***ing lethal.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TIMEisMONEY

This is known to be a myth.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Unless you're a werewolf, no.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I guess it's possible but I don't think any link has been shown outside of something statistical. If people think it changes their mood it may well change their mood.

As far as crime go maybe it's just much easier to do crime at night when the moon is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

also heard somewhere that the Chinese try to avoid surgery when the moon is full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I think that stuff is absolute crap. I dont believe in any of it. Not moon phases, not horoscopes, psychics etc

This is known to be a myth.
    It is also known that scientists do not live in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I only murder people on a fullmoon, the light is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

its just that time of the month OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Of course moon phases make a difference. I'm always slightly doolally in the lead up to a full Moon and when I wonder why I'm feeling so chicken oriental and I check out what lunar phase it is, it's invariably coming up to a Full Moon :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Nobody lives on the moon, so they don't have any language, idioms or phrases.

Anyone who disagrees with the OP is a full blown sociopath and should be avoided at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The Moon effects the planet enough to shift the oceans around and effect the tides.
    It's not completely crazy to think it may have an effect on people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Well I wouldn't write anything off completely and I never pass up a chance to link to a cracked article. It's not directly related but it does list the Geomagnetic Field as something that could effect stress levels in people. If something like that can be studied and asserted as a possible influence on people then I see no reason to rule the moon out.
    As far as it goes I enjoy seeing a full moon so it does effect me, albeit in a conscious manner.

I'm just throwing this in because I think it's interesting.
    "While the hows and whys behind the phenomenon aren't entirely clear, the reigning theory suggests that the geomagnetic storms are screwing up our pineal gland -- the part of our brain that senses magnetism much in the same way many animals do. However, the pineal gland doesn't use its magnetism powers for the same reason as the animals (they use it for navigation). It uses its magneto-sense to preside over the circadian rhythm (our internal clock) and melatonin production."

http://www.cracked.com/article_19857_5-seemingly-harmless-things-that-are-stressing-you-out_p2.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Don't believe in it myself, but I have a few friends who work on doors at nightclubs who hate working when there's a full moon. They all say that there's a lot more trouble during a full moon.

dd972 wrote: »
    Does anybody believe the phrases of the moon can initiate changes in human behavior.

To shoot for the moon: To be very ambitious.

Over the moon: Delighted about something - maybe shooting for the Moon proved successful!

It's all Moonshine: It's nonsense, imagination, caused by the effects of the Moon on the mind.

I know as much about it as the Man In The Moon: I know nothing.

Are you feeling any different now?

• Advertisement

the eagle has landed, we're on the fúcking moon

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

A friend of mine works in a residential unit for mentally disabled people & it does affect them. In a bad way.
    One of them tried to strangle her a few months ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No. All total codswallap. The moon affects tides alright as it is closer to specific parts of the planet as the Earth spins over a 24 hour period.

But there is no substatial difference in the position of the moon over a 28 day period. The difference in the size during the phases is merely down to how much of the Earth's shadow lands on the surface of the moon.

Changes in mood are as likely as astrology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Any psychriatric nurse will tell you the full moon definetly has a strange effect on patients.
    Theyre not called lunatics (lunar) for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

quickbeam wrote: »
    The difference in the size during the phases is merely down to how much of the Earth's shadow lands on the surface of the moon.

eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

i'm always a bit restless when there's a full moon, usually can't sleep at all either.

perhaps it's something todo with the fact our bodies are composed of so much water.. or maybe some ancient evolutionary biological link with the moons phases and marine life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

shaaane wrote: »
    Phases no?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Yes.
    what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When the gravitational pull of the moon tries to suck my brain through my ear-holes, I've an uncontrollable urge to sharpen an axe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Pottler wrote: »
    what?
    Phases of the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Colmustard wrote: »
    I only murder people on a fullmoon, the light is better.
    Surely that would be the worst time to murder someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 weirdtodamoon

I'm weird to da moon. lol.

I'm weird to da moon. lol.

How do you know - maybe it thinks you're perfectly normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Im adopted, and when I was younger my brothers used to tell me that one night when there was a full moon a spaceship came out of the sky and dropped me in their back garden. They said I had to have loads of operations to get my skin white instead of purple, I had to have eyes removed, hair growth treatments etc

My mum used to always say Im wired to the moon, or when I was bold the mothership was going to come and zap me back up to my own planet :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Brilliant Sydneyfyfe!

I used to live in Holland down by the zoo ( not in it!) and roundabout once or twice a month the animals would go bananas at night; elephants roaring, howling etc; a whole lot of crazy. It was always full moon nights.

I'm sure it affects some of us too :0

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dd972 wrote: »
    also heard somewhere that the Chinese try to avoid surgery when the moon is full
    Even here they wouldn't do surgery if Sun Myung Moon had a full stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

bluewolf wrote: »
    To shoot for the moon: To be very ambitious.

Over the moon: Delighted about something - maybe shooting for the Moon proved successful!

It's all Moonshine: It's nonsense, imagination, caused by the effects of the Moon on the mind.

I know as much about it as the Man In The Moon: I know nothing.

Are you feeling any different now?

I think the OP is wired to the moon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

No, it's all total bull. Most people have no idea how tides and the moon's gravity work. Read the facts here and here.

From http://www.skepdic.com/fullmoon.html
    The lunar force is actually a very weak tidal force. A mother holding her child "will exert 12 million times as much tidal force on her child as the moon" (Kelly et al., 1996: 25).

People see patterns where there are no patterns all the time – it's human nature. But there is no basis for any of these supposed effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

La lune ressemble à un grand fromage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The Moon can explain his phases best if you go to 5.00 below:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Tope wrote: »
    No, it's all total bull. Most people have no idea how tides and the moon's gravity work. Read the facts here and here.

From http://www.skepdic.com/fullmoon.html
    The lunar force is actually a very weak tidal force. A mother holding her child "will exert 12 million times as much tidal force on her child as the moon" (Kelly et al., 1996: 25).

People see patterns where there are no patterns all the time – it's human nature. But there is no basis for any of these supposed effects.

Sceptics = party-poopers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

Tope wrote: »

the earths gravity is also quite weak when you think about it.. in fact you overcome it every time you lift your foot off the ground yet it's strong enough to keep a body of rock roughly 3,500km in diameter in its orbit (of course the moons gravitational effect on earth is part of this relationship).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

quickbeam wrote: »
    No. All total codswallap. The moon affects tides alright as it is closer to specific parts of the planet as the Earth spins over a 24 hour period.

But there is no substatial difference in the position of the moon over a 28 day period. The difference in the size during the phases is merely down to how much of the Earth's shadow lands on the surface of the moon.

There is a bi-monthly change in the extent of the gravitational forces exerted on the Earth, not from just the moon but how it lines up with the Sun. At new Moon and Full moon the Moon is in line with the Sun creating a stronger force, this is why we have higher tides at full and new Moon, the strongest effect is at new Moon though.
    This said the force exerted on something the size of a human is so small as to be utterly insignificant, people born in Killarney would feel more of a force from the nearby mountains, gravity is an incredibly weak force.
    Because stats show no change in actual behaviour during a full moon then confirmation bias is a quite reasonable assumption to make with respect to peoples anecdotal evidence.

In pre industrial society having a full Moon meant it was possible to do more at night, and this increased activity combined with people's inclination to get up to more mischief at night is probably what lead to an assumption it was the Moon itself that was causing it, instead of just the much brighter nights enabling people already predisposed to it to carry out their ill-deeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

These are my favourite phrases of the Moon :

"Many say our world is at a tipping point. If we do not act together, if we do not act responsibly, if we do not act now, we risk slipping into a cycle of poverty, degradation, and despair."
    – Ban Ki Moon

"Together we want to help the world see and believe in a better future."
    – Ban Ki Moon

"Women must be full partners in development, so they can lift themselves and their communities out of poverty."
    – Ban Ki Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Put your money where your mouth is and invest your money based on moon phases!

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120731-bulls-bears-and-black-cats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

dyer wrote: »
    i'm always a bit restless when there's a full moon, usually can't sleep at all either.

perhaps it's something todo with the fact our bodies are composed of so much water.. or maybe some ancient evolutionary biological link with the moons phases and marine life?

Or maybe that it's brighter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

This thread needs a poll....

And the moon definitely affects mood. you can see it in the schools - kids are looper around the time of the full moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

dilallio wrote: »
    Don't believe in it myself, but I have a few friends who work on doors at nightclubs who hate working when there's a full moon. They all say that there's a lot more trouble during a full moon.

My mum worked with troubled inner city children until she retired. She fully believes that there is a link between the moon and behaviour. And she's not someone who would believe in hippy dippy stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement