Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will 6th Year really fly by?

• 01-08-2012 7:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

So yeah before the end of 5th year all of our teachers kept telling us ''6th year is gonna fly by really really quick so make the most out of your time''

Is it true? You students who were in 6th year did it actually fly by?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 13whatsername

Short answer, yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I remember in September being like "This is not going fast at all" but then my friend pointed out that it was October what felt like 5 minutes later. >_>

It doesn't go fast from the point of view of "Whoa, that was easy!" at all, but because you want to study as much as you can you feel the days slipping by.

I think it's more in hindsight that you realize how fast it goes. After the mocks it really, really flies though, and they happen sooner than you think. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

if you do a good bit of study it flys by! if the stress gets to you it will be horrific, dont let the latter happen:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

Honestly it really did! For me i first noticed at the christmas holidays that nearly half the year was gone, then the mocks fly in and then its not long and its the leaving, it was crazy :P
    Its a good and bad thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

You've no idea how fast it goes. I suppose how fast the time goes is relative to how much study you do. If you study regularly from the start of the year you won't feel the year flying past. I honestly feel like I did the Mocks yesterday, I haven't even fully registered the fact that I went in and sat all my subjects in the L.C.

What's more is the actual exams, it's ridiculous how fast they just speed by. I couldn't believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Faster than you can even think possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The first half up to the mocks took ages, after that it was like holy **** its the leaving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Once Christmas goes, it really flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sheao

It went a lot faster than I thought it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Lavidabonita

It doesn't feel like it at the time because it's so tedious: go to school,study,eat,sleep,repeat and all that(not going to lie,it's a pretty horrible year), but now looking back it seriously flew by.Especially after Christmas when you're so busy with the mocks, projects and the orals!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Seems like its pretty much answered already but . . .
    At the time you'll be like "oh god this torture will never end, its just dragging on" etc etc :L But yes, time just slips by so fast :) Its a curse and a blessing at the same time :P Best and worst year in school too, trust me on that one :)
    Don't be worrying bout 6th year yet, enjoy the rest of your summer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I found once you hit the month of January the rest of the year flies and the LC is over before you know it. I suppose the reason it goes so fast is all thats going on mocks, orals, graduation, projects due for lc to name a few. Overall I thought the year flew more than any of the other years in school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

thank you all for your great answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

honestly, it was the fastest year of my life.

I love(d) school, so I really didn't want it to come to an end so I kept wishing it would slow down.. and it didn't. You start at the end of august thinking "i''ve loads of time".. well you don't. it FLIES by.

When christmas came, all i was saying to myself was "omg this can't be happening"..

then the mocks come literally like a bang straight after xmas, and after that there's literally no time left with the orals going on for 2 weeks and easter for 2 weeks and midterm.. so yes.. it really does FLY by.

my advice: do as much as you can before xmas because after xmas everything you do counts as cram! good luck! (btw cramming always worked for me.. let's hope it works in 13days)

HeaneyBabe wrote: »
    honestly, it was the fastest year of my life.

I love(d) school, so I really didn't want it to come to an end so I kept wishing it would slow down.. and it didn't. You start at the end of august thinking "i''ve loads of time".. well you don't. it FLIES by.

When christmas came, all i was saying to myself was "omg this can't be happening"..

then the mocks come literally like a bang straight after xmas, and after that there's literally no time left with the orals going on for 2 weeks and easter for 2 weeks and midterm.. so yes.. it really does FLY by.

my advice: do as much as you can before xmas because after xmas everything you do counts as cram! good luck! (btw cramming always worked for me.. let's hope it works in 13days)

thanks dude for your answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Must say it flies by!

It's hard to do, but try and get a nice bitta work done before Christmas, even just a tad extra than you think makes a huge difference!
    Get the projects written up asap too! Everyone says it nut they really do take alot of time!
    Have the craic too! Don't spend the year worrying, cos there's no point.
    Enjoy it, the last year of the school life, tis quality!!

Must say it flies by!

It's hard to do, but try and get a nice bitta work done before Christmas, even just a tad extra than you think makes a huge difference!
    Get the projects written up asap too! Everyone says it nut they really do take alot of time!
    Have the craic too! Don't spend the year worrying, cos there's no point.
    Enjoy it, the last year of the school life, tis quality!!

Thanks Will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

yep and when you repeat it flies by even quicker :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I didn't think so for the first few months, but after Christmas time just seems to speed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Yes, it drags until Christmas or so but after that it starts to pick up speed and after the mocks it reaches terminal velocity near the speed of light in a vacuum!

Enjoy the rollercoaster that is the Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Yes it will fly by but don't worry about making the most of your time because no one does! just do all your homework and go in EVERY SINGLE DAY and you'll be fine. The leaving cert isn't really that hard. Just don't let nerves get to you at all. I was fine right up until the day the leaving started and then I started to panic, I just had to take an hour or so to calm down and realise that it most definitely is not the end of the world! The end part goes a whole lot quicker because your studying, preparing for graduation, planning the debs, trying to fit in some kind of a social life and doing projects and everything else.

It's by far the best year though so enjoy it while it lasts. You'll be dying to leave by the end of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

I felt it went really fast around after the mocks, about March. At the start of the actual Leaving Cert. I was like "Oh god these exams are going so slow", but after 2 of them it just flew by :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Strange… I didn't feel it fly by at all. 5th year: now that flew by for me. I can't even remember 5th year/ anything I learned in 5th year. The last 2 months before the exam (from my perspective) felt really, really long. I think if you're a crammer, the final stages will feel longer. If you work at a steady rate it may fly by.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It certainly will fly by, so put it to good use!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nowhere94

I don't know where first year went tbh..
    but seriously study, do not keep putting it off because june arrives alot faster than you'd think!
    Also small bit of advice from experience; if you have projects, history, home ec, construction etc etc, try to get them out of the way before september! :P

nowhere94 wrote: »
    I don't know where first year went tbh..
    but seriously study, do not keep putting it off because june arrives alot faster than you'd think!
    Also small bit of advice from experience; if you have projects, history, home ec, construction etc etc, try to get them out of the way before september! :P

I didn't get any projects tbh. What subjects require projects?

fontdor wrote: »
    I didn't get any projects tbh. What subjects require projects?

Geography, Technology, History, Engineering, DCG, Construction Studies, Art, Home Economics, Agricultural Science etc.

mathstalk wrote: »
    Geography, Technology, History, Engineering, DCG, Construction Studies, Art, Home Economics, Agricultural Science etc.

Well thankfully I have not picked any of these subjects

fontdor wrote: »
    Well thankfully I have not picked any of these subjects

Let me guess… Physics, Chemistry, Biology, French?

• Advertisement

mathstalk wrote: »
    Let me guess… Physics, Chemistry, Biology, French?

Chemistry,French,Biology,Business

Advertisement