Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog rolling in fox poo

• 01-08-2012 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any tips for stopping my dog rolling in fox poo?
    It's bloody frustrating at this stage. Every evening this week I've had to wash him down but the smell still kinda lingers. I don't want to be using shampoo on him all the time in case it irritates his skin, even though he's tough enough that way.
    Or any tips to on how to get rid of the smell?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Does anyone have any tips for stopping my dog rolling in fox poo?
    It's bloody frustrating at this stage. Every evening this week I've had to wash him down but the smell still kinda lingers. I don't want to be using shampoo on him all the time in case it irritates his skin, even though he's tough enough that way.
    Or any tips to on how to get rid of the smell?

Why don't you use a tea tree dog shampoo watered down? Also I bought this spray years ago called magic coat freshening spray which works a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

My dog has a habit of rolling in Swan Poo and I can tell you it smells vile!!! The only way I have of getting rid of the smell is to give her a full wash with shampoo - if I tried to just hose it off she smells awful once dried. I have to really watch her in the park and If I see her sniffing too long in a particular spot I know to pull her away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Check out the website gorgeous guineas the shampoo etc. they sell in mainly for guinea pigs but they carry a dog shampoo specifically for getting rid of fox poo. I've used lots of their products over the years and they're very gentle but smell great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Vinegar as you wash the dog, sprinkle onto the affected part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Our dog used to love to roll in cow poop. We used to use Johnsons baby shampoo. Of course he couldn't wait to get out the next day to do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

I would use tomato ketchup then vinegar (check that his skin is not broken as it will sting otherwise). Then wash the dog with normal shampoo that you use. Also wear gloves as foxes are meat eaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Thanks for the replies.
    I know he does it to mask his own scent but it's bloody annoying.
    If he's not gnawing on horse poop he's rolling in the fox poop. And then he has the cheek to think he can snuggle on the couch with me & give me sloppy kisses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

God the fox poo really is vile isn't it????
    Two of our three love it, one more than the other and there must be a fox "nest" (can't think of the right name) around cos they always find a bit. My stomach heaves at the stench.

What u mean by "they're meat eaters?" I know they're meat eaters but does that mean their poo is more vile than other poo (apart from the stench)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If it's just his neck he's rolling in it a bandana will help limit the damage as well as making him look dapper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

tk123 wrote: »
    If it's just his neck he's rolling in it a bandana will help limit the damage as well as making him look dapper ;)
    Putting a bandana on him is just challenging him to see how long before its wrecked. I'd love if he did wear one, they look class, but he has other ideas of doggy fashion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

God the fox poo really is vile isn't it????
    Two of our three love it, one more than the other and there must be a fox "nest" (can't think of the right name) around cos they always find a bit. My stomach heaves at the stench.

What u mean by "they're meat eaters?" I know they're meat eaters but does that mean their poo is more vile than other poo (apart from the stench)

Its not for the smell but what can be transmitted ie Toxocara canis (form of roundworm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Our new pup has taken a liking to rolling in fox poo. He never goes out walking now without his dog coat on. It's a lot easier to wash the coat than the dog...... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They're so proud of themselves after they roll as well, thinkin they're gorgeous. Mind you my middle girl knows full well straight after a roll in something she goes all sheepish sometimes what they roll in doesn't smell or doesn't smell bad but she knows if it's fox poop or something really nasty it's straight in the bath. I hate doing that really because they do love a good roll, sometimes esp. in summer when they're all out and about all day..and if they stay away from me lol I'll let them hang on to the smell for a bit longer just coz they love it so much. Au de madra rua phewy.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

The really big problem with the fox poo is that it can cause your dog to get mange which is a real pain in the ****:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had to post this here; http://theoatmeal.com/comics/my_dog

Anyhoos, I think dogs do it because it is an old instinct that he still has that goes off in his head. He is trying to cover up his own scent.

The best way to stop him doing it is to let him roll in it when he's on the lead, then give out to him whilst he rolling in it, and/or immediately after, so that he learns that it's bad behaviour, and hope that he learns not to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have tried the above, tried leave it(usually this works on almost everything), shouting, running and grabbing, hosing down with cold water in garden, Only thing works is keeping them on the lead and avoiding it.
    Anyone finds a solution let me know!

mymo wrote: »
    hosing down with cold water in garden
    Unless done immediately after the event, the dog will not associate the deed with the punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

the_syco wrote: »
    Unless done immediately after the event, the dog will not associate the deed with the punishment.
    I know, but it's happened in our garden too, when we first moved in a fox was coming through the garden and leaving presents for dogs most nights. Caught them in the act several times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Caught mine in the act this morning, so hopefully giving out to her will work. She stank.

mymo wrote: »
    a fox was coming through the garden and leaving presents for dogs most nights
    Moth balls seem to deter them coming in. Or get a dude to piss where the fox goes through the hedge; the strong human scent will help deter the fox from doing it's business on your lawn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement