Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braising Steak

Options
  • 01-08-2012 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what meat is best for a good braised steak? I have been using round steak as I asked the butcher for braising steak. Would this be the best for flavour? It would defo have to be a lean meat good quality. And how much meat should I buy to make four decent dinners out of?

Also I have just been using Bisto to thicken it.. would love a few tips to make it tasty?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

My favourite is beef shin - its so cheap. Its not leanest but to be honest lean meat isnt really suitable fot braising as it goes tough. You need the fat and collagen for long cooking as it breaks down keeping it lovey and moist and it has so much more flavour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

mrsnewbie wrote: »
    Hello,

It would defo have to be a lean meat good quality.

That's the problem really.

lean cuts of meats aren't really suitable for braising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mrsnewbie

I knew I was doing something wrong.. thank you will try that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Get some beef cheek. It's probably my favorite cut of beef, moreso because my butcher gives it to me free along with the rest of the weekly meats I cook up. Braised for 8 hours, it's amazing.

Serve with a red wine jus and wasabi creme fraiche if we've company, otherwise, chow down with sweet potato/butternut squash mash and smokey chipotle Tobasco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

OldBean wrote: »
    Get some beef cheek. It's probably my favorite cut of beef, moreso because my butcher gives it to me free along with the rest of the weekly meats I cook up. Braised for 8 hours, it's amazing.

Great advice.

Cheek is an epic piece of beef.

Shin and oxtail are also bloody amazing.

Great thing about them all is they are cheap as chips, they do take a bit of love and care though.

If you have a slow cooker you can just turn it on when you leave for work and when you come home, meal done and ready for eating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you are looking for a cut for slow braise in a slow cooker ot presure cooker, I'd go with the shin or cheek suggested above.

Or if you are looking to braise something in a pan in c.1hr then I'd go with an less tough cut like chuck or rib.

Here's a recipe I used recently, it was originally longer but I improvised a lot.

Braised Beef

2eschalots, diced
    2garlic cloves, crushed
    4 x 250g rib steak or chuck beef
    200ml red wine
    1 x 400gcan tomatoes
    500mlbeef stock
    Juice of one orange
    15ml red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 chipotle chilli, chopped
    1 ancho chilli, chopped

3. For the braised beef, heat some oil in a pressure cooker,
    add the eschalots and garlic and cook until golden.
    Add the steak and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
    Deglaze with the red wine,
    add the tomatoes, beef stock, orange juice, vinegar, cayenne, and chillies.
    Bring to a simmer then place on lid, heat until whistling and cook for 30 minutes.
    Release pressure and reduce sauce by half.

Advertisement