Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 01-08-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody around the Blanchardstown area commute daily to Dun Laoghaire?
    I've been offered a job there and I'd normally jump on it but the commute is putting me off. Id be taking the car to work and I don't wanna be stuck in traffic for hours every morning and evening. The job is a bit more money than I'm on in my current job so that would well cover the fuel costs etc, it's just my sanity I'm worried about!!
    Anybody have any experience doin this journey?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I reckon on the m50 it wouldn't be that long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

have you considered getting the train? trains from coolmine to dun laoighe are about an hour including change over.

sample times for tomorrow:
    dep/arr
    0640/0735
    0657/0803
    0716/0818
    0734/0829
    0751/0850
    0816/0903
    0839/0933
    0859/0958

depends how close you are to clonsilla / coolmine / castleknock stations and how far you work from the train in dun of course

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

You could drive through and park near the NCR gate in the park and get the 46a from Imfirmery Rd straight to Dun Laoghaire. Very regular Service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

+1 for train, seems best option to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
    I never really thought of the train.
    I think I'll take a trial run both in the car and on the train and compare both routes.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Dean09 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
    I never really thought of the train.
    I think I'll take a trial run both in the car and on the train and compare both routes.
    Cheers.

Consider the financial benefits of the taxsaver train ticket and the toll/petrol/wear & tear on the car. Might be financially attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I driver over to the N11 everyday I leave at 6.30 and it take less than 30 minutes. A 5pm it take around 40-45 minutes to get home

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Westmanstown / Clonsilla to Dun Laoghaire every morning by car, via N3 - M50 and to Dun Laoghaire via junction 14 or 16

7am - 30 mins
    8am - 45 mins
    9am 35-40 mins

Return journey in the evening never any longer than 40 mins

The only exception to that is if theres a crash ahead on the M50, which will add 10 or 15 mins to the above times, and in my experience that happens around once a month

I use the train occasionally if going on the beer and the door to door time for me on the one direct train in the morning, if its on time, is 1 hr 20 mins

Quick cost comparison:

Diesel + Tolls (€4 per day) €190 per month

Train station parking + monthly rail ticket €152

So, there is a bit of a saving by rail, even more if you dont need to park at the station, however you lose all the flexibility of having your car with you, and in the winter the train can be a packed and draining experience

I know im not the poster child for sustainable commuting, but im happy to dispel the myth that its the obvious choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

My younger sister commuted on the train for 2 years going to college. She compared it versus the bus routes and the trainer was far far easier and quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Ive done it a few times across the m50 and get off at cherrywood. Its handy enough and less hassle than going through town.
    The train is also handy enough if you dont want to take the car but it takes longer and you could be standing into town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

I took the train to Dun Laoghaire from Coolmine for 8 years, its an easy run, either you get the direct train or more likely switch at Connolly or Pearse. DL station is fairly central for everywhere in Dun Laoghaire itself. If you switch to a Dart, you can always get off at Sandycove/Monkstown if that is closer to your office in Dun Laoghaire.

Also commuted to Sandyford daily for a couple of years - the most stressful commute of my life, I was delighted to stop doing it.

I'd go for the train every time. You can park on the road at Coolmine for free, or pay for the car park there or in Clonsilla station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sixinchheels

Hi,

Just wondering if you're still doing this commute? I'm starting a job (9-5-ish) in Dun Laoghaire next week and will be driving from Blanch, I'm currently looking for someone to share the toll costs etc. Let me know if you're interested!

Advertisement