Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone for a Luddite

Options
  • 01-08-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

So my mother was asking me today whether she should get an iPhone 4 or Samsung S2. I've only ever used an iPhone so I really wasn't sure how to answer.

She's not the most technologically savvy person and can find new technology challenging but she get's there eventually. I want to recommend something that she'll be able to get a handle on quick enough.

Of the two she mentioned which would be the most user friendly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

iphone most likely.

If she's anything like my mother she would hate the size of the S2. It's pretty massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

in my experience iphone is perfect for anyone not technologically minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

I would have thought the same as welll, before getting my mother a Samsung GS2. The size of the screen is great since everything is so big, making it easier to use. I would say that the iPhone would be slightly easier to use, but ICS is a great OS which anyone can pick up the basics of very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, it might be useful to tell us what model phone your mother is using at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How about bringing her to a phone shop and let her have a go at each?
    It's just easier for you and her if she can try them out a bit in the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Thanks everyone!
    OP, it might be useful to tell us what model phone your mother is using at the moment.

My mother's current phone is probably near 10 years old (Siemens I believe), so what ever she gets it'll be totally new.

How about bringing her to a phone shop and let her have a go at each?

I'd love to but she lives in another country - so I can't even help her get started.

I think iPhone might be the way as it's the model I'm most familiar with and can actually help her with issues if they arise.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

My dad picked up a new S2. Loves the screen size, how it fits his hands nicely and the way he can set it up to suit his needs. He uses gmail, sms and browsing and has now installed lots of news apps. Very happy man.

He's 83.
    Dortilolma wrote: »
    So my mother was asking me today whether she should get an iPhone 4 or Samsung S2. I've only ever used an iPhone so I really wasn't sure how to answer.

She's not the most technologically savvy person and can find new technology challenging but she get's there eventually. I want to recommend something that she'll be able to get a handle on quick enough.

Of the two she mentioned which would be the most user friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Also have a look at the Lumia 800. Very good OS and a lovely phone. Almost as good as iPhone and much better IMHO than any android phone. Very powerful yet easy to use and has free offline GPS functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

I recently got the Huawei Ascend for my wife and she absolutely loves it. She was with vodafone and they stock it so she hadn't to go looking for sim free or unlock codes.

I'd highly recommend it for a low cost smart phone.

Advertisement