Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorised valve question

Options
  • 01-08-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

I have installed a few of motorised valves to 'zone' the heating system in the house. While I was re-introducing the water to the system after draining it I had the valves in turn actuated by means of a 13a plug which worked out fine. So then I connected the valves to the controls and 2 of them are working fine but when the other one gets actuated the RCD in the fuse board tripps out:confused: Re-connect it via the 13a plug and it works fine.

Any ideas?
    The valve in question is rated to 3a.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mugser wrote: »
    I have installed a few of motorised valves to 'zone' the heating system in the house. While I was re-introducing the water to the system after draining it I had the valves in turn actuated by means of a 13a plug which worked out fine. So then I connected the valves to the controls and 2 of them are working fine but when the other one gets actuated the RCD in the fuse board tripps out:confused: Re-connect it via the 13a plug and it works fine.

Any ideas?
    The valve in question is rated to 3a.
    You may have the neutral mixed up.

Remember if the live is fed via the RCD the corresponding neutral has to be fed through the same RCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

quickly confirm the actuator is fine by swapping the connections of an other actuator
    this will confirm whether the wiring or valve is the problem

(there may be no rcd protection on the socket circuit you done a temporary on )

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

2011 wrote: »
    You may have the neutral mixed up.

Remember if the live is fed via the RCD the corresponding neutral has to be fed through the same RCD.

Nope, the polarity is definitely correct, I'm thinking maybe that 2 valves might too much of a load on the controller. Will probably stick in a wee contactor to do the job.

I'm thinking maybe that 2 valves might too much of a load on the controller.

doubtful
    you should use the auxiliary contacts on the valve to switch boiler on/off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Nope, the polarity is definitely correct, I'm thinking maybe that 2 valves might too much of a load on the controller. Will probably stick in a wee contactor to do the job.

Its not about polarity though. Its about having both the live and neutral that is supplying the valve, through the (same) rcd. If only live is through it, or only neutral, or the neutral is connected to an earth, then the RCD will tripwhen the valve motor is energised . Reversing the valve 230v supply polarity wouldnt cause it.

If the valve has an earth fault, then it would trip the RCD when you plug it in, unless the socket you are using is not through an RCD itself.

The load on the control setup wouldnt have any bearing either if connections through an RCD are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Major blonde moment:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
    Netral connected to the incorrect rail:o:o:o:o

we have all done it;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    we have all done it;)
    Affirmative ! :D

meercat wrote: »
    doubtful
    you should use the auxiliary contacts on the valve to switch boiler on/off
    Exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rum and coke

Guilty

• Advertisement
Advertisement