Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young free and single

Options
  • 01-08-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a few single friends, all female, age 27-40 ish.
    There seems to be no where for anyone to meet a nice guy.So any suggestions where to have a girls night out, so they can meet nice SINGLE, as in not married men:)
    Balbriggan, Skerries area.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't think that you will find any bar in the area that is exclusively for 'singles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

Ollie's in Skerries is a great bar for that age group. Not sure about the percentage of singletons there of a Saturday evening though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Do they have hobbies? Drama, Walking clubs, sport, Book clubs? I know 2 girls who I used to work with joined a walking club in Dublin and one of them maried a fella she met on one of her first outings and the other girl married a fella she met through another girl on an outing. Change of scenary might be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

J
    LeoB wrote: »
    Do they have hobbies? Drama, Walking clubs, sport, Book clubs? I know 2 girls who I used to work with joined a walking club in Dublin and one of them maried a fella she met on one of her first outings and the other girl married a fella she met through another girl on an outing. Change of scenary might be a good idea.

I might arrange a night out in skerries so. My hubbie has a pain in his face with me asking him about single friends .

There hobbies would varie because of ages and some have kids some don't . It's mad I think they will all have to wait till I turn the big 40 in November and I'll have a big party and you never know I might even get to water a bridesmaid dress out of it ;)

No I think ollies it is. Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

cathy01 wrote: »
    J

I might arrange a night out in skerries so. My hubbie has a pain in his face with me asking him about single friends .

There hobbies would varie because of ages and some have kids some don't . It's mad I think they will all have to wait till I turn the big 40 in November and I'll have a big party and you never know I might even get to water a bridesmaid dress out of it ;)

I heard Salsa dancing is good but not enough guys take part, everyone makes a fool of themselves so barriers broke down without the need for booze and healthy hobby. I don't know if Balbriggan or Skerries have any dance schools for older people.

Your question in your OP was asked in the the Gentlemen Lounge many times and someone suggested the idea of a singles Quiz night were the men and women get mixed up into Quiz teams. It be an interested idea for a local pub or club to try out.

• Advertisement

J

I heard Salsa dancing is good but not enough guys take part, everyone makes a fool of themselves so barriers broke down without the need for booze and healthy hobby. I don't know if Balbriggan or Skerries have any dance schools for older people.

Your question in your OP was asked in the the Gentlemen Lounge many times and someone suggested the idea of a singles Quiz night were the men and women get mixed up into Quiz teams. It be an interested idea for a local pub or club to try out.

Really great idea now all we need is a pub to run it. Oh and you'd have to show yr single like if I went with one or tow of my friends I'd hate to have to go because I'm not single , wearing a red flower is dated but effective . Anyone on good terms with a bar manager????

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ollie's in Skerries is a great bar for that age group. Not sure about the percentage of singletons there of a Saturday evening though. :)

+1 to ollies. Of course you can't guarantee singles, but it's where I'd be starting.

I'll have a chat with Ollie (we are old pals) when he is back from hols & see if he will set something up.

I'll have a chat with Ollie (we are old pals) when he is back from hols & see if he will set something up.
    Ah great can you let me know I would have a good few female friends but only about 4 males . Sure it would be a laugh a bit of fun , no need to bring a ring already boxed and knee pads just in case :) stranger things have happened. I'm off to buy a hat just in case . :))))))))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Pics or GTFO!!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Blue bar FTW but theyre better to be involved in a club or sports or something like that. meeting on a night out is a terrible way to hook up. its so old school and usually involves too much beer to make it memorable!!! saying that, I met my ex (of 7 years) in the old Coast inn :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Tbh I wouldn't recommend Balbriggan for this kind of thing at all... I've been living here for the past few months and nightlife only seems to range from "old mens pubs" to some pretty rough hangouts for the younger crowd... I'm in my early 20s but I can't imagine it'd be much better for those in their late 20s/ early 30s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

I'd formally like to object to the insulting characterisation of married men and note the absence of married women from the same characterisation.

I'm told that I am a happily married man.

Siuin wrote: »
    Tbh I wouldn't recommend Balbriggan for this kind of thing at all... I've been living here for the past few months and nightlife only seems to range from "old mens pubs" to some pretty rough hangouts for the younger crowd... I'm in my early 20s but I can't imagine it'd be much better for those in their late 20s/ early 30s

I think we should wait for THB to get back after he talks with the crowd from ollies. I'd say it would be fun. What do you think ???

SeaSide wrote: »
    I'd formally like to object to the insulting characterisation of married men and note the absence of married women from the same characterisation.
    Objection overruled! :)
    SeaSide wrote: »
    I'm told that I am a happily married man.
    I've seen your photo. You don't look that happy. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ooh, totally forgot about that!! :D

I'd suggest joining a club of some sort. Whether they meet a male companion there or not, they will more than likely increase their circle of friends which is always a good thing. :)

Well I spoke to a few and they loved the idea of the quiz night , so I'd say it's a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Well I spoke to a few and they loved the idea of the quiz night , so I'd say it's a runner.

You do know you can't go Cathy?:D Run it as a charity night and anyone that is attached that turns up gets a 50 euro fine, its a fun way to discourage the curious attached(both men and women) otherwise like all these events half the room turns out to be attached but just here with single friends....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I can't imagine meeting a future partner in a bar. I met mine in the local, at the time, laundry.

I think bars, clubs etc are a cliched idea. Everyone I know met their partner through other means such as: university, friends etc. As has been pointed out- if they have any interests get them to pursue classes/outings in that area and see where it might lead.

I can't imagine meeting a future partner in a bar. I met mine in the local, at the time, laundry.

I think bars, clubs etc are a cliched idea. Everyone I know met their partner through other means such as: university, friends etc. As has been pointed out- if they have any interests get them to pursue classes/outings in that area and see where it might lead.

Not wanting to get all romantic or anything but I met my hubbie in a nightclub, I knew as soon as I met him that I'd marry him honestly. I even told his mam on date no 2 after having a few , cringe anyway I know some of my friends won't go unless I hold their hands or at least reassure them that it's going to be a fun night. So I suggest maybe two teams single and not single worded better of course. Maybe leave it up to mr ollie to decide. But hurry up I was talking to another friend shes good looking age 32 single and soooo fed up, HURRY up mr olly
    :)

• Advertisement

Hi Cathy - As I mentioned in an earlier post - Ollie is on holidays. I will speak with him when he gets back in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

The Harvest in Balbriggan has a good mix of all ages.

Hi Cathy - As I mentioned in an earlier post - Ollie is on holidays. I will speak with him when he gets back in a couple of weeks.

Yep thanks sorry about that.:o
    Looking forward to it, Cathy:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Harvest is a good spot, agreed to a certain degree, the bar is a warm up bar for those planning on a full night out clubbing. However its a well run spot, i worked there for 10 years and its my mates family that own it and the milestone across the road - you wont get any fights or crap happening there like you may get in other pubs.

De bruins had so much potential before it became a haven for those members of balbriggan society who were barred from other establishments in the town. Before they f**ked it up it was called Enisses and easily the best put in skerries, rush or balbriggan!!!

The cock tavern is a nice spot in swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

God I am getting nostalgic remembering Ennis's - great pub about 10 years ago when I moved to Balbriggan. Buzzing on a Wednesday night.

The Lounge (former O'Sheas) in Balbriggan is pretty good on a Friday night if there is a good band. Nice mixed age group and lively. Drogheda has some decent pubs too and a late bus from the Station at 1.45 so its handy.

As regards meeting people for the over 30's I would reckon clubs/activities are a far better bet. But sure - your friends should go out and enjoy the craic in the pubs and don't focus too much on meeting someone.

I was going through my hubbies old crap as I call it and found a load if ennis money. It must be about 25 years old. Priceless now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Tell them to get out and about. Join a club or something! People you pick up in bars can be a bad idea tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

The strand Bar in Rush seems fairly decent with a good mix of clientele at week ends.

If you female friends just put a copy of 50 shades of grey on the table they would have plenty of interest fairly quickly;)

LeoB wrote: »
    The strand Bar in Rush seems fairly decent with a good mix of clientele at week ends.

If you female friends just put a copy of 50 shades of grey on the table they would have plenty of interest fairly quickly;)

Hahaha, very good, might actually get them to do that.The look on the peoples faces would be priceless.

• Advertisement

I just had a chat with Ollie & he thinks the Singles Pub Quiz is a fun idea. He's going to see if he can get one arranged.

I'll let you know if/when one is arranged.

Advertisement