Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye infection

• 01-08-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

We have an 11month old lurcher pup which we adopted 6 months ago. She's been pretty healthy since we got her, bar a bout of kennel cough a few months ago, which we got treated obviously.

She appears to have developed an infection in her eyes. There's green/yellow gunk in the corners of her eyes, which comes back a few hours after being wiped away. None on her eyelids or anything, just in the corners. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, but I'd say it's annoying for her. If we don't catch the "gunk" in time, it's goes really hard and is very difficult to clean off.

Am I right in thinking this is conjunctivitis? Sorry for my ignorance, but is this something which warrants a trip to the vet tomorrow morning? Or is it one of those things that goes away by itself/with some salt water?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

sparrow7 wrote: »
    Hi,

We have an 11month old lurcher pup which we adopted 6 months ago. She's been pretty healthy since we got her, bar a bout of kennel cough a few months ago, which we got treated obviously.

She appears to have developed an infection in her eyes. There's green/yellow gunk in the corners of her eyes, which comes back a few hours after being wiped away. None on her eyelids or anything, just in the corners. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, but I'd say it's annoying for her. If we don't catch the "gunk" in time, it's goes really hard and is very difficult to clean off.

Am I right in thinking this is conjunctivitis? Sorry for my ignorance, but is this something which warrants a trip to the vet tomorrow morning? Or is it one of those things that goes away by itself/with some salt water?

Thanks!

I would bring her to vet and they will give you an antibiotic eye drop e.g maxitrol. It is cheap €6/€8 and works fast. I wouldn't leave it as conjunctivitis can be uncomfortable and dog may wipe eye with dirty paws and make it worse! I have heard of people using over the counter drops from pharmacy e.g brolene but I have only ever used maxitrol

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

A friend of mine has a dog that prone to conjunctivitis. They usually give him a penicillin tube, squirt a bit in the eye & massage it in.
    I'd bring him to the vet though just to be on the safe side. The drops sound much easier to use tbh.
    EDIT: the had him at the vet initially so they didn't just decide to treat him themselves. Forgot to mention that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sparrow7

Millem wrote: »
    I would bring her to vet and they will give you an antibiotic eye drop e.g maxitrol. It is cheap €6/€8 and works fast. I would leave it as conjunctivitis can be uncomfortable and dog may wipe eye with dirty paws and make it worse! I have heard of people using over the counter drops from pharmacy e.g brolene but I have only ever used maxitrol

Thanks guys..
    Definitely going to go to the vet tomorrow. It looks pretty nasty and she's constantly pawing at it. Not so nice.
    Good to know it's not too serious though!

Advertisement