Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jailbreaking problem Recovery loop

• 01-08-2012 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend's iPhone 3G was jailbroken (not sure which IPSW).
    Everything worked fine for 6 months then it started running very slow. I tried to restore it to a stock IPSW downloaded online using iTunes. That worked but I had no network signal. I tried another IPSW and its stuck on the connect to iTunes screen.

dqopwg.png

When I try to restore it to ANY custom IPSW using ctrl+clicking on restore on iTunes it hangs on this:
    2e5tjpx.png
    And the phone hangs on the connect to iTunes screen.

When I try to restore just by clicking on the restore button it gets about 75% complete then gives the 1015 error message and the phone is showing connect to iTunes after this.

Additionally, the phone is in a "Recovery loop". I cannot enter DFU mode when the phone is connected via USB. If I go into DFU or turn off the phone when connected via USB it will go to the connect to iTunes screen as soon as the USB is connected.

I can use TinyUmbrella to get out of recovery mode but it restarts and goes straight back in. I cannot use the fixRecovery option because I cannot get into DFU when connected via USB.
    Any help or suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dsender

Assuming SHSH blobs are saved you need to add an entry into windows hosts file to direct apple.com to sauriks server. Then put it dfu mode and begin the restore again... should work.

Google changing the hosts sauriks server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

dsender wrote: »
    Assuming SHSH blobs are saved you need to add an entry into windows hosts file to direct apple.com to sauriks server. Then put it dfu mode and begin the restore again... should work.

Google changing the hosts sauriks server.

But I can't get into DFU mode. It just has the connect to iTunes image on the screen. It turns off after 10 mins or so but won't go into DFU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

How are you trying to get it into DFU

guil wrote: »
    How are you trying to get it into DFU

Using the 2 buttons on the iphone. Both buttons together for 10 secs then just home.

That's just rebooting the phone, with it off hold the power for 3 seconds then both for 10 and then just the home for about 8 seconds

• Advertisement

That's just rebooting the phone, with it off hold the power for 3 seconds then both for 10 and then just the home for about 8 seconds

Yea thats what im doing. It worked before and I've tried a few hundred times.

What you described you done won't put it in DFU. Make sure you hold the power/sleep for 3 seconds before

What you described you done won't put it in DFU. Make sure you hold the power/sleep for 3 seconds before

Yes that's what I'm doing. I posted a short version incase there was another way to do it (without pressing 2 buttons.)

You don't understand. Holding the power and home simultaneously never has and never will be a short version to get in to DFU

You don't understand. Holding the power and home simultaneously never has and never will be a short version to get in to DFU

I wrote that as a short version because I didn't think I had to explain here what DFU mode is in detail. Here is EXACTLY what I was doing:
    Hold the power button for 2/3 seconds, while holding this hold the home button also for 10 seconds then release the power button and continue to hold the home button.
    I am doing this exactly the same way as with all other iphones and ipod touches that I jailbroke before. This worked before on this iphone but wont work now.

• Advertisement

Sorry for being pedantic but the actual order is power for 3 seconds on its own then continue holding it and hold home aswell for 10 seconds. Release power and it takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds to enter DFU.

Anyway I think I had something similar before with a 3GS. When I get home I'll check my laptop and see what I used to fix it and let you know

Sorry for being pedantic but the actual order is power for 3 seconds on its own then continue holding it and hold home aswell for 10 seconds. Release power and it takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds to enter DFU.

Anyway I think I had something similar before with a 3GS. When I get home I'll check my laptop and see what I used to fix it and let you know

Thanks.

try this but obviously disregard the bit about downgrading
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73434610&postcount=2143

try this but obviously disregard the bit about downgrading
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73434610&postcount=2143
    when it restores it will give an error 10xx that the iphone cant be restored and to try it again, go back to tiny umbrella and click on the iphone and click fix recovery

I can't see that working because IIRC you need to be in DFUto use Fix Recovery in TinyUmbrella.

I'll give it a go in a bit.

I'm nearly sure there's a way to enter DFU while connecting it to a computer. Have a look on goggle for it as I think it's a slightly different process

Thanks for your help I have it sorted now.
    I disassembled the iPhone and noticed the power button sitting at a weird angle. Reassembled everything and got into DFU no bother :)
    The button pressed fine before but there was nothing under it.

Have it re-jailbroken and am manually adding in contacts now.

I'm nearly sure there's a way to enter DFU while connecting it to a computer. Have a look on goggle for it as I think it's a slightly different process

Oh and as for this...
    you make a IPSW that will put the phone into DFU mode at the end of a restore attempt from recovery mode:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=23009

Advertisement