Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roberto Carlos Retires aged 39

• 01-08-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

A sad day for the footballing world to say the least. I'll always remember his free kick against france

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thought he retired years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

ShamoBuc wrote: »

he was with anzi in Russia last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Enjoyed a wonderful career. Dipped off the radar the past few years at Fernabache and the likes, but an indication of his ability that he kept playing at the top level all the way to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ShamoBuc wrote: »

It's only official now, but he retired months ago and took a job elsewhere in the club when Anzhi did not register him as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Oddly enough altho the free kick was great, 2 other things i recall him doing stand out more.

theres another where he gets on the end of a punt and volleys from the goal line accross goal and someone smashes it in (its like the ultimate heads and volley goal scored in a match) cant find it on youtube tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Christ, i read this that he was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

With all the talk of his great free kicks, I probably only seen him score two decent ones for Brazil. The one against France and one against Jamaica. Very good player but most of his free kicks ended up in row z.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One of the best players I ever seen live. Athletic beyond belief. He didnt mark forwards, they marked him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Me too.

Anyway, fantastic player. Didn't realise he was 39 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Legend.

May he retire in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

savage player back in the day.. i remember years ago when iss pro evo 2 on the playstation 1, i used to play with brazil and could litrally score freekicks anywhere on the pitch with him.. a few from the half way line and all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

madma wrote: »
    savage player back in the day.. i remember years ago when iss pro evo 2 on the playstation 1, i used to play with brazil and could litrally score freekicks anywhere on the pitch with him.. a few from the half way line and all

Think you're getting him mixed up with Roberto Larcos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Jeez what is it with all these great players retiring recently..makes me feel old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Ha i remember he would take a ridiculous long run up to the free kick in either pro evo or fifa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Think you're getting him mixed up with Roberto Larcos

haha had a flashback there.. those fake names were gas.. so similar but funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

NIMAN wrote: »
    One of the best players I ever seen live. Athletic beyond believe. He didnt mark forwards, they marked him.

Ha what a great way of putting it. Him and Cafu were the ultimate full backs. They never seemed to get tired at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Read this as "Roberto Carlos Dies aged 39".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

One of the most over rated players of recent times. Was good, but not world class as he is made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I honestly thought he had retired already.

Smashing player and one hell of a free kick taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fart wrote: »
    I honestly thought he had retired already.

Smashing player and one hell of a free kick taker.

Was a great free kick taker though? I don't think so, the whole "take a long run up, belt the sh*te out of the ball and see what happens" routine was more miss than hit.

Fantastic athlete and great to watch going forward, but his free kick abilities are overrated and he wasn't the soundest of defenders.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Was a great free kick taker though? I don't think so, the whole "take a long run up, belt the sh*te out of the ball and see what happens" routine was more miss than hit.

Fantastic athlete and great to watch going forward, but his free kick abilities are overrated and he wasn't the soundest of defenders.

Are there any players whose routine is more hit than miss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Most players miss more than they score, but Carlos was pretty terrible at times. That goal against France was beyond incredible. A once-in-a-lifetime kind of shot, but how many other free-kicks did he score?

Am I right in saying that he even took free-kicks ahead of Zidane, Figo and Beckham while he was at Madrid, or is my mind playing tricks on me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fair point, but his was a lot more hit and hope than the likes of Juninho, Beckham etc. Brain over braun if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Fair point, but his was a lot more hit and hope than the likes of Juninho, Beckham etc. Brain over braun if you will.

sorry but no he had the technique with the power, he had a specific way of placing the ball so he would all ways strike below the valve on either side depending on which way he wanted the ball to swerve.
    the idea had sound physics base.
    Juninho, Ronaldo basically copied him.

he was top draw and deffo world class, he was the best wing back going could defend and boy could he attack.

he scored some of the best goals i've ever and will ever see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

woodyg wrote: »
    sorry but no he had the technique with the power, he had a specific way of placing the ball so he would all ways strike below the valve on either side depending on which way he wanted the ball to swerve.
    the idea had sound physics base.
    Juninho, Ronaldo basically copied him.

he was top draw and deffo world class, he was the best wing back going could defend and boy could he attack.

he scored some of the best goals i've ever and will ever see.

I knew Pirlo and Juninho always did this, didn't know Carlos did too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

While you are correct, I don't see how you could criticize Carlos and let Ronaldo off. I mean Ronaldo's conversion rate from free kicks is awful.

You let them away with it because the 1 in 20 is an absolute screamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pretty sure Juninho of Lyon has some sick record of getting 1 in every two on target.

Greatest free kick taker ever tbh.

The whole argument re: 'great' free takers.

Many have been touted as 'great' yet they have a poor success rate. Becks was a prime example. He scored a few belters and then everyone thought he was the best at them. I remember he went to MAdrid for a few seasons, took about 200 and scored maybe 2 or 3. I could do that!

Ronaldo is another one now. Again, people remember a few belters. Now he is so theatrical about the whole process, and I see 95% of his hit the wall.

Carlos was a shocking free kick taker, bar that freaky one v France.

And I was shocked by some stat in the Euro2012 when some guy scored a direct free, that it was the 1st goal in the Euros from a direct free since 2004.

Don't believe the hype.

Edit: just Googled some stats.
    Could only get 2010-2011 La Liga season.

During the 2010-2011 Real Madrid took the most shots from direct free kick with 68 scoring 6 goals
    During the 2010-2011 Barcelona took only 31 shots from direct free kick with Messi scoring their 1 goal
    Ronaldo took 52 shots at net from direct free kicks 34 more than the next player in La Liga scoring 5 goals

Pretty poor show all round

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

NIMAN wrote: »
    The whole argument re: 'great' free takers.

Many have been touted as 'great' yet they have a poor success rate. Becks was a prime example. He scored a few belters and then everyone thought he was the best at them. I remember he went to MAdrid for a few seasons, took about 200 and scored maybe 2 or 3. I could do that!

Ronaldo is another one now. Again, people remember a few belters. Now he is so theatrical about the whole process, and I see 95% of his hit the wall.

Carlos was a shocking free kick taker, bar that freaky one v France.

And I was shocked by some stat in the Euro2012 when some guy scored a direct free, that it was the 1st goal in the Euros from a direct free since 2004.

Don't believe the hype.

Edit: just Googled some stats.
    Could only get 2010-2011 La Liga season.

During the 2010-2011 Real Madrid took the most shots from direct free kick with 68 scoring 6 goals
    During the 2010-2011 Barcelona took only 31 shots from direct free kick with Messi scoring their 1 goal
    Ronaldo took 52 shots at net from direct free kicks 34 more than the next player in La Liga scoring 5 goals

Pretty poor show all round

Andrea Pirlo isn't just some guy :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gosplan wrote: »

Greatest free kick taker ever tbh.

Ronald Koeman. It was like havign a peno at one stage.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

.. and barely a mention for Sheva retiring. I despair. Anywhoo.

Overall he is overrared, who's attacking ability provides a thin veil for his averageness defensively, an exceptional athlete though which did savehim a fair bit. World class? Not a chance. Cafu , his fellow countryman, now he was a genuine world class full back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Sad to see. I'm going to attempt an absolutely mental free-kick at my football game today in his honour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A 10% conversion rate from free kicks is probably pretty good (Ronaldo stat above).

How many goals are scored from corners vs. how many corners occurr on average in a match?

astrofool wrote: »
    A 10% conversion rate from free kicks is probably pretty good (Ronaldo stat above).

How many goals are scored from corners vs. how many corners occurr on average in a match?

Don't think you can compare direct free kicks outside the box to corners, 90% of which hit the 1st man;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ronald Koeman. It was like havign a peno at one stage.

Koeman once mentioned in an interview during his Barca days that he would wallop the 1st free kick he took during in match as hard as he could in the wall. Just to strike some fear in them. he could do so because with romario and Stoikov they got many free kicks anyway so he could waste one or 2.

Pierre van Hooijdonk, 2 seasons at Feyenoord (2001-2003).
    54 free kicks, 18 goals.
    Some players have a hard time to better that average that from the penalty spot.

Always a pleasure to see Roberto Carlos on the pitch.
    Cant recall seeing him doing anything nasty

Ok... come on with those clips where he takes sliding tackles at throat height...

Advertisement