Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help a clueless person: how to style a navy dress?

• 01-08-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I bought the dress pictured below to wear to a wedding (I really hope the image isn't too big, if it is please let me know!). I'm never very good at picking outfits and this isn't the kind of thing I'd usually wear, so I'm confused about what would look nice with it (shoes/jewellery/something to keep me warm).

dress.jpg

Some more details:
    - I have red hair and pale skin
    - The dress is a little shiny
    - It's quite frilly, but I don't want to look too fussy

I've been finding it much harder than I thought it would be. I feel like my hair colour and paleness limit my options a bit, and I'm not keen on white/cream. I'd hugely appreciate any advice I can get! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

red shoes and a red bag would look nice with that to bring a nice bit of colour into it - (Its a lovely dress by the way:D)
    the dress does look quite frilly so I wouldnt be over concerned about too much jewellery
    as for something to keep you warm this is where I struggle cos when I have a nice dress I hate hiding it, obviously until I get to the venue I will have a coat on but then once inside I generally tend not to have a pashmena / cardigan / short jacket or anything like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I cant see the photo but I quite like nude shades of suede with navy. I wore a nude/peach pair of shoes with a navy dress last month. I have pale skin too. Put on a light coat of matt sunshimmer to take the blue sheen off my legs but otherwise was pretty pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Amy12345678910

Gorgeous dress!
    Black and Navy is going to be big for autumn winter this year, it's usually a combination that's frowned upon however it's been seen everywhere at the moment.
    If I were to wear that dress I'd wear it with a black blazer, it will smarten it up for the wedding and it'll be on trend,
    As for shoes a navy or black platform would be nice, and you cant go wrong with a nice clutch bag, something glittery or studded in silver would be nice and silver would go well with your colouring and the dress (you could paint your nails silver too for a pretty effect).
    Finally for accessories, something very demure like a silver chain or a watch is all you'd need.

In short, Id keep the over all look simple and pretty, black, silver & navy are gorgeous colour combos and you'll stand out but for the right reasons. :) X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Might be too flamboyant for you, but a navy dress and red hair just screams yellow shoes to me! Maybe mustard/ochre shade. I think its a colour that works v well with red hair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

livinsane wrote: »
    Might be too flamboyant for you, but a navy dress and red hair just screams yellow shoes to me! Maybe mustard/ochre shade. I think its a colour that works v well with red hair.

I was thinking yellow as well!

Also nude, peach, red, dusty pink, white, fuchsia, cream, muted gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

livinsane wrote: »
    Yup, first thing I thought was mustardy yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Hot pinks and creams look divine with navy! Would suit you especially with your red hair and pale complexion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I'd go with mustard shoes or the hot pink option, either would look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 maroon77

Can I ask you where you got this dress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Debenhams have a shoe sale on!! I tried on fabulous coral peep toe heels with little cut outs all over them - they were divine and would suit this I think...

Lemme see if I can find a link!

http://www.debenhams.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10052_10001_053010647112_-1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

OP, I always think certain shades of pink go beautifully with navy - think dusty, rosy pinks.

Like the suggestion of gold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 2layne2

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!! It's given me way more ideas and I'm not so afraid to try out different colours. I had been thinking that coral could be nice, and those shoes from Debenhams look really lovely.

maroon7: I got the dress in TK Maxx about a month ago. It was pretty reasonable too, €40. The label is 'Studio M'. I found it cheaper on ebay after I bought it but it seems to be gone now.

Advertisement