Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wondering about a transfer to trinity maths (2nd)

• 01-08-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all. I'm starting first science at NUIM in September. I am considering applying to trinity 2nd year maths at the end of 2013. I'm a matureish student (24) and have done a lot of preparation to get into the science degree, I did my leaving cert in 2011 and a foundation science course in maynooth in 2012..I'l be taking Mathematical Physics, Comp Sci, Exp Physics and Mathematics in first year

According to Trinity's first maths curriculum I'l be covering everything but the abstract math element of the first year course..which i could possibly take at maynooth at the cost of an extra module a semester.(provided it would strengthen my application) -well secretly i would really love to do it anyway :)

What kind of chance would I have at getting a place in 2nd math at Trinity? I got an A1 in ordinary maths in 2011 and got 195/200 for the maths part of my foundation cert (which covered Integration by parts, substitution and volumes using integration etc..)

I work really hard at maths and absoloutely love it..In the future Id like to go overseas probably to the US..and I'm told (by americans) that trinity is the best recognised here for maths so naturally id like to study there to improve my future prospects...

Any info would be appreciatied :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Why are about to start science at another college when you want to do maths here?
    I'm not sure how these things work, but I think you'd need to have the entry requirements and points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Yes you will need to have the minimum expected for undergraduate entry to the CAO if you are to go into first year. I'm not sure how you would go about transferring into second year though. It's not really a done thing between colleges to change courses and move into an upper year. If you were doing a related degree in TCD like Theoretical Physics or TSM then you can change, but I'm not sure otherwise. I'd advise you to ring the admissions office though, they will know what the situation is. I would think in all likelihood though that you would have to start again in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mrcurious

Lawliet wrote: »
    Why are about to start science at another college when you want to do maths here?

Because I can also get a pure/applied maths degree in NUIM through a Science degree.
    and i did not think that a certificate in science would be considered an adequate prerequisite for starting trinitys ba in mathematics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

To do Maths in Trinity you need at least a B3 in Honours Maths, although it might be different if you're applying with different credits and such under your belt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

This would tend to suggest an application as a mature student has less prerequistes: http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/apply/eu/mature/index.php

There are some matriculation exceptions like a higher level C3 LC maths for Engineering, but the maths degree isn't mentioned....but what that actually means is anyone's guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 clicks

You should contact the department directly, it is very difficult to transfer into maths from science within Trinity but if you are doing NUIMs maths programme you may have enough, your module choices will probably be restricted though.

Advertisement