Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So should eircom be worried?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lowelife wrote: »
    Considering Eircom can't even give me a service I don't see how SKY can do it either.
    I live in a location where I feel none of the big boys in fixed broadband business, feel its worth their while to put any sort of cable/fibre in.

Thats the thing, sadly they won't be.

Its the exact same in the uk....if BT Retail can't give you a ip-stream dsl service then no other dsl provider likely can can as they all use BT Openreach's ip-stream wholesale dsl service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Eircom, i hope they do lose customers and its the only thing they deserve. They've been overcharging for years with every service they have and have been getting away with it. If they had there way DSL will be still be used by everyone in the country today. Only for UPC bringing Cable and Fibre to Ireland have Eircom reacted to it and have slowly started to invest in it.

Eircom, is managed by conservatively mindsetted people, who don't know their head from their ass. They like the other shower who used and still run our banks.

I honestly believe these people are immune to the criticism that exists out there about the company they run. They probably don't hear the complaints and think there company is so fine and dandy. Their image is terrible, but i don't think they get it and care to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

a relative ordered today, the vodafone max value broadband, 150GB additional usage allowance, for €35.98 monthly.

so they have line rental, DSL broadband 165GB data usage for €35.98.

not bad at all, i think this has to be the cheapest on the market currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

From eircom's perspective Sky entering the DSL market's probably a positive thing as it might convince some people to stay with DSL rather than switching over to UPC.

As pointed out above, Sky's essentially using eircom's network + BT Ireland to provide DSL service. Eircom make money out of that. Eircom make zero money out of UPC customers as they're connected to a totally different infrastructural network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Yes I think Eircom should be worried now.

Looking at Solair's post, I interpreted this as suggesting that even if everyone had access to broadband, at any one point in time maybe only a percentage (the EU average of 27.7%) might be willing to pay for it.

So if UPC already have a penetration rate above the EU average in the urban market, then what ADDITIONAL penetration can Eircom hope to make from their fibre investment in the very same market. Will FTTC be that much better or cheaper to persuade people to switch?

If SKY wish to penetrate this market, as they may be using a poorer product than Eircom's FTTC, product differentiation is pointless, it will have to be price differentiation - that is, lower prices. UPC will naturally react, and a price war should break out, with both companies using the broadband as the loss leader in the overall "entertainment" package. This has the effect of forcing everyone else down in price. Yes Eircom will still be getting money from Sky via EsatBT for use of their network, but they will be under pressure to keep cutting their margins to allow other bitstream providers compete with Sky.

Surely this will mean less revenue for Eircom. In the long term, with less revenue available, it will be more difficult to update the areas outside of the urban areas.

Perhaps 4G might come to the rescue of people in these areas. This might hit Eircom in this market.
    But that is how I see it playing out. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I ****ing wish that eircom would go bankrupt and maybe someone then can improve the lines

I ****ing fed up of ****e ****e broadband I get off them, the peak hours are killing me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Headshot wrote: »
    I ****ing wish that eircom would go bankrupt and maybe someone then can improve the lines

I ****ing fed up of ****e ****e broadband I get off them, the peak hours are killing me

Headshot if you're BB is hampered by distance from the exchange,replacing the line wont improve it,the tech just doesnt work over long distances.As for the congestion,it can be improved but it also depends on other factors which can have knock on effects for the rest of the network and as a result Eircom might not be willing to do that.

Worked for tech support for BT in the UK and in alot of rural exchanges they wouldnt increase the bandwith as it could impact speed further down the line(basicaly if it improved BB for a few but caused problems for a majority of its customers they wouldnt improve that exchange)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bear I live right beside the exchange and my stats are right good

eircom Broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed: 3072 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 10 dB /7 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 28 dB /15 dB

The problem is the exchange and eircoms

"The speed available to the end user attached to an exchange is dictated by the backhaul capacity from the exchange into the wider eircom trunk network. Any exchange with less than 24mb backhaul can only offer 3mb and below. This is the case with Golden which has a 16meg backhaul capacity.

Therefore it would not be feasible for eircom to offer the higher speed.

The situation will of course change as eircom upgrades its network backhaul capacity which is being done on a phased basis driven by capacity demands."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Headshot wrote: »

You need to forget about Eircom. We need a new fibre network, built and owned by the Irish people that all providers can pay to deliver on, including Eircom. We need a long term plan. Our politicians don't seem to care beyond the four years they're in power. No more quick fix mobile crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Surely this will mean less revenue for Eircom. In the long term, with less revenue available, it will be more difficult to update the areas outside of the urban areas.

Perhaps 4G might come to the rescue of people in these areas. This might hit Eircom in this market.

The way Comreg have licensed and doled out the spectrum means that 4G won't be delivering anything to those outside urban areas...
    see http://irelandoffline.org/2012/06/comreg-and-70-population-coverage/
    This shows the way Comreg have described 4G/LTE coverage as 70% population coverage and shows a map outlining what 70% population coverage looks like.
    I for one don't expect 4G to deliver anything of real value especially in rural areas.

So far all we know for sure is that Sky have signed a deal with BT and the BT LLU exchanges are only in urban areas.

So nothing in the future (near or far) for non-urban dwellers, the only solution is a national fibre network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Eircom lost us as customers with they're 140.00 euro a month phone bills and middle man ratting scheme for the IRMA over "illegally downloading" one song.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

so for €35.98 you would get 165GB usage allowance , no calls included, and an 18 month contract. this has to be the cheapest DSL offer out there currently, for broadband only?

No, Smart have a much better deal, but more limited to only areas with Smart LLU:

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/more_details/Home_Broadband_Phone.aspx

- €29.95 per month
    - 24mbps
    - 350GB cap
    - 12 month contract

Advertisement