Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing colour of kitchen cabinets

• 01-08-2012 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all I am looking to change my kitchen cabinets to white I am looking for tips, suggestions etc. Don't know weather to do it myself or get someone in to do it for me??? I would appreciate any advice thanks :)) or anyone who could give me a price I'm in the Meath/Louth/Dublin area

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

hi.what colour are they now?what finish is on the cabinets,just asking because it would make it easier to determine your next step:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 butterfly3

It's a maple shaker kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

I did this myself recently.

Clean everything with sugar soap, especially grease stains around the cooker etc.

Sand everything with 100/120 grit sandpaper.

Use white undercoat and give everything a coat.

We then used Crown Solo satin finish (we used a cream colour but I'm sure they have white). This is an expensive paint but it's worth it. It'll only need one coat if you have used undercoat and it looks great once dry.

Delighted with the results, the cabinets look like new (they were a horrible orange wood colour originally).

I also changed all the old brass hinges to lovely new nickel ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 butterfly3

mickydcork wrote: »
    I did this myself recently.

Clean everything with sugar soap, especially grease stains around the cooker etc.

Sand everything with 100/120 grit sandpaper.

Use white undercoat and give everything a coat.

We then used Crown Solo satin finish (we used a cream colour but I'm sure they have white). This is an expensive paint but it's worth it. It'll only need one coat if you have used undercoat and it looks great once dry.

Delighted with the results, the cabinets look like new (they were a horrible orange wood colour originally).

I also changed all the old brass hinges to lovely new nickel ones.

Thanks for your reply is was a great help did it take you long to do your kitchen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Instead of undercoat, use BIN primer instead. it gives better adhesion to these type of kitchen surfaces.

Wouldnt do any harm to wipe them down with ESP before giving them a coat of BIN primer, than finish with 2 coats of satin or gloss!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

butterfly3 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply is was a great help did it take you long to do your kitchen?

Yes.

Definitely 2/3 days work. Also you have to wait for paint to dry.

It is worth it though. Cabinets look great and you save yourself a fortune.

Advertisement