Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs with players from different cultural backgrounds (migrants etc..)

Options
  • 01-08-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Well lads, I'm currently writing a thesis on racism in sport and how sport can be used as a means of integration, I was just wondering if any of ye know of any clubs, hurling, Gaelic football or any sport really, that have any players who aren't Irish, or if there are any kids of different backgrounds playing on their teams?! Any help is much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

seanjohnk wrote: »
    Well lads, I'm currently writing a thesis on racism in sport and how sport can be used as a means of integration, I was just wondering if any of ye know of any clubs, hurling, Gaelic football or any sport really, that have any players who aren't Irish, or if there are any kids of different backgrounds playing on their teams?! Any help is much appreciated!!

We've a couple of Derry men playing in Donegal clubs, migrating from Northern Ireland and all :p

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

We had a Lithuanian wing back, fittest man i've ever met

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭randd1

Myself, herself, my brother and my father were at a Kilkenny training session last year and parked my car in O'Loughlin Gaels car park. When we went to get back in the car afterwards, my car was boxed in for about 20 mins and while we were waiting there for the traffic to move the U16 camogie had started training. There was two black girls training with them, one of them was 12/13 but even at that age was by far and wide the best player there.

A friend of mine from Waterford has kids in school down there said there's a few young polish lads playing football and hurling.

Inevitable really when you look at the immigration into the country, and all the better for the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

There is Lee Chin the wexford footballer and there is a Diaz fella with Dublin who is of Brazilian descent I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

According to a friend of mine there are a few young Pakistani fellas playing hurling for the Ballyhaunis club in Mayo. Apparently the adeptness at Cricket helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

deccurley wrote: »
    According to a friend of mine there are a few young Pakistani fellas playing hurling for the Ballyhaunis club in Mayo. Apparently the adeptness at Cricket helps

But its very frustrating when he refuses to play when it rains :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

ColHol wrote: »
    There is Lee Chin the wexford footballer and there is a Diaz fella with Dublin who is of Brazilian descent I think

Lee Chin is actually Wexford born

• Registered Users Posts: 10 seanjohnk

ColHol wrote: »

Yeah I'm looking into getting an interview with Lee Chin now after the reports that came out there at the end of June. I'll look into this Diaz fella as well, sound!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A friend of mine is a teacher in Shannon and trains their soccer team, Shannon were going up to play Gort in hurling and the soccer team went as well to get a game against Gort, figured with all the Brazilian migrants in Gort it'd be a great game and expierence for the team. Shannon ended up winning the soccer easily cause all the Brazillian's were playing hurling and only the local lads were playing soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Do you mean people born and raised outside of Ireland? Or people born outside of Ireland but raised here? Or non-white non-Catholics? Or what exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

What about people from outside the parish?

Always looked on with suspicion.;)

Here in Kerry people from a hurling background are looked on strangely in most part of the county. There are a couple of odd places but even Kerry isn't perfect.

I'd imagine it would be similar in Kilkenny, if you turned up with a football you've have lads looking at you funny. :D

Seriously though I'd imagine that the level of involvement wouldn't be massive yet at senior level but would be pretty decent underage. There have been a few clearly non-national surnames involved in minor intercounty games in the last year or two but I'm struggling to remember what teams.

Also there are a raft of GAA clubs worldwide with both Irish-born and non-Irish players. Was talking to someone involved in a New Zealand club and the major issue was scheduling training and matches so they didnt conflict with rugby as that was the clear priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I help out with U7 in a club and last year we had around four or five non-nationals turning up fairly regularly. We are now down to just the one (eastern european) which is a pity. So it doesn't look like we'll have many coming through to senior at this rate!

Clareman wrote: »
    A friend of mine is a teacher in Shannon and trains their soccer team, Shannon were going up to play Gort in hurling and the soccer team went as well to get a game against Gort, figured with all the Brazilian migrants in Gort it'd be a great game and expierence for the team. Shannon ended up winning the soccer easily cause all the Brazillian's were playing hurling and only the local lads were playing soccer

Haha that's a good one now, I'm actually looking into going to Gort in the next week or two to do a few interviews, hopefully get to speak to a few of the kids and their parents!

Orizio wrote: »
    Do you mean people born and raised outside of Ireland? Or people born outside of Ireland but raised here? Or non-white non-Catholics? Or what exactly?

Well my thesis is on the experiences of migrants and their families in sport in Ireland, so preferably people born and raised in other countries who came here for work or for whatever reason and their kids- whether they were born here or born outside Ireland.

68Murph68 wrote: »
    There are a couple of odd places but even Kerry isn't perfect.

Ha there's more than a couple of odd places in Kerry to be fair!! It's a different world down there :pac:

I'm actually looking at the growth of GAA clubs abroad as well, apparently there's a few in France that just have French people playing for them, no Irish involved and in some places (I forget where the fella said) they do Gaelic football in the schools for P.E up to Leaving Cert level! We'll have the World Cup soon enough, although a Gaelic football World Cup might just be as boring as the last soccer one was :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

There was a guy who played minor in goal for Mayo a few years ago who might've been German? Schlingerman is the name I think, although he might've been Irish and just had German parents or something like that.
    And I think the Diaz guy from Dublin they're talking about is actually Craig Dias. He's black, but I'm pretty sure he's Irish

Well my thesis is on the experiences of migrants and their families in sport in Ireland, so preferably people born and raised in other countries who came here for work or for whatever reason and their kids- whether they were born here or born outside Ireland.

Hard to guess where lads are born really without knowing them personally, but I can probably give you a list of lads that had at the very least parents, one or two, born outside Ireland...

Francis Usanga (played hurling for Watergrasshill in Cork, and for some club in Dublin)
    Joshua Kra (Douglas, Cork)
    Duncan Tsu (Glanmire, Cork)
    Ted Furnam (Dublin, can't remember what club)
    Luke Sweetnam (Dublin, can't remember what club)
    Craig Dias (Dublin, can't remember what club)
    Christian Lomboto (Galway, can't remember what club)

Loads more no doubt, but again I don't know if these lads were born outside the country. Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Hard to guess where lads are born really without knowing them personally, but I can probably give you a list of lads that had at the very least parents, one or two, born outside Ireland...

Francis Usanga (played hurling for Watergrasshill in Cork, and for some club in Dublin)

Loads more no doubt, but again I don't know if these lads were born outside the country. Probably not.

Dias plays for Kilmacud Crokes
    Lomboto plays for Eire Óg
    Sweetman plays for Erin's Isle

Can't be sure of the others.

Furnam used to play for Ballymun iirc, think he is playing in the States now though.

Cheers for that. Much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I remember there was a black guy I think his name was Brendan O'Sullivan and I think he played for Ballymun kickhams about 20 years ago, I'm not going to say he was African as I'm fairly sure he used the full irish version of his name and he played hurling, B Ó Súileabháin (possibly)

I remember there was a fantastic picture of him with his hand up to catch a ball you could see his eyes fully focused on the ball, it was in the Press or the Herald, an evening paper (most likely the Herrald). Anyway I though it was a very iconic and progressive picture at the time and might even look well with your work if you could get your hands on it. If you were writing a book it would be a good cover.

Also about 8 years ago I was driving through Cabra in Dublin and naomh fionnbarra had arranged some sort of street parade, it was fronted by a man and two or three kids of African origin they had the Dublin colors on an were obviously chosen to lead the parade, you could check in there too.
    http://www.naomhfionnbarra.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

There was an american who was togging out for the cork senior panel at some stage a few years ago, I think..... Maybe the cork lads here might remember or know of him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭kksaints

Junior D wrote: »
    There was a guy who played minor in goal for Mayo a few years ago who might've been German? Schlingerman is the name I think, although he might've been Irish and just had German parents or something like that.
    And I think the Diaz guy from Dublin they're talking about is actually Craig Dias. He's black, but I'm pretty sure he's Irish

http://www.extratime.ie/squads/players/16/1234785/. Sub goalie for Drogheda.

kupus wrote: »
    There was an american who was togging out for the cork senior panel at some stage a few years ago, I think..... Maybe the cork lads here might remember or know of him

I've no idea who you are talking about you have inadvertently reminded me of someone who would be perfect for the OP - Artur Hankus (Naomh Aban Cork).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Danny Culloty (Newmarket) was the American who played with Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Jurgen Werner used to play with O'Donovan Rossa (Skibereen) in Cork, played with CIT in Sigerson also. Good player. Think he was German born, could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

There was a player of Scandinavian descent starting on the Galway minor team of 2010, Ezergalis (unsure of spelling - pronounced "is-er-gay-liss), he wad corner back iirc, he may have missed the AI semi through injury but he definitely played in the Connacht QF, SF & final.

THFC wrote: »
    There was a player of Scandinavian descent starting on the Galway minor team of 2010, Ezergalis (unsure of spelling - pronounced "is-er-gay-liss), he wad corner back iirc, he may have missed the AI semi through injury but he definitely played in the Connacht QF, SF & final.

Philip Ezergailis (Moycullen)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Would Sean Og not fall into this category he was born in Fiji, father from Fermanagh workin on an oil rig out there his mother a Fiji woman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Paddy 'Rusty' Ruschitzko (29 April 1917 - 4 March 2004) was an American-born Irish sportsperson. He played hurling with his local club Clonad and was a member of the Laois senior inter-county team from the 1930s until the 1950s. Ruschitzko captained Laois in their last All-Ireland final appearance in 1949

Born in New York to Irish mother and a Polsih father.

Advertisement