Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options
  • 02-08-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

With just less than 2 weeks to go until 6th year students of 2011-2012 receive their Leaving Cert. results, I think it's time a thread was set up in the NUIM forum for *hopeful* incoming 1st year students to come together and celebrate our choice of attending the best University in Ireland! :P

I just set this up as I think it's a good place for new 1st year students, particularly those who may not know anyone going to NUIM in September to talk so the first couple of weeks are easier for everyone involved! (and because those UCD guys have one too :rolleyes: :pac:)

I'll start off sure:

Name: David

Course (hopefully): Law & Business (BBL)

Interests: Athletics, Swimming, Debating, Literature, Economics and just generally having a good time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Name: Mark Shortall

Course: Science

Interests: Sports, computers, books, beer and all that good stuff

*Got my offer this morning :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Name: Niall

Course (hopefully): Science Education

Interests: Biology, Anything science related, Music, TV, and definitely having a good time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Really good idea for a thread PictureFrame :)

Hope you guys all get the courses you want! (and well done Marko93!). If you have any questions about NUIM or Maynooth in general, just ask. This forum has lots of lovely knowledgeable posters so someone will be able to help!

Seren_ wrote: »
    Really good idea for a thread PictureFrame :)

Hope you guys all get the courses you want! (and well done Marko93!). If you have any questions about NUIM or Maynooth in general, just ask. This forum has lots of lovely knowledgeable posters so someone will be able to help!

Hmm, I hope it's okay to ask here rather than start a new thread!

Would you know how many rugby teams there are?

Also, thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

marko93 wrote: »
    Hmm, I hope it's okay to ask here rather than start a new thread!

Would you know how many rugby teams there are?

Also, thanks :D
    Might be of help

http://www.nuimrugby.com/fixtures/

• Advertisement

jpcarlow wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

What usually happens in the Swimming club does anyone know who goes to NUIM? I'm into competitive swimming and just want to know how the pool fares in terms of opening hours/ length of pool etc?. Would I be better getting a membership to a larger pool in the Kildare region for someone who's into serious swimming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Yay, scientists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

What usually happens in the Swimming club does anyone know who goes to NUIM? I'm into competitive swimming and just want to know how the pool fares in terms of opening hours/ length of pool etc?. Would I be better getting a membership to a larger pool in the Kildare region for someone who's into serious swimming?

I never actually used the pool, but from what I have heard its useless. Its not open very often and it look quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Course (hopefully): Civil Law & Business (BBL)

Interests: Athletics, Swimming, Debating, Literature, Economics and just generally having a good time!

If you're studying civil law, I'd be seriously surprised! We're a common law country!

Best of luck in Maynooth, to you and all the other firsties!
    Also, if you get into law, join the Law Society, join ELSA, write for the Golden Thread, try get onto the Law Journal committee, join FLAC, get involved in Transparency Ireland Maynooth!
    And have loads of fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Ah welcome!

Hope you are all happy in 2 weeks!

I'm Kellie, going in to study a Masters in Climate Change in September, staying in Maynooth, cos the thoughts of leaving Maynooth are too much!

Welcome to all and to any who come here after this post.
    You'll have gotten into one of the best universities in Ireland (not biased at all ;) ) and will no doubt experience some fantastic times in your time here. Any nerves, queries, tribulations etc can all be solved here if you feel comfortable sharing them and feel free to PM any mods on this forum with any issues if any you experience here and we'll do our best to resolve them :)
    Most of all, enjoy Maynooth, enjoy this forum...there's plenty of craic to be had here.. particularly in our general thread "I can haz general discussion".

Also good job to PictureFrame for starting us off, our last few are buried within the pages of these forums so its nice to see the fresh blood taking the initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 surenow

Probably a few years older than most first years (I studied Social Studies before this) but here goes...

Name: Bryan

Course: Law (LLB)

Interests: Music, kayaking, beer, having a good time and the gym (the odd time).

Looking forward to September. Anyone applied for campus accommodation?

Suppose I'll ask another question :P

What's freshers week like? D:

Also, to anyone that plays rugby, what are the freshers like?

Freshers week is good fun. It's a chance to get to know people in your year beyond those in your class.

The Fresher's rugby team are usually pretty good. You'll play 3 group matches and then the knockout stages. It's good fun, and a good team to get involved with.

DB21 wrote: »
    Freshers week is good fun. It's a chance to get to know people in your year beyond those in your class.

The Fresher's rugby team are usually pretty good. You'll play 3 group matches and then the knockout stages. It's good fun, and a good team to get involved with.

Great!
    What about the more senior teams? What's it like trying to gain a spot there?

Great!
    What about the more senior teams? What's it like trying to gain a spot there?

Well, the seniors is a mix of 2nd year and onward players, so if you're going to break into the team, you have to just be better. I know it's clichéd, but if you show the manager and coaches something special, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Suppose I'll ask another question :P

What's freshers week like? D:

Also, to anyone that plays rugby, what are the freshers like?
    Freshers week is great, the fresher packs are good too. theres loads of stuff to entertain you going on during the week and its a great way to enter into 3rd level education and the pubs usually have offers on.

Best advice i can give, to anyone who gets campus, for this week is to do what my friends and I did in first year and knock on all your neighbours doors when you move in and introduce yourself and ask them if they would like to join in as you go around the apartments introducing yourselves. Works great

And i'm sure we'll get around to organising a Boardsie Beers soon after semester starts

Quick question:

I've seen the orientation guide for September and I notice that Science/Science Ed students are required to go in Wednesday,Thursday & Friday. Is it mandatory to attend all three of these days or is it optional? I'm going to be commuting and I'm not sure if buses will be even running those days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I have many courses on the CAO for Maynooth. Hopefully I get at least one of them! Would really love to go there as I've been there many times. I've put Biotechnology, Science, pharmaceutical and biomedical chemistry, Anthropology and physics with astrophysics (except I really hope I don't get that last one. Might be a bit over my head!) See you all there if we get in :D Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I hope to study Arts in Maynooth this year. I'm hopefully going to study Geography, Economics and Business.

Is the geography society in NUIM good? What do they do? When do they accept first years? :)

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Quick question:

I've seen the orientation guide for September and I notice that Science/Science Ed students are required to go in Wednesday,Thursday & Friday. Is it mandatory to attend all three of these days or is it optional? I'm going to be commuting and I'm not sure if buses will be even running those days?

Attendence isn't mandatory afaik, but it is recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Quick question:

Definitely try go or you'll miss out on a lot of information. I'm returning to 1st science after leaving halfway through the year due to personal problems and I'll definitely still be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EIMxxxEAR

Name: Eimear

Course (hopefully): Science Education

Interests: Biology, music, tv etc

Geo10 wrote: »
    I hope to study Arts in Maynooth this year. I'm hopefully going to study Geography, Economics and Business.

Is the geography society in NUIM good? What do they do? When do they accept first years? :)

The geography society has collapsed unfortunately but will hopefully be set up again in sep. every society accepts first years. In the second week of lectures there's a clubs and socs day where every society has a stand and it's the best way to join new societies!

Quick question:

I would really recommend you go! You will take in so much information, meet and make new friends and generally just start your college life on a fun foot! Plus you will meet the lovely tour guides (that's me!!)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

You'll have to attend at least one of the days during the orientation week for definite as that's when you will register. The other days aren't as important, but the subject talks/campus tours are really useful. It's also a great way to get to know people in your class. I imagine the buses should be running that week anyway? Best thing to do is to ring the company and ask.

Are any of you coming through the HEAR/DARE programmes? I was a leader for 2 years on the Launchpad orientation week so if there's anything you want to know about it or the access/disability office generally ask away :)

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'll see what I can do to attend those days. It would be a good time to get to know people too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

surenow wrote: »
    Probably a few years older than most first years (I studied Social Studies before this) but here goes...

Name: Bryan

Course: Law (LLB)

Looking forward to September. Anyone applied for campus accommodation?

Hi Bryan! Near Mullingar myself here, good to see other people going for Law! I've applied for River, hope I get it!
    jpcarlow wrote: »

Best advice i can give, to anyone who gets campus, for this week is to do what my friends and I did in first year and knock on all your neighbours doors when you move in and introduce yourself and ask them if they would like to join in as you go around the apartments introducing yourselves. Works great

And i'm sure we'll get around to organising a Boardsie Beers soon after semester starts

I'm in the first 2 days of Orientation, chances are there won't be many people in my apartment in those days, so i'll definitely do this jpcarlow! Good way to meet new people!
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'll see what I can do to attend those days. It would be a good time to get to know people too!

At least I know you Niall! :P One person anyway! :D

• Advertisement

Hi Bryan! Near Mullingar myself here, good to see other people going for Law! I've applied for River, hope I get it!

I'm in the first 2 days of Orientation, chances are there won't be many people in my apartment in those days, so i'll definitely do this jpcarlow! Good way to meet new people!
    Ah a river candidate, like myself :P. Ah you'll be surprised how many people will turn up the first day just to get movin over and done with and to have a laugh. But good to see you're gonna do that idea. It works a wonder

Advertisement