Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RachEnnis

I'm doing English too! No idea what the reading list is like but I've been told it's pretty massive! There's a few recommendations on the English website for NUIM to get you started though :)http://english.nuim.ie/prospective-students

Yay! At least I'm not alone! Looking forward to it?
    Awesome, thanks for that! I work in Easons, so I can pick them up tomorrow and get a head start!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

RachEnnis wrote: »
    Yay! At least I'm not alone! Looking forward to it?
    Awesome, thanks for that! I work in Easons, so I can pick them up tomorrow and get a head start!

Yeah can't wait to start! Haha I downloaded them all on my iPad the other day but haven't had the strength to start reading them yet, summer has made me so lazy! Haha see you in the English lectures then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

FinnD wrote: »
    Anyone know how strict the pubs around maynooth are for us 17 year olds?

The more popular ones are fairly strict.

Yeah can't wait to start! Haha I downloaded them all on my iPad the other day but haven't had the strength to start reading them yet, summer has made me so lazy! Haha see you in the English lectures then :P

Yeah, that is going to be the struggle alright. Already dreading the first essay! I can't wait to get started either! See you there! We'll have such fun :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Shinato wrote: »
    Another Star Wars fan... there is :P
    You all are gonna fit in great here :D
    Yeah can't wait to start! Haha I downloaded them all on my iPad the other day but haven't had the strength to start reading them yet, summer has made me so lazy! Haha see you in the English lectures then tongue.gif
    I'm just gonna say to ANY OF YOU doing english... you're gonna love it... best times i've had in a class

• Advertisement

jpcarlow wrote: »
    You all are gonna fit in great here :D

I'm just gonna say to ANY OF YOU doing english... you're gonna love it... best times i've had in a class
    Awesome! I've been told the lecturers are absolutely lovely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Awesome! I've been told the lecturers are absolutely lovely :)
    They are though we shant mention any by name...but it's a fantastic course

jpcarlow wrote: »

Looking forward to this even more now! Very reassuring to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

RachEnnis wrote: »

Course: Arts - Geography, English and possibly Irish? Anyone else doing any of these? xD Anyone know what the reading list is like for English, and what Irish is gonna be like? Bit scared of it!

Irish is great, lots of grammar at the start and it moves pretty fast, but it's really interesting and the lecturers are lovely! There're also lectures on prose and poetry which are good too.

PM me if you've any questions-happy to answer anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

English is amazing, and all the lecturers are indeed lovely and so helpful! Hope all of you enjoy studying it, would love to be starting it all over again :) My other subject was sociology, which is also great! Some brilliant modules available in second and third year. First year is good too, but slightly more boring :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Seren_ wrote: »
    English is amazing, and all the lecturers are indeed lovely and so helpful! Hope all of you enjoy studying it, would love to be starting it all over again :) My other subject was sociology, which is also great! Some brilliant modules available in second and third year. First year is good too, but slightly more boring :pac:

I think I'm doing sociology with anthropology (and something...) :D I can't wait...met a girl that works at boots the other day and she did sociology in Maynooth & told me it was great - got me all excited :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This gets awkward when you start getting texts from people saying they know who you are but you dont notice them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cat15

Decided I wanted to join in..
    Name: Catríona, 18
    From: Dublin and will be commuting, any spare couches people?
    Course:Biotech :)
    also come make friends with me on orientation I'm the only one from my school going Maynooth, I have to come straight from my debs so I'll be the hungover or still drunk one in the fancy dress, won't be hard to miss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tazmcn

Seren_ wrote: »
    tazmcn wrote: »
    Name: Tara
    Course: Community and Youth Work
    Interests: anything that involves
    :)
    I lived in that apartment for 2 years!!! You're in my friend Jessie's old room :pac: I wonder are our fridge magnets still on the fridge? It has great stalking windows - you get a great view of everything haha :p

Wooh, thats so weirdly cool. Stalking/ people watching windows suit me perfectly ha. What floor is it on? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ParisOutrage_

Cat15 wrote: »
    Decided I wanted to join in..
    Name: Catríona, 18
    From: Dublin and will be commuting, any spare couches people?
    Course:Biotech :)
    also come make friends with me on orientation I'm the only one from my school going Maynooth, I have to come straight from my debs so I'll be the hungover or still drunk one in the fancy dress, won't be hard to miss!!

I'll be there with you!

I'll be there with you!

So I won't be the only one embarrassing myself either falling over or getting sick everywhere?? hah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

I'll be there with you!

So I won't be the only one embarrassing myself either falling over or getting sick everywhere?? hah
    Of course not. In fact you may be mistaken as a veteran of the University!

tazmcn wrote: »
    Wooh, thats so weirdly cool. Stalking/ people watching windows suit me perfectly ha. What floor is it on? :-)
    It's on the first floor (:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ParisOutrage_

Nope! :P I don't know how I'm gonna get through the day if I'm honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Oooh I'm so glad both debs I'm going to is the week before orientation. I'd be in bits. Glad I didn't go to UCD because my orientation would be the day after the first one :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Lausie93

Name: Laura
    Course: Arts (hope to do psychology in second year!)

Im commuting because i have no money!:cool:

Does anybody know which arts subjects are good to take up for just a year??

Haha going straight from my debs too! Looks like there'll be a few of us going in hungover and tangoed!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭loser2k12

Haha going straight from my debs too! Looks like there'll be a few of us going in hungover and tangoed!

Me also! D: don't judge me people.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fionnghuala

Shinato wrote: »
    Nah don't get rid of your uniform. What me and my mates intend to do is on Halloween, to wear our uniforms St. Trinian style :) They're up for it too because they're all off to Limerick and Galway. I may be on my lonesome but making new friends is all part of the college experience :)

That's a brilliant idea but my uniform was navy blue and grey so there's no way I'll be pulling off a St. Trinians costume...
    Boeing777 wrote: »

That's great :) I was beginning to wonder if my postman was keeping my welcome pack for himself...
    Geo10 wrote: »
    There seems to be a good few doing business here! :D
    I know it's far away but is any other business student slightly worried about the accounting module in 2nd year? I'm afraid there's gonna be loads of LC Accounting students who'll fly through it whilst I struggle to remember the bits of bookkeeping I studied for the Junior Cert! :eek: (I always did the theory questions back then!)
    PowKitty wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to accountancy either, absolutely detest it in JC. But i'm sure we won't be the only ones :rolleyes:

I didn't do Business Studies for the Junior Cert and I didn't do accounting for the leaving cert so I'm very very worried. It's called Financial Accounting for Non-Accountants so I'll be sure to stress the importance of the NON-ACCOUNTANTS when the time comes...

marko93 wrote: »
    Of course not. In fact you may be mistaken as a veteran of the University!

Looks like I'm gonna fit in well so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I was talking to a guy studying Law & Business in his final year at the Open day, he told me the Accounting was no issue- he was brutal at Maths and had never done Accounting before and said it was a breeze to pass! They show you exactly how to get stuff and how to do the accounts exactly right! Be grand guys, don't be worrying! :D..

Now if you haven't done Economics before, It's Micro economics you ought to be worried about! Demand, Equilibrium, Market Structures, Elasticity <3.. It's a beaut but tough to master!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PowKitty

I was talking to a guy studying Law & Business in his final year at the Open day, he told me the Accounting was no issue- he was brutal at Maths and had never done Accounting before and said it was a breeze to pass! They show you exactly how to get stuff and how to do the accounts exactly right! Be grand guys, don't be worrying! ..

Yes! I'm reassured!
    Now if you haven't done Economics before, It's Micro economics you ought to be worried about! Demand, Equilibrium, Market Structures, Elasticity <3.. It's a beaut but tough to master!

.. reassurance gone

Business.. why you include accountancy and economics? :P

Lausie93 wrote: »
    Name: Laura
    Course: Arts (hope to do psychology in second year!)

Im commuting because i have no money!:cool:

Does anybody know which arts subjects are good to take up for just a year??

I never studied it, but back in my day (:pac:) a lot of people picked anthropology as one of their subjects as it's meant to be pretty handy to pass in first year (it gets more difficult after this), as well as being interesting. If you did geography for your LC, it's pretty similar to the first year course (goes in to a bit more detail obviously) to ensure that people who haven't studied it before can do it. I did it for first year and liked it a lot. Subjects like English, sociology and history have a lot of reading to do, but they're all really interesting. Mightn't be the best idea to pick two of those if you want to focus mainly on psychology though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭upinthesky

just got my letter this morning that i got into the foundation science coarse so hopefully this time next year i will be going into first year science!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shinato

I'm doing English too! No idea what the reading list is like but I've been told it's pretty massive! There's a few recommendations on the English website for NUIM to get you started though :)http://english.nuim.ie/prospective-students

Is this actually part of the reading list or 'recommendations'? If it's part of the list I'll start today :D But I'll be sickened if I go to a lecture and get entirely different texts to read :P

Advertisement