Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Geo10 wrote: »
    OMG I think I have Fridays off! I've no lectures on a Friday (I'm doing Geography, Business & Economics)! Unless I have a tutorial on Friday... I'm not going to get my hopes up yet

They often give first arts people Fridays off...its to make up for the years of working in McDonalds later in life...:p

And if you're lucky you might even get it in 2nd year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Does anyone doing General Science know if we get to try out all the subjects before we chose what ones we will be studying? :)

Yup, you're free to go to any lectures, and you can change your modules with the registration office within the first 3 weeks I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shinato

DB21 wrote: »
    What's your course?

English, History and anthropology

Shinato wrote: »
    English, History and anthropology

What exactly is missing? It could just be tutorials.

I've only about 6 modules out of about 12

• Advertisement

oh no, I fixed it now. I didn't realise that subjects changed over the semester. Thanks for helping me though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Jason1994 wrote: »
    ok cool whereabouts?:) i know where it is thats about all :p

I don't know how to spell it, Iralico? The car parts manufacturing place? Is that even in Castlepollard though? :L

Sound. And I've become a creep myself... I think I know your name... :cool:

Dave Kelly! :D.. #creepers for life
    Geo10 wrote: »
    OMG I think I have Fridays off! I've no lectures on a Friday (I'm doing Geography, Business & Economics)! Unless I have a tutorial on Friday... I'm not going to get my hopes up yet

Nooooooo, lucky! I've only the 1 lecture (Tort Law at 10am) on the Friday so I suppose I can't complain, would've loved it off though!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fionnghuala

Dave Kelly! :D.. #creepers for life

It's a Longford thing...

It's a Longford thing...
    It must be. There's just nothing to do around here and it's entertaining! :D.. Many from Moyne heading to NUIM?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

So all the Science kids know what subjects they're picking?

Excluding labs/tutorials my timetable for Computer Science, Chemistry, Bio and Maths looks fairly handy.

• Advertisement

It must be. There's just nothing to do around here and it's entertaining! :D.. Many from Moyne heading to NUIM?

Most of my good friends are heading to Maynooth. All but one got campus but I think they've found somewhere. How about Ballymahon?

Most of my good friends are heading to Maynooth. All but one got campus but I think they've found somewhere. How about Ballymahon?
    Not many now! One girl I know pretty well is going to do Law & Accounting! Most head up to NUIG from here! #forever alone

Not many now! One girl I know pretty well is going to do Law & Accounting! Most head up to NUIG from here! #forever alone

Awh, that's a shame! At least you have someone for law though. There's plenty going to Dublin and Sligo. I'm not sure about Galway though... I've only heard of one person from my year going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

This is what my timetable looks like without labs/tutorials.

2v2twg7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭loser2k12

I may sound like a huge noob here but how long is each lecture? :/ I'm imagining myself having to rollerblade across campus in order to catch the start of each lecture :P

loser2k12 wrote: »
    I may sound like a huge noob here but how long is each lecture? :/ I'm imagining myself having to rollerblade across campus in order to catch the start of each lecture :P

45 minutes to an hour usually. The lecturer will usually leave time for you to get to your next lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 claire147

Any other first years planning on not going home every weekend? Let me know... seems like everyone is hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jenny101

claire147 wrote: »
    Any other first years planning on not going home every weekend? Let me know... seems like everyone is hehehe

Going home once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

I'm going to the first year of pharmaceutical and biomedical chemistry :) yay
    Does anyone know how many of us will be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm going to the first year of pharmaceutical and biomedical chemistry :) yay
    Does anyone know how many of us will be there?

Check for your course on qualifax, it should say the number of places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

GarIT wrote: »
    Check for your course on qualifax, it should say the number of places.

I checked it already, it doesn't say... Thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NiDhiarmada

Maynooth arts or repeat the leaving?!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Depends what you want to study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Well, the majority of people here are in NUI, Maynooth and most of them would have chosen it as their first choice. So I doubt anyone is going to suggest you repeat so you can go to another University just because you perceve it to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aine4444

claire147 wrote: »

Phew! I'm not the only one :L I might head home every second weekend maybe less. Travelling is too expensive. Hopefully there'll be a few still around campus. I imagine it'd be like a ghost town at the weekend though :/

Aine4444 wrote: »
    Phew! I'm not the only one :L I might head home every second weekend maybe less. Travelling is too expensive. Hopefully there'll be a few still around campus. I imagine it'd be like a ghost town at the weekend though :/

Mantra is still fairly busy on Saturday nights, I don't know about the actual college though, only starting this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Mantra is still fairly busy on Saturday nights, I don't know about the actual college though, only starting this year.

Ah there is always a few about! People from far away, or with lots of course work to do. It gets quiet, but the town remains busy enough.
    Nothing compared to summer months.. *tumbleweed*

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aine4444

Aw not too bad so. I hear mantra is a good spot :L I'm hoping to pick up a job for weekends down in maynooth. Seems unlikely though :(

Ah there is always a few about! People from far away, or with lots of course work to do. It gets quiet, but the town remains busy enough.
    Nothing compared to summer months.. *tumbleweed*

Nope, there was a decent buzz in Mantra last week :p

Bit of advice for the all incoming 1st years, Burger and pint €10 deal in mantra is class.

10oz burger, chips and whatever pint you want for €10.

Mantra is dead during the day though, the only other person there was some old guy trying to chat up the barwoman who is a student.
    Aine4444 wrote: »
    Aw not too bad so. I hear mantra is a good spot :L I'm hoping to pick up a job for weekends down in maynooth. Seems unlikely though :(

It probably is unlikely not many places hiring and hundreds of students looking for jobs, even tesco the biggest shop in Maynooth has been told not to hire anyone. (Except me :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is there anything important happening before September 14th? I'll be working in England from the 31st of August for two weeks, and I'm a HEAR student.

Advertisement