Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Is there anything important happening before September 14th? I'll be working in England from the 31st of August for two weeks, and I'm a HEAR student.

Well, orientation is on the 10th till the 14th. You'll have to attend 2/3 of those days depending on your course to register. I'm sure it's the same days for HEAR students?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Is there anything important happening before September 14th? I'll be working in England from the 31st of August for two weeks, and I'm a HEAR student.

Yeah HEAR students have launchpad from the 26th to the 29th of August. If you want to get in on reduced points you have to be there, if you got more points than you need its optional I think.

Check here for the days you need to be in for registration http://studentservices.nuim.ie/sites/studentservices.nuim.ie/files/documents/Orientation%20Guide.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Well, orientation is on the 10th till the 14th. You'll have to attend 2/3 of those days depending on your course to register.

Crap. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Only one of the orientation days is really important, the day you're down to register. Ring or send an email to the student records office when you know what day you're meant to register (it'll be in your welcome pack) and let them know you can't go. They'll let you know when you can register then (it'll probably be the first week of lectures).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Jenny101

So has everyone got a letter in the post about orientation, registration etc... ? I haven't got anything yet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Jenny101 wrote: »
    So has everyone got a letter in the post about orientation, registration etc... ? I haven't got anything yet..
    Nope! :) Next week they're expected to arrive!

Jenny101 wrote: »

The college didn't know their full list of students until 5.15 on Friday, they either posted the information packs Friday night or will first thing on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

GarIT wrote: »
    Bit of advice for the all incoming 1st years, Burger and pint €10 deal in mantra is class.

10oz burger, chips and whatever pint you want for €10.

Mantra is dead during the day though, the only other person there was some old guy trying to chat up the barwoman who is a student.

Wow that's really a good deal! Gonna be there a LOT if that's the case!

Boardsies burgers? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

Yeah HEAR students have launchpad from the 26th to the 29th of August. If you want to get in on reduced points you have to be there, if you got more points than you need its optional I think.

Check here for the days you need to be in for registration http://studentservices.nuim.ie/sites/studentservices.nuim.ie/files/documents/Orientation%20Guide.pdf

I assume if you're a HEAR student and you go to the launchpad, you don;t have to go to the other orientation?

You'll have to go to one day at least for registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Bassadd

I am dying to see my timetable, why must the site be broken!? :(

karl_m wrote: »
    I assume if you're a HEAR student and you go to the launchpad, you don;t have to go to the other orientation?

No, HEAR students that got in on lower points have to go to both. HEAR students that got more points than they need have to go to the normal orentation and can go to Launchpad if they want and have a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shinato

claire147 wrote: »
    Any other first years planning on not going home every weekend? Let me know... seems like everyone is hehehe

Nah, I'll go home for my birthday on week two and then probably stay until christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

Bit of advice for the all incoming 1st years, Burger and pint €10 deal in mantra is class.

I was certain reading the beginning that you were giving advice on how to wine and dine a date on the cheap "wahey, burger and a pint a cider, ten quid, cheap date! wha wha!?" haha

dr.quirky wrote: »
    I was certain reading the beginning that you were giving advice on how to wine and dine a date on the cheap "wahey, burger and a pint a cider, ten quid, cheap date! wha wha!?" haha

It could work, just keep telling her how nice the burgers are so she will go for one :P

AFAIK an 8oz burger and chips is €12 accross the road without the pint.

And pints in mantra are €5.50 so its a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Another quick question, what's the social GAA team like? Used to play but switched to rugby, but I'd love to get back into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KaylaK369

Is anyone going to the HEAR Launchpad tomorrow? :)

KaylaK369 wrote: »

Yeah :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

You'll see me there. :cool:

• Advertisement

Hope you all have a good time at Launchpad! It's such a great way to get to know people and find your way around campus. Make sure and be nice to your leaders!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KaylaK369

Yaaaaaay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ParisOutrage_

This may be a stupid question, but are skateboards allowed on campus? thats how i plan on getting around :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

This may be a stupid question, but are skateboards allowed on campus? thats how i plan on getting around :L

Yup, but I believe the same restrictions apply as with bikes.

I've seen a few people go around on skateboards, so I think it's okay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lausie93

Im going too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

What is launchpad?

FinnD wrote: »
    What is launchpad?

Launchpad are for students who got accepted into Maynooth with HEAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jason1994

I don't know how to spell it, Iralico? The car parts manufacturing place? Is that even in Castlepollard though? :L
    Yeah it is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

There are NO stupid questons! :)

Yes, but the letter of the law seems blurred when you venture onto the South(old campus, I actually typed out "across the bridge"... fail! where the new library is and beyond into gorgeous old buildings :D )

Skateboards may not be legislated by the college charter but Unicycles are not mentioned specifically either and I have had more than my fair share of run ins with security. bicycles are strictly forbidden on most of south campus (i may be wrong and it may state "cycling" ) ,don't get me wrong about security, they're lovely guys but they have a job to do and believe me you don't want to have to take you issue up with BRENDAN! Ashe. I'd ask someone in YOUR union(tootyflooty?? Or Banquo may know?) specifically about skateboards If your planning on being on south campus, but north campus I believe you are golden once you're not crashing into people, or inside a building.

Advertisement