Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 argon4

So what does written examination mean? at the end of term... is it like one giant essay or multiple choice questions ?

oh yeah and ..how many credits do you have to take each semester if you're a double hons art student ? is it 15 in each subject ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

dr.quirky wrote: »
    There are NO stupid questons! :)

Yes, but the letter of the law seems blurred when you venture onto the South(old campus, I actually typed out "across the bridge"... fail! where the new library is and beyond into gorgeous old buildings :D )

Skateboards may not be legislated by the college charter but Unicycles are not mentioned specifically either and I have had more than my fair share of run ins with security. bicycles are strictly forbidden on most of south campus (i may be wrong and it may state "cycling" ) ,don't get me wrong about security, they're lovely guys but they have a job to do and believe me you don't want to have to take you issue up with BRENDAN! Ashe. I'd ask someone in YOUR union(tootyflooty?? Or Banquo may know?) specifically about skateboards If your planning on being on south campus, but north campus I believe you are golden once you're not crashing into people, or inside a building.
    hmmm but what about segways? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7 IMartinsson

Still no letter from NUIM :(

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Still no letter from NUIM :(

I remember when I was an incoming and thinking the letter would never come, but don't worry. After the first round of offers has closed and the offices have had a chance to get all the lists of incoming students in order, you will receive your packs, don't worry! :)

I remember when I was an incoming and thinking the letter would never come, but don't worry. After the first round of offers has closed and the offices have had a chance to get all the lists of incoming students in order, you will receive your packs, don't worry! :)
    and then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

argon4 wrote: »
    So what does written examination mean? at the end of term... is it like one giant essay or multiple choice questions ?

oh yeah and ..how many credits do you have to take each semester if you're a double hons art student ? is it 15 in each subject ?

Yeah, you take the written exams for the modules you've done in the first semester in January and the written exams for the modules you've done in the second semester are in May. Although some modules may be based entirely on Continuous Assessment in which case there is no terminal university scheduled exam.

These exams can be in the form of an essay, essays, multi choice questions, short and long questions... it all depends on what subject/ module it is. or example, an English or anthropology exam may just have 1 or 2 essays but an economics or business exam can have MCQs, short questions and/ or long questions.

You take 60 credits in a year so 30 per semester. In first year arts you take 3 subjects so that's 20 credits in each (so 10 credits per subject per semester). Generally, each module is worth 5 credits so you take 12 modules in total (4 per subject in a year i.e. 2 per subject in a semester).
    However, there are a few subjects like maths and German that don't split their 20 credits into four 5 credit modules, instead splitting their 20 credits into two 7.5 credit modules and two 2.5 credit modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dougiex06

Hay

Name: Adam
    Course: Science
    Modules: Maths Biology Experimental Physics and Computer Science

I'm from Wicklow and plan on driving every day (terrible idea I know) but I said I'd try it for the 1st semester at least. I got my pack in the door a couple of weeks ago because I got my offer in round 0 being a "mature" student and all that. Also got my online payment form in the post today and was happy enough to find out that you only have to pay half the registration now and then the other half before 31st of January.

Anyway, really looking forward to starting, been waiting for this a couple of years now so can't wait to get started. All you youths better take it easy on me.

See you in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

dougiex06 wrote: »
    Hay

Name: Adam
    Course: Science
    Modules: Maths Biology Experimental Physics and Computer Science.

Woooo! More Science people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 argon4

Geo10 wrote: »
    Yeah, you take the written exams for the modules you've done in the first semester in January and the written exams for the modules you've done in the second semester are in May. Although some modules may be based entirely on Continuous Assessment in which case there is no terminal university scheduled exam.

These exams can be in the form of an essay, essays, multi choice questions, short and long questions... it all depends on what subject/ module it is. or example, an English or anthropology exam may just have 1 or 2 essays but an economics or business exam can have MCQs, short questions and/ or long questions.

You take 60 credits in a year so 30 per semester. In first year arts you take 3 subjects so that's 20 credits in each (so 10 credits per subject per semester). Generally, each module is worth 5 credits so you take 12 modules in total (4 per subject in a year i.e. 2 per subject in a semester).
    However, there are a few subjects like maths and German that don't split their 20 credits into four 5 credit modules, instead splitting their 20 credits into two 7.5 credit modules and two 2.5 credit modules.

ah thanks for the reply and help!, i'm actually a 2 year transfer "internationally" I suppose .. but I plan on making it permanent :)
    I'm assuming it would still be the same amount of credits of 30 total per semester?

Letter arrived telling me to PAY DEM BILLZ. Pretty excited, says to do it in two lots but my parents feel better doing it all together.. Does anyone know if this is allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

marko93 wrote: »
    Letter arrived telling me to PAY DEM BILLZ. Pretty excited, says to do it in two lots but my parents feel better doing it all together.. Does anyone know if this is allowed?

Which bills? The student contribution charge? Does it say when the final day to pay these bills are?

Which bills? The student contribution charge? Does it say when the final day to pay these bills are?
    They're most likely talking about rent

jpcarlow wrote: »
    They're most likely talking about rent

Student contribution fee.

Says to Pay 1,222Euro now and 1,125Euro before the end of January.

Can I just pay it all in one go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm sure you can, they'll hardly refuse it anyway :p ring the fees & grants office just to make sure if you want, but I doubt there would be a problem.

@PictureFrame - you won't get your student card until you pay the first half of the reg fee, but I don't think there's an actual date to pay it by. I think I remember a post by banquo (former SU pres so knows his stuff) saying that the last date to pay the reg fee in full is actually June 30,

Seren_ wrote: »
    I'm sure you can, they'll hardly refuse it anyway :p ring the fees & grants office just to make sure if you want, but I doubt there would be a problem.

Ah that's grand then :3

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lumie

Hey,

Starting Law and Arts this year, and looking for advice on a third subject. I definitely want to do business, history was my next pic but it clashes timetable wise.
    Is there any chance the timetable will be changed, you think? Anyone else having issues deciding what modules to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fionnghuala

Lumie wrote: »
    Hey,

Starting Law and Arts this year, and looking for advice on a third subject. I definitely want to do business, history was my next pic but it clashes timetable wise.
    Is there any chance the timetable will be changed, you think? Anyone else having issues deciding what modules to take?

I want to do law, business and history or law, business and politics. I didn't know that there were any timetable issues though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 minhols

Hey guys! I'm holly, I posted earlier :) I'm doing arts..

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea of how many hours we will be doing per week? Or any idea of our timetable? I have a job and I really don't want to leave it..because i'll be going from maynooth right over to Dundrum and need to have some idea of what hours I can work!

Thanks..

Ps. See you all soon!

minhols wrote: »

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea of how many hours we will be doing per week? Or any idea of our timetable? I have a job and I really don't want to leave it..because i'll be going from maynooth right over to Dundrum and need to have some idea of what hours I can work!

Thanks..

Ps. See you all soon!

https://www.nuim.ie/timetable/?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Fogman

Anyone have a rough estimate on what kind of money you could live off a week? covering the likes of food,smokes and a few jars? sound

• Advertisement

Fogman wrote: »
    Anyone have a rough estimate on what kind of money you could live off a week? covering the likes of food,smokes and a few jars? sound
    Jp said he could do a full shop for under a tenner in aldi/lidl. So just don't gorge on banquet meals and you'll be fine. Smokes depends on your brand and if you would switch to rollies! As for the beers. There is cheap beer to be had in most places and a large tescos extra up the road which often has some good deals.

Jp said he could do a full shop for under a tenner in aldi/lidl. So just don't gorge on banquet meals and you'll be fine. Smokes depends on your brand and if you would switch to rollies! As for the beers. There is cheap beer to be had in most places and a large tescos extra up the road which often has some good deals.

A tenner? really?..Oh no worries! I have no intentions of eating anything too classy,I live off eggs and noodles as it is.I'm an Amber Leaf man so I should be safe!60 quid or that get you by?

A tenner? really?..Oh no worries! I have no intentions of eating anything too classy,I live off eggs and noodles as it is.I'm an Amber Leaf man so I should be safe!60 quid or that get you by?

If you aren't buying smokes every other day and not drinking all the time I imagine so! I don't actually know for sure because I've never done it! Surely in the morning someone who has the experience can fill you in even more :)

If you aren't buying smokes every other day and not drinking all the time I imagine so! I don't actually know for sure because I've never done it! Surely in the morning someone who has the experience can fill you in even more :)

Cheers man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

A tenner is crazy imo. I've no idea what you'd even be able to buy for that.

Maybe you are content with buying a few packets of noodles and that for the week but I would never have been able to survive on that. I'd spend at least €20 on food.

Don't smoke so can't really comment on that. Used to have the odd one here or there. A great way to light up is by using the toaster. It's a skill in itself though and shouldn't be undertaken with drink in you.

If you drink Bulmers or Smithwicks or those designer drinks then prepare to drop down to the cheaper brands. I drank Bulmers only for all of first year. I nearly had to take out a mortgage to pay for them each week.

Rosie's Dew can be bought in Dunnes or in the Mill Off Licence. A can is €1 and it's 6%. Lethal stiff when you have 6 or 7 of them.

Don't bother buying drinks out. You'll run out of money very quickly that way. The odd time Mantra have deals on Jaegerbombs and you have to avail of them but for the most part they are a complete rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

minhols wrote: »

Thanks..

Ps. See you all soon!

You'll have about 12 hours a week in first year. That's split 4/4/4 between your three subjects. Some weeks you might only have 10 hours, depending on tutorials and that.

Just look out for what time your lectures are on at. You could find yourself with a lecture at 9 and then none until 2/3 the same day. It's perfect for people living on campus or in Maynooth but I'd imagine it's a nightmare for commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ashleigh1994

Does anybody know how long roughly it would take to walk from the John Hume Building(North Campus) to Callan Hall(South Campus)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gilesy415

Im also going into first year, still looking for accommodation :mad: ......... any advice??
    anyone know any spare rooms around? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Just look out for what time your lectures are on at. You could find yourself with a lecture at 9 and then none until 2/3 the same day. It's perfect for people living on campus or in Maynooth but I'd imagine it's a nightmare for commuters.
    Welcome to my world. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 jake wheatley curran

Hey gilsey , I'm i the same boat as you , I'm join into first year NUIM to study music and i cannot find anywhere or anyone to share with ! if you'd be interested in looking for a place together I'm sure it'd be far easier to find a place for 2 or 3 people as opposed to looking for a single room , get back to me :) jake ,
    <snip>

Advertisement