Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Alright, here goes nothing:

Name: Ciaran

Course (hopefully): Computer Science and Software Engineering

Interests: history, anime, sci-fi, motorsports, cars, video games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Alright, here goes nothing:

Name: Ciaran

Course (hopefully): Computer Science and Software Engineering

Interests: history, anime, sci-fi, motorsports, cars, video games

See you there my good man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'll see what I can do to attend those days. It would be a good time to get to know people too!

It might be a bit boring, but it's the best time to meet new people. I met loads of people in my first few days that I still talk to!! (Hi JP! :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

kellief wrote: »
    It might be a bit boring, but it's the best time to meet new people. I met loads of people in my first few days that I still talk to!! (Hi JP! :D )
    Howdies Kelly :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

jpcarlow wrote: »
    Howdies Kelly :P

Now JP....you should know how to spell my name at this stage!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

What usually happens in the Swimming club does anyone know who goes to NUIM? I'm into competitive swimming and just want to know how the pool fares in terms of opening hours/ length of pool etc?. Would I be better getting a membership to a larger pool in the Kildare region for someone who's into serious swimming?

Pools tiny and not the best tbh. As far as I know it's open a fair bit but not always for students if your into serious swimming i'd say you'd be better off joining the gym in the glenroyal http://glenroyalhotelkildare.com/leisure_club.php which is only a short walk from campus

Theres also other places around too in lexlip etc.

Theres also a swimming club on campus and you can apply for a scholarship and as far as I know training for that is in the national aquatic centre but you should really contact this guy for info on swimming :

Martin McGann
    Swim Development Officer
    Logic House Annex, South Campus, NUIM
    Telephone: +353 1 708 6944(office)
    Mobile: +353 87 245 1336
    E-mail: martin.mcgann@nuim.ie

OR paul davis the sports officer whose details can be found here : http://sports.nuim.ie/personnel.shtml

Now JP....you should know how to spell my name at this stage!!
    and you should know that JP isnt my name, just shorthand for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 surenow

Hi Bryan! Near Mullingar myself here, good to see other people going for Law! I've applied for River, hope I get it!

I'm in the first 2 days of Orientation, chances are there won't be many people in my apartment in those days, so i'll definitely do this jpcarlow! Good way to meet new people!

Applied for River too hopefully get it, might join you in knocking on doors!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Fresh meat! Beers?

banquo wrote: »
    Fresh meat! Beers?

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

We defo have to have beers, I need to meet all the new freshers!! Although if we're having it in the SU, half of us will have to be signed in probably :p

Seren_ wrote: »
    We defo have to have beers, I need to meet all the new freshers!! Although if we're having it in the SU, half of us will have to be signed in probably :p

Not if you know the doorman ;) and unless its a fairly busy night he's usually not even on the door. Though I am talking about in general and freshers week probably doesn't fit into that so never-mind....:P

marko93 wrote: »
    You're gonna fit in well around here ;)

surenow wrote: »
    Applied for River too

If you happen to be in Avocca 1 I have a fun fact for you about that apartment , I once got stuck in the window for a solid 20 mins while trying to get in to let my friend in who had forgotten their key!! One of the most painful experiences ever I must say.

Note to incoming freshers , if you do have to resort to this drastic action make sure there is actually somewhere for you to land before you get into window . Instead of doing what I did , climbing straight in and realising half way that there was no where I could safely land w/o knocking myself unconscious and I also was unable to go back the way I came . Lucky for me it was early in the morning so not many people saw!! :P

Would you not just ring the RA on call to let them in? A lot less hassle :p

Well you see that wasn't suggested untill I was stuck in the window for about 10 mins. I really think they just wanted a laugh and knew I'd get stuck in there so never said anything:(

aaabbbb wrote: »
    If you happen to be in Avocca 1 I have a fun fact for you about that apartment , I once got stuck in the window for a solid 20 mins while trying to get in to let my friend in who had forgotten their key!! One of the most painful experiences ever I must say.

Note to incoming freshers , if you do have to resort to this drastic action make sure there is actually somewhere for you to land before you get into window . Instead of doing what I did , climbing straight in and realising half way that there was no where I could safely land w/o knocking myself unconscious and I also was unable to go back the way I came . Lucky for me it was early in the morning so not many people saw!! :P
    what year were you in avoca???

what year were you in avoca???

I wasn't , it was a friend of a friend and it was last year :D

I wasn't , it was a friend of a friend and it was last year :D
    ah was wondering, i was way up top of avoca a few years back :P

ah was wondering, i was way up top of avoca a few years back :P

This was ground floor , I aint no spider monkey!! :p

• Advertisement

This was ground floor , I aint no spider monkey!! :p
    underachiever :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Absolutely nothing can beat the stories I could tell about living in Village -_-

marko93 wrote: »
    You're gonna fit in well around here ;)

I've been to Maynooth 4 times. Yet to see the campus sober. I think I'll get on with you guys/girls great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

We defo have to have beers

Yes.
    If we're having it in the SU

I've heard so much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

DB21 wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing can beat the stories I could tell about living in Village -_-

You lived in village? When?!

But yes... Village stories.. Oh the fun we had :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

You lived in village? When?!

2010/11

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I heard there was a orientation week for students using the HEAR scheme, can anyone tell me what that involves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Adele94

Name: Adele

Course: Law and Business

Interests: Telly, cinema, hanging out with friends having a laugh over silly things

Really excited to be going to maynooth, love the fact that its supposed to be super friendly! Applied for village apartments, hopefully the craic will be had <3

I heard there was a orientation week for students using the HEAR scheme, can anyone tell me what that involves?

There are loads of different things on during the orientation. There are talks, projects, campus tours and a disco :p (assuming that the layout is the same as previous years, but it usually always is). Some of the things people sometimes feel that they seem a little silly, but if you go into the week with a positive attitude and open mind, you should have a great time. It's a brilliant way to get to know people (I'm still good friends with people I met during my own orientation week) and to get your bearings with the campus. It's great when you go back a few weeks later to register and there's loads of people going around looking lost and you know where everything is :pac: i had an amazing time at all three orientations I attended (I was a leader for two of them), so hopefully you will too :) Is there anything else you want to know about it?

• Advertisement

Yep its for HEAR/DARE students . It's called LAUNCHPAD and usually takes place a week or so after the offers come out.

It's basically you live on campus for 3-4 days (I can't remember how long exactly) in the river apartments. You'll have a group leader per apt who are current students at NUIM and you'll do various activities and go to talks etc on subjects and general college life. Its basically like a summer camp style thing is the best way to describe it. Theres even an ALCOHOL-FREE DISCO ;) at the end in Lexlip GAA club. Which is hillairous , really brings back those awkward 13 year old teenage disco memories that you'd hoped were long forgotten :p .

Your not aloud any cigarettes (which is a bummer if you smoke!) or alcohol on the course and there's a curfew to be in the apt by 11pm (as far as I remember) on account of there people being there who may be under 18. You also kinda have to stay with your group leader all the time aswell.

Having said that it's great craic and a really good way to get to know loads of freshers and your way around the college before it fills up in sept. Good luck with the photo orienteering though , it's been re-designed this year to be an absolute bo***cks!! :P

Advertisement