Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jake wheatley curran

Hi jake wheatley curran is my name , I'm going into to first year music in maynooth and still can't find accommodation if anyone else is the same situation , please contact me and we could maybe try sort a house together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shakeshake

Hi jake wheatley curran is my name , I'm going into to first year music in maynooth and still can't find accommodation if anyone else is the same situation , please contact me and we could maybe try sort a house together :)

Yayy.. finally another bmus student!....There's very few of us around the place :P
    I'm Lydia Jones btw :D
    Do you know what day we're starting?! Still havent received anything from NUIM..

Anyone looking to share a house ? Failed to get campus , and now myself and another first year male are looking together ! Ive been looking and four bedroom houses seem to be the easiest to get and cheapest on daft.ie , so we'd be looking for two other students , male or female :) its a lot easier to find accommodation with a few more people , so if anyones in the same situation , please contact us as soon as possible :) my eamil is <snip>

Shakeshake wrote: »
    Yayy.. finally another bmus student!....There's very few of us around the place :P
    I'm Lydia Jones btw :D
    Do you know what day we're starting?! Still havent received anything from NUIM..

Hey Lydia ,
    I think our registration and orientation is on the thirteenth and fourteenth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Do science students have to buy a lab coat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Shakeshake

Hey Lydia ,
    I think our registration and orientation is on the thirteenth and fourteenth :)

Thank you!
    So lectures etc start the following week?! :D
    Better start practicing the aul piano again soon :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Do science students have to buy a lab coat?

Yup. If you're near a safety supplies shop, they're cheaper there. And short of setting it on fire/spilling a corrosive substance on it, it'll last you years. I've had mine for 4 years now.

Does anybody know how long roughly it would take to walk from the John Hume Building(North Campus) to Callan Hall(South Campus)?

Around 10 minutes at most at a good pace.

DB21 wrote: »
    Yup. If you're near a safety supplies shop, they're cheaper there. And short of setting it on fire/spilling a corrosive substance on it, it'll last you years. I've had mine for 4 years now.

Oh right thanks! Yeah, there's a small business park near me that might have them. If not, Navan or Drogheda should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Might seem like a silly question, but eh I am a big lad, do you just have to wear one or does it have to close? :P

Also, how much are they?

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    Might seem like a silly question, but eh I am a big lad, do you just have to wear one or does it have to close? :P

Also, how much are they?

It HAS to close. Them's the rules unfortunately. You'll be able to get one that fits somewhere. You should pay at most €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ksk33

Anyone in on the Wednesday and Thursday for orientation? :)

It HAS to close. Them's the rules unfortunately. You'll be able to get one that fits somewhere. You should pay at most €30.
    No worries, I'll just make sure I get a generous sized one :P
    ksk33 wrote: »

In Wednesday to Friday myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Fogman

A tenner is crazy imo. I've no idea what you'd even be able to buy for that.

Maybe you are content with buying a few packets of noodles and that for the week but I would never have been able to survive on that. I'd spend at least €20 on food.

Don't smoke so can't really comment on that. Used to have the odd one here or there. A great way to light up is by using the toaster. It's a skill in itself though and shouldn't be undertaken with drink in you.

If you drink Bulmers or Smithwicks or those designer drinks then prepare to drop down to the cheaper brands. I drank Bulmers only for all of first year. I nearly had to take out a mortgage to pay for them each week.

Rosie's Dew can be bought in Dunnes or in the Mill Off Licence. A can is €1 and it's 6%. Lethal stiff when you have 6 or 7 of them.

Don't bother buying drinks out. You'll run out of money very quickly that way. The odd time Mantra have deals on Jaegerbombs and you have to avail of them but for the most part they are a complete rip off.

Suppose it depends on how much food you can operate off.

Reared on Bavaria and that type of gear so I don't think I'll have that problem,as the saying goes "If It's not Dutch,You're paying too much!" ;)

Thanks for the feedback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shinato

Nah, I'm thursday and friday. It's so annoying because I'm itchin to go to Maynooth!

Wednesday, Thursday AND Friday :cool:

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Wednesday, Thursday AND Friday :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Imma be there all week!! Come say hi!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I really want a registration pack already, it doesn't feel real that i'm going yet! :p.. Where's the best place for coffee on campus?

I really want a registration pack already, it doesn't feel real that i'm going yet! :p.. Where's the best place for coffee on campus?

You should get it this week!!
    I love the coffee in chill, it's also pretty cheap!
    Bewleys are amazing too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

kellief wrote: »
    You should get it this week!!
    I love the coffee in chill, it's also pretty cheap!
    Bewleys are amazing too!!
    Where's Chill? North Campus I assume? And what do you mean by cheap? I'm trying to plan a coffee budget, not joking. I need one. The addiction is just ridiculous.. :L

If I don't decide how much to spend a day on coffee i'll just buy one before each lecture! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Where's Chill? North Campus I assume? And what do you mean by cheap? I'm trying to plan a coffee budget, not joking. I need one. The addiction is just ridiculous.. :L

If I don't decide how much to spend a day on coffee i'll just buy one before each lecture! :P

Chill is beside the restaurant and behind the arts building I think.

Chill is over beside the Students Union! :)
    Bewleys is in the arts block! You will see all of these places on your fabulous tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ParisOutrage_

Shinato wrote: »
    Nah, I'm thursday and friday. It's so annoying because I'm itchin to go to Maynooth!

I'm in the same days too. It feels like it's dragging in!

Shakeshake wrote: »
    Thank you!
    So lectures etc start the following week?! :D
    Better start practicing the aul piano again soon :/

hahaha yeah i havent touched the violin all summer :/

I'm in the same days too. It feels like it's dragging in!

Wa-hey! I'm cravin to go. I can't wait. Between this and our passion for history we'll need to unite and promote paitence! :D

Wa-hey! I'm cravin to go. I can't wait. Between this and our passion for history we'll need to unite and promote paitence! :D

I just want my student card, thats all! and haha yes we should! Though I doubt it would work, I'm very impatient :3

I just want my student card, thats all! and haha yes we should! Though I doubt it would work, I'm very impatient :3

Ah jeez stop! College is all that's running through my head :) I'm really tempted on moving up on the monday instead of waiting till wednesday just for the hell of it.

Ah jeez stop! College is all that's running through my head :) I'm really tempted on moving up on the monday instead of waiting till wednesday just for the hell of it.

You should! I would, if i was moving there! Feel like going up, just to chill haha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

marko93 wrote: »
    Jp said he could do a full shop for under a tenner in aldi/lidl. So just don't gorge on banquet meals and you'll be fine. Smokes depends on your brand and if you would switch to rollies! As for the beers. There is cheap beer to be had in most places and a large tescos extra up the road which often has some good deals.
    I will point out however that my grocery shopping is going to be cheaper than most because i dont eat meat so i save a good bit there. It's all a matter of shopping around for the right value. The days of family loyalty to one shop are long gone.
    A tenner is crazy imo. I've no idea what you'd even be able to buy for that.

Maybe you are content with buying a few packets of noodles and that for the week but I would never have been able to survive on that. I'd spend at least €20 on food.

Don't smoke so can't really comment on that. Used to have the odd one here or there. A great way to light up is by using the toaster. It's a skill in itself though and shouldn't be undertaken with drink in you.

If you drink Bulmers or Smithwicks or those designer drinks then prepare to drop down to the cheaper brands. I drank Bulmers only for all of first year. I nearly had to take out a mortgage to pay for them each week.

Rosie's Dew can be bought in Dunnes or in the Mill Off Licence. A can is €1 and it's 6%. Lethal stiff when you have 6 or 7 of them.

Don't bother buying drinks out. You'll run out of money very quickly that way. The odd time Mantra have deals on Jaegerbombs and you have to avail of them but for the most part they are a complete rip off.

I will save my receipt this weekend and we shall see what happens :P

Advertisement