Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Just payed my full fee of 2347Euro for Maynooth.

TIME NEEDS TO SPEED UP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sarah2594

Name: Sarah
    Course: Arts - anthropology, sociology and psychology
    just got river apartmets. . im in killary :D
    heard class stuff about Nuim and cant wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 minhols

You'll have about 12 hours a week in first year. That's split 4/4/4 between your three subjects. Some weeks you might only have 10 hours, depending on tutorials and that.

Just look out for what time your lectures are on at. You could find yourself with a lecture at 9 and then none until 2/3 the same day. It's perfect for people living on campus or in Maynooth but I'd imagine it's a nightmare for commuters.

Well I live in Dublin so it'll going to take me about an hour and forty five minutes to get home everyday so fingers crossed my timetable doesn't go like that! Thanks for letting me know though, I'm just nervous about my job..I can't really afford to leave...

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

Re. food shopping I regularly get by on 25-35 a month depending on how much cheese i eat and not including smokes and beer. Having said that, I have scurvy, am severely malnourished and have negative mass, plus I kill my own game for meat so I save a good bit there.

Note for anyone who enjoys a tipple but also paying as little as possible for it, you should look into home brewing. dead easy, set up equip will cost ~50 including stuff for first brew, after that you can brew 5gallons for about a tenner. It is perfectly legal, takes up less room than a hoover, doesn't stink the house out of it (ask tootyflooty! well except for that one strawberry cider... ), takes about 2 weeks. Few gallons, be graand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deanmckeague

Anyone looking to share a house ? Failed to get campus , and now myself and another first year male are looking together ! Ive been looking and four bedroom houses seem to be the easiest to get and cheapest on daft.ie , so we'd be looking for two other students , male or female :) its a lot easier to find accommodation with a few more people , so if anyones in the same situation , please contact us as soon as possible :) my eamil is <snip>
    Did you get accommodation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

I tried to google this and check qualifax but can't find it anywhere... Does anyone know how many students do Pharmaceutical and biomedical chemistry? Afaik the lectures are joined with other science students, how big are they? Can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Maybe email the chemistry department and ask? I'd say there would be about 200/250 people in the main science lectures; maybe more in biology 'cause a good few arts students also do it (or at least they did back in my day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tazmcn

How do I pay my registration fee and when is the closing date?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

tazmcn wrote: »
    How do I pay my registration fee and when is the closing date?

You will receive information about how to pay in the next few weeks. You can pay either by giro or laser card.
    And there is no official closing date really, but your student card won't work until you have paid, so the sooner the better for the likes of getting books out of the library and access to certain buildings.

TOOOTY! TEACH ME THE WAYS OF THE BREWERY!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 RachEnnis

Anybody get their registration letter yet?

marko93 wrote: »
    TOOOTY! TEACH ME THE WAYS OF THE BREWERY!?

Just stay away from brewing strawberry cider (actually more like sugared tar) and evvvvvverything will be fine :rolleyes:

Just stay away from brewing strawberry cider (actually more like sugared tar) and evvvvvverything will be fine :rolleyes:

Feck Cider. Gave that up a long time ago, where'd ye get all your gear and what not?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

RachEnnis wrote: »

No :( I really thought I'd get it today but no. Maybe tomorrow?

Boeing777 wrote: »

Got mine the other day. Paid and everything. :cool:

Got mine the other day. Paid and everything. :cool:

Wow your on the ball! What exactly was in it?

Wow your on the ball! What exactly was in it?

Well, I got the info pack that had two books, one about orientation and the other about NUIM in general.

Then another letter came a few days ago with a username and a password asking me to pay. Says you can pay it in two instalments, but I just paid in one.

Should mention I got a Round 0 offer :P

I thought I would have it today too! Was waiting with anticipation for the postman! No such luck! It will be the same tomorrow I'm guessing!

Well, I got the info pack that had two books, one about orientation and the other about NUIM in general.

Then another letter came a few days ago with a username and a password asking me to pay. Says you can pay it in two instalments, but I just paid in one.

Oh right! I thought there would have been a lot more. I'm doing Science Education so I'll have to be Garda Vetted. I'll probably get those forms after I register?

Oh right! I thought there would have been a lot more. I'm doing Science Education so I'll have to be Garda Vetted. I'll probably get those forms after I register?

Probably! Sure don't worry! Still a few weeks to go!

• Advertisement

Are clubs & societies commuter friendly? I plan on joining the Biology society but if it's on in the evening I probably won't be able to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Are clubs & societies commuter friendly? I plan on joining the Biology society but if it's on in the evening I probably won't be able to?

Each society has different events at different times!

Quick question; is there going to be any extra hours added to our timetable (doing arts ), like for tutorials or anything. I'm doing Irish so will I have language labs or anything added onto the 12 hours already there? Just need to let work know ASAP what hours I'll be able to do for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Yeah there will be, you don't get the times until the Semester starts, so it's tough to know when they will be. It's due to being able to choose your own time and classes in certain subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Quick question; is there going to be any extra hours added to our timetable (doing arts ), like for tutorials or anything. I'm doing Irish so will I have language labs or anything added onto the 12 hours already there? Just need to let work know ASAP what hours I'll be able to do for them!
    Yep, tutorials and labs are added on to the lecture hours.
    One hour of language labs a week, plus one hour of tutorials and one tutorial every two weeks was what I had when I was in first year Irish, but that was a while ago. I don't think it's changed, though. =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Bio soc afaik is on Weds from 7-9 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tooler08

I tried to google this and check qualifax but can't find it anywhere... Does anyone know how many students do Pharmaceutical and biomedical chemistry? Afaik the lectures are joined with other science students, how big are they? Can't wait :)

I'm in 3rd year now and when I was in 1st year there was 35 people. You have a pretty much identical course as general science in first year, you do 1 or 2 different chemistry practicles from the rest.
    All the phrama chems got put on the same bench as each other in biology and chemistry labs which is handy. You wont be in a single class with only phrama chems till 2nd year.

17 people changed/droped out from pharma chem between 1st to 2nd year and from people i've talked to the average number who are in 3rd/4th year is only around 8

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

IDK about Bio society but afaik most clubs and societies have at least one meet or event that are commuter friendly, talk to those you might be interested in on (fairs day 26th sept.) and they will be able to advise you.

The Juggling society, for example has a meet during the day on one day and then a meet on in the evening on a different day, you should come and learn how to stand on your head while balancing the world in both hands :D
    Playdo, the arts crafts and photography society, has loads of commuter friendly events throughout the year also.
    lots of others also cater for people who aren't living in Maynooth

Enthusiasm is the only requirement for any club or society,
    and pants,

almost all require people to wear pants.

Seems I don't even need to promote Fairs day, that Dr. Quirky will do it for me :P

Might just plug it here anyway...

Fairs day, September 26th

Main sports hall, €2 to join any/all clubs and societies, join as many as you like, plenty that cater to commuters too!
    And if you can't find one you like among the 90 or so that we do have, talk to me about setting up your own -
    http://maynoothsu.ie/index.php/your-union/vice-president-for-clubs-societies-union-development/

/end plug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 karengrace93

Hey!
    I'm Karen, 18, from Kilkenny.
    Studying: Spanish, Business and possibly Philosophy through Arts.
    Got a River Apartment on campus, delighted.
    Interests: music, TV, tennis, modern art, reading, Spanish, anything to do with New York (yet I've never been), Twitter, shopping. :)

Advertisement