Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 surenow

You don't need a travelcard anymore for the train. They accept normal college id. I use my old dit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shinato

Does the student card in NUIM serve as a form of ID on nights out? I was one of those people who were just too lazy to get an age card months ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭loser2k12

Shinato wrote: »
    Does the student card in NUIM serve as a form of ID on nights out? I was one of those people who were just too lazy to get an age card months ago...

I'm the exact same! It's also a bit dangerous to carry my passport everywhere >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Shinato wrote: »
    Depends really. I know some supermarkets wont take it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Most of the nightclubs will accept student ID but some of them will also ask for an age card or passport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Lads, I haven't gotten anything via post from Maynooth yet....

Lads, I haven't gotten anything via post from Maynooth yet....

You will get something Monday or Tuesday! Don't panic! Once you got your CAO confirmation you are going to Maynooth!
    I would suggest that if you haven't received anything by Wednesday give them a ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

surenow wrote: »
    You don't need a travelcard anymore for the train. They accept normal college id. I use my old dit card.

There was a thread in the last few days about a guy that got fined because he forgot his travel card and they wouldn't repeal the fine even when he brought his travel card into them. Its best not to give bad advice that could get people into trouble and make them pay fines they cant afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 surenow

GarIT wrote: »
    There was a thread in the last few days about a guy that got fined because he forgot his travel card and they wouldn't repeal the fine even when he brought his travel card into them. Its best not to give bad advice that could get people into trouble and make them pay fines they cant afford.

I never gave advice to not use a student card. You can now use ANY college id to get student train tickets see here http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_offers.jsp?i=4479. I used my DIT student id all last year for travel with no issues. He clearly had no student id whatsoever.

You can also use your acceptance letter to avail of the student fares if you have not received your college id yet.

Its best you don't criticize a post before researching it for yourself too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

cedb5699_Popcorn.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 tazmcn

You will receive information about how to pay in the next few weeks. You can pay either by giro or laser card.
    And there is no official closing date really, but your student card won't work until you have paid, so the sooner the better for the likes of getting books out of the library and access to certain buildings.

Thank you so much, I was starting to freak out a little because I have heard a few people paying it already. I will defiantly have it paid for when I go up :)

Hey!
    I'm Karen, 18, from Kilkenny.
    Studying: Spanish, Business and possibly Philosophy through Arts.
    Got a River Apartment on campus, delighted.
    Interests: music, TV, tennis, modern art, reading, Spanish, anything to do with New York (yet I've never been), Twitter, shopping. :)

Hey Karen, I am from Kilkenny also. Will you be getting the bus to Maynooth from the castle on Sundays when you are going back up?
    I can't believe there is another Kilkenny person. Everyone here seams to be going to Cork or Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ParisOutrage_

Hey I was wondering what kind of stationary we need for college? I assume just some pens and A4 pads...is there anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

Hey I was wondering what kind of stationary we need for college? I assume just some pens and A4 pads...is there anything else?

Don't forget your crocodile capper!
    Other than folders if your the organisational type, post-its, highlighters and the like if you really wanna be prepared I got by with pen and paper for pretty much everything. I may have been doing it very very wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 karengrace93

tazmcn wrote: »
    You will receive information about how to pay in the next few weeks. You can pay either by giro or laser card.
    And there is no official closing date really, but your student card won't work until you have paid, so the sooner the better for the likes of getting books out of the library and access to certain buildings.

Thank you so much, I was starting to freak out a little because I have heard a few people paying it already. I will defiantly have it paid for when I go up :)

Hey!
    I'm Karen, 18, from Kilkenny.
    Studying: Spanish, Business and possibly Philosophy through Arts.
    Got a River Apartment on campus, delighted.
    Interests: music, TV, tennis, modern art, reading, Spanish, anything to do with New York (yet I've never been), Twitter, shopping. :)

Hey Karen, I am from Kilkenny also. Will you be getting the bus to Maynooth from the castle on Sundays when you are going back up?
    I can't believe there is another Kilkenny person. Everyone here seams to be going to Cork or Waterford.

Hey! That's awesome, what school are you from? Two of my friends from Kilkenny are going to Maynooth too, and I've heard of a few other people too. :) Yeah, I'll definitely be getting the bus from there. Is that the Callinan Coaches one? Do you know any info about it, like times and stuff? I heard they're not running for another two weeks. :/

Hey! That's awesome, what school are you from? Two of my friends from Kilkenny are going to Maynooth too, and I've heard of a few other people too. :) Yeah, I'll definitely be getting the bus from there. Is that the Callinan Coaches one? Do you know any info about it, like times and stuff? I heard they're not running for another two weeks. :/
    wait a minute....you don't have a brother called mark do u?
    dr.quirky wrote: »
    Other than folders if your the organisational type, post-its, highlighters and the like if you really wanna be prepared I got by with pen and paper for pretty much everything. I may have been doing it very very wrong..

Hell no, we did it right

jpcarlow wrote: »
    wait a minute....you don't have a brother called mark do u?
    dr.quirky wrote: »

Hell no, we did it right

Haha no, sorry! I have no relatives whatsoever called Mark. :)

What's a crocodile capper??? Google did not help!!

I'm a stationary fiend so I had folders and notepads for each module and then dividers.
    Then I had a highlighting colour coding system for my notes and special pens and loads of stuff!
    I can't wait to go and get all my stuff now in Tesco.

Stationary is the best part of starting college again!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Ah lads...can't wait to go down next weekend :p
    The only thing is that I don't think I'll be going back to Thurles as often as I planned - can't find a bus going through - will have to go on train & through Dublin (too much money). Was plannin on going home every second week but it looks like it might be less...
    If anyone knows of a bus going through here or Templemore or somewhere in the area, let me know :D

When is everyone going down to maynooth? I'm coming down on Saturday :p woop!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ParisOutrage_

kellief wrote: »
    What's a crocodile capper??? Google did not help!!

I'm a stationary fiend so I had folders and notepads for each module and then dividers.
    Then I had a highlighting colour coding system for my notes and special pens and loads of stuff!
    I can't wait to go and get all my stuff now in Tesco.

Stationary is the best part of starting college again!

yeah, I don't know what it is either :3

You sound like me,so thanks, I have an idea what to get now :P

Haha no, sorry! I have no relatives whatsoever called Mark. :)
    ah no worries. :P

• Advertisement

Schonie wrote: »
    The only thing is that I don't think I'll be going back to Thurles as often as I planned - can't find a bus going through - will have to go on train & through Dublin (too much money). Was plannin on going home every second week but it looks like it might be less...
    If anyone knows of a bus going through here or Templemore or somewhere in the area, let me know :D

I'm heading up on Monday morning, I'd be there on the Sunday but it's All-Ireland day and I'm from Kilkenny. :)

I am from Loreto, you?
    All I know about is it runs from the Castle at 6:30 on Sundays. I know there are more times at the weekends but that's all I know unfortunately. I think there is a link somewhere about the times and stuff. I will try find it. I think its only 5 quid too :D.
    Did you get on campus accommodation? I got Carrick :) I have orientation from Monday to Thursday :/ So I am heading up on Sunday :) However, from here it seems like not a lot of people are heading up on Sunday :/

I'm heading up on Monday morning, I'd be there on the Sunday but it's All-Ireland day and I'm from Kilkenny. :)

I should read post before I post my own :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Schonie wrote: »

One of the special coolege buses might ? Though I've no idea about those, as I'm from Dublin, so just take the train home! :p

I am from Loreto, you?
    All I know about is it runs from the Castle at 6:30 on Sundays. I know there are more times at the weekends but that's all I know unfortunately. I think there is a link somewhere about the times and stuff. I will try find it. I think its only 5 quid too :D.
    Did you get on campus accommodation? I got Carrick :) I have orientation from Monday to Thursday :/ So I am heading up on Sunday :) However, from here it seems like not a lot of people are heading up on Sunday :/

I'm from Pres. :) Oh ok, thank you! The NUIM website says it leaves the college at 4.10 on a Friday but I saw sonewhere else that it leaves at 2.30 so I'm not sure. :/ €5, seriously? That's awesome causeBus Eireann works out at about €24 return! I did, I'm in Boyne. :D Carrick is a River apartment too, right? Monday to Thursday is a lot, mine is just Monday and Tuesday. What are you studying? Yeah, I'm not too sure to be honest. I'd say it'll be at least monday before all the Kilkenny people are up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I am from Loreto, you?

omg, another Carricker <3.. What apartment are you in? I'm in 7! :D

I'm from Pres. :) Oh ok, thank you! The NUIM website says it leaves the college at 4.10 on a Friday but I saw sonewhere else that it leaves at 2.30 so I'm not sure. :/ €5, seriously? That's awesome causeBus Eireann works out at about €24 return! I did, I'm in Boyne. :D Carrick is a River apartment too, right? Monday to Thursday is a lot, mine is just Monday and Tuesday. What are you studying? Yeah, I'm not too sure to be honest. I'd say it'll be at least monday before all the Kilkenny people are up! ;)

I don't know about those bus times at all. We might get them at orentaion. Hopefully. Yeah I think its only 5 Euro. That's what one of my friends paid last year, 5 Euro each way :). Awesome, yeah Carrick is River too :D
    I am studying Community and Youth Work, yourself?
    I have to go up on Sunday because I have no other way up otherwise. I shall be wearing my jersey regardless ;)

omg, another Carricker <3.. What apartment are you in? I'm in 7! :D

I am in ''Apartment No.5 - C''. Whatever that means. I think you are just above me. I think... When are you moving up?

I don't know about those bus times at all. We might get them at orentaion. Hopefully. Yeah I think its only 5 Euro. That's what one of my friends paid last year, 5 Euro each way :). Awesome, yeah Carrick is River too :D
    I have to go up on Sunday because I have no other way up otherwise. I shall be wearing my jersey regardless ;)

I am in ''Apartment No.5 - C''. Whatever that means. I think you are just above me. I think... When are you moving up?

Means you're in Room C in Apartment number 5, so its on the first floor

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Oh yeah..that's why I'm going up the day before - Thurles is gonna be crazy on Sunday:P
    aaabbbb wrote: »
    One of the special coolege buses might ? Though I've no idea about those, as I'm from Dublin, so just take the train home! :p
    I looked at those but none are going through here. Ah sure..I'll figure something out. Lucky :P

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm sure we'll figure something out anyway. :) Cool, we'll be in or around the same area so!
    My cousin has been studying Community and Youth Work in NUIM for the last couple of years and he absolutely loves it. From what he says, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :D I'm doing Spanish and Business through Arts, can't wait! :) Haha, fair enough! Kilkenny Pride, woop! :D

Advertisement