Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Novella wrote: »
    I have a letter to say that my grant application has been approved, pending some documentation of my claim. So I've sent the documentation needed, but haven't heard anything back. I can't really afford to pay the fees out of my own pocket right now, even if they would be refunded down the line, so should I just bring that letter and pay the Student Contribution?

I should probably just e-mail the fees and grants office about this!

I've been told if you are waiting on a grant you have until the 31st of October to have it approved before you have to pay fees, you wont get a student card until you either pay of have your grant approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

murphyyy wrote: »
    has anyone else not received their information packs? I still haven't gotten mine and have no way of paying my fees that are due tomorrow. Stressing!

Might be an idea to ring the admissions office to let them know you never received your pack. Don't worry about the fees yet, you can pay them whenever. They won't take away your place!!
    GarIT wrote: »
    I don't know whether to pay the fees or not, SUSI say my application is being processed, but I want a student card because I'll save a lot on the bus and I should be able to get enough together to pay the fees. Whats the latest you can pay them?

Technically the latest date to pay them in full is June 30th. If you pay the first half of your reg fee and then get your grant approved it will probably be reimbursed around March (this is from my own experience with a county council though, might be different with SUSI). Also you got in through HEAR right? I think if you bring your HEAR acceptance letter ('cause then it's pretty obvious that you'll be getting a grant) you might be able to be registered fully (i.e. get your student card) without paying the registration fee. Happened like this back in my first year, although things could be different now.
    Novella wrote: »
    I have a letter to say that my grant application has been approved, pending some documentation of my claim. So I've sent the documentation needed, but haven't heard anything back. I can't really afford to pay the fees out of my own pocket right now, even if they would be refunded down the line, so should I just bring that letter and pay the Student Contribution?

I should probably just e-mail the fees and grants office about this!

I'd just bring the letter and pay the €97, it should be okay. Although might indeed be best to contact fees & grants just to be certain.

Seren_ wrote: »
    Technically the latest date to pay them in full is June 30th. If you pay the first half of your reg fee and then get your grant approved it will probably be reimbursed around March (this is from my own experience with a county council though, might be different with SUSI). Also you got in through HEAR right? I think if you bring your HEAR acceptance letter ('cause then it's pretty obvious that you'll be getting a grant) you might be able to be registered fully (i.e. get your student card) without paying the registration fee. Happened like this back in my first year, although things could be different now.

What I actually meant was if I paid at 6pm on the 12th would it on the system for 9am on the 13th, but most people probably wouldnt know that.

Yeah I did, I think there going to have to do something like that, they asked everyone at Launchpad if they had their grant approved and I think about 5 out of 180 did.

They shouldn't leave 175 students without student cards cause the grants are slow this year.

I applied for the grant on the first day, sent my documents back the day after I was asked for them and I've still heard nothing nearly 4 weeks later now.

If I don't get my student card applying for thw grant will be costing me €80 a month in transport costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

What I actually meant was if I paid at 6pm on the 12th would it on the system for 9am on the 13th, but most people probably wouldnt know that.

Yeah I did, I think there going to have to do something like that, they asked everyone at Launchpad if they had their grant approved and I think about 5 out of 180 did.

They shouldn't leave 175 students without student cards cause the grants are slow this year.

I applied for the grant on the first day, sent my documents back the day after I was asked for them and I've still heard nothing nearly 4 weeks later now.

If I don't get my student card applying for thw grant will be costing me €80 a month in transport costs.

Yeah it is completely unfair. No Travel card means my Travel costs will nearly be the price of my rent per week. WAY too expensive like because the Grant system is a disgrace. I don't think we're allowed borrow books from the library either? Is it true that we can't use the wireless internet around college because we won't have a student number/password?

Yeah it is completely unfair. No Travel card means my Travel costs will nearly be the price of my rent per week. WAY too expensive like because the Grant system is a disgrace. I don't think we're allowed borrow books from the library either? Is it true that we can't use the wireless internet around college because we won't have a student number/password?

You cant borrow books, cant use the wifi, cant use the gym or swimming pool as well as other things.

• Advertisement

You cant borrow books, cant use the wifi, cant use the gym or swimming pool as well as other things.

Really? This is ridiculous.. Everytime I email that SUSI crowd they just tell me they haven't processed my application. ugh.

You can use the wifi as you'll have your student number (same as your CAO number) and password. You get them at registration regardless of whether you pay the fees or not (they're also your @nuim.ie email login details too). You can use the swimming pool 'cause they don't look for cards. I think if you give your student number at the desk you can use the gym without your card. You can use the library too; just read the books in there until you get your card :)

****, now I have to apply for an age card/new passport as my old one is out of date and I was hoping to use my Student ID Card as my ID because it'd have my DOB.. FFS. This grant business is frankly a load of bóllox..

You can use the wifi as you'll have your student number (same as your CAO number) and password. You get them at registration regardless of whether you pay the fees or not (they're also your @nuim.ie email login details too). You can use the swimming pool 'cause they don't look for cards. I think if you give your student number at the desk you can use the gym without your card. You can use the library too; just read the books in there until you get your card :)
    Thanks for that! You don't happen to know if the new Library is open yet Shauna?

I don't think it is, but I haven't been on campus on a while so can't be 100% certain! Last I heard it's meant to be opening sometime in October.

• Advertisement

Thats quite a different picture to what the college gave, maybe they are scaring people to sort it quick. The leaders on Launchpad all seemed to be saying youll be grand, its not a great situation but youll manage, ect, while the college staff were saying you must get it sorted if you want to do x,y and z.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Probably a silly question, but does NUIM give any free stuff out at orientation?:p I've friends in UCD that were given loads of freebies and even had SPIN 1038 given out free stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Probably a silly question, but does NUIM give any free stuff out at orientation?:p I've friends in UCD that were given loads of freebies and even had SPIN 1038 given out free stuff too.

They do indeed , theres loads of freebies :P We got a whole bag of stuff last year :L

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RachEnnis

Anybody know what the geography books for first year are, and what edition? My Uncle has geography books from his degree, and just want to know if I'm safe to use them, or if they have changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 karengrace93

Guys, has anyone actually properly received their grant yet, or are they all still being processed? Like, I have the letter to say I've been deemed eligible for a grant, is that enough proof? Because this whole not having a student card malarky sounds like a right pain in the ass.

Thats quite a different picture to what the college gave, maybe they are scaring people to sort it quick. The leaders on Launchpad all seemed to be saying youll be grand, its not a great situation but youll manage, ect, while the college staff were saying you must get it sorted if you want to do x,y and z.

The college just want your money :p don't worry about it! Seriously, as annoying as it might be, you'll be grand for a wee while without it.

You will get loads. I got nearly enough free noodles and juice to last the entire first semester. Actually, I know where I'll be next week so... >.>
    Guys, has anyone actually properly received their grant yet, or are they all still being processed? Like, I have the letter to say I've been deemed eligible for a grant, is that enough proof? Because this whole not having a student card malarky sounds like a right pain in the ass.

If you have a letter saying you're elegible then you are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Yeah, that's the letter I have, but nothing further and I applied for my grant the day they started accepting applications! :pac: Same with my brother, so I'd imagine they're still being processed right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 the tacksman

Really? This is ridiculous.. Everytime I email that SUSI crowd they just tell me they haven't processed my application. ugh.

Unfair and ridiculous can join 'fishy' and 'suspicious' as words that describe your abuse of the grant system
    Afernoon MBBFL.. <3
    Yes, I've a Miniature Yorkie and 2 Horses <3

Your in such dire need of this grant yet can afford to maintain two horses

mod: the tacksman banned for this post (personal abuse)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Unfair and ridiculous can join 'fishy' and 'suspicious' as words that describe your abuse of the grant system

1) Grant system is in shambles. They're fast enough to deny people but slow enough to sort people who deserve one, and cause problems with full use of college facilities. So your attitude is unfair and ridiculous. Your 1 post is also fishy and suspicious.

2) You've no idea if these people saved or not to purchase a horse and keep money to maintain them, or if they have some agreement to look after the horses. Just because they own certain things does not mean they don't need a grant.

3) If you have nothing to add to this, please, make your way to the thunderdome. Where other people like you belong.

Have a good one.

Damn, Seren beat me to it, and there was me being all nice and stuffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

****, now I have to apply for an age card/new passport as my old one is out of date and I was hoping to use my Student ID Card as my ID because it'd have my DOB.. FFS. This grant business is frankly a load of bóllox..
    Tbh you should never count on your student card as your ID. Most stores need an Age card or Passport/License as your ID as it's stipulated by law (especially when it comes to selling Alcohol)

Student card (outside of college) is mainly benefical for student discounts in places like heatons and cinemas and that. In Maynooth, you need them for the library, the gym (though i went all first year without needing it), the practice rooms if you're a music student.

You only need your student number and password for the wifi.

DAMMIT SEREN YOU BEAT ME TO BANNING TACKSMAN. I HAD THE HAMMER READY

• Advertisement

jpcarlow wrote: »

DAMMIT SEREN YOU BEAT ME TO BANNING TACKSMAN. I HAD THE HAMMER READY

He beat me too putting that fooool in his place YO'

One day I swear I'll have a ban hammer and rule with an Iron Fist.

:pac:

marko93 wrote: »
    He beat me too putting that fooool in his place YO'

One day I swear I'll have a ban hammer and rule with an Iron Fist.
    *She

haha

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of MOD!"
    Thor_CastOut_Q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mspoppins

Hey All

Name: Orla

Course: General Science

Interests: Music, Twitter, Tv, Cinema, Biology, Going out

Anyone staying In studentAccommodationMaynooth btw :D

*She

With the disrespect shown from her, I don't think I mind calling her a bloke.

Also, what would ye need to be doing to obtain a ban hammer :3

I think we're going to be very good friends Niall.. Same way of thinking my man! :p Freebies are a must have! :pac:

marko93 wrote: »
    With the disrespect shown from her, I don't think I mind calling her a bloke.

Also, what would ye need to be doing to obtain a ban hammer :3
    Tbh i've no clue. I think you have to recommended and vouched for by an existing mod. Plus it depends on when the particular forum requires mods to wield the hammer

mod: the tacksman banned for this post (personal abuse)

LOL :pac: <3..

Tbh i've no clue. I think you have to recommended and vouched for by an existing mod. Plus it depends on when the particular forum requires mods to wield the hammer

I believe we can exchange beers, when such a time arises :cool: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I think we're going to be very good friends Niall

Get a room :pac:

Advertisement