Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Yep its for HEAR/DARE students . It's called LAUNCHPAD and usually takes place a week or so after the offers come out.

It's basically you live on campus for 3-4 days (I can't remember how long exactly) in the river apartments. You'll have a group leader per apt who are current students at NUIM and you'll do various activities and go to talks etc on subjects and general college life. Its basically like a summer camp style thing is the best way to describe it. Theres even an ALCOHOL-FREE DISCO ;) at the end in Lexlip GAA club. Which is hillairous , really brings back those awkward 13 year old teenage disco memories that you'd hoped were long forgotten :p .

Your not aloud any cigarettes (which is a bummer if you smoke!) or alcohol on the course and there's a curfew to be in the apt by 11pm (as far as I remember) on account of there people being there who may be under 18. You also kinda have to stay with your group leader all the time aswell.

Having said that it's great craic and a really good way to get to know loads of freshers and your way around the college before it fills up in sept. Good luck with the photo orienteering though , it's been re-designed this year to be an absolute bo***cks!! :P

If you qualify for HEAR do you HAVE to do this? :L don't think I could do without smokes for 3-4 days and that disco sounds like torture :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

It's really not that bad(esp if as another poster said you just put your heart in it and have a positive attitude toward the activities etc.) and I'm sure you'll live for a few days!! :P They have patches if you're that desperate.... :L and yeah it's compulsory. Even if it wasn't I'd really encourage you to do it. You wont realise it on the course but when it gets to October you will realise what a great benefit it has been to you =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I might go anyway :L Might be able to sneak a few cigs at some point. I'm a demon without them and won't be feeling my most social :L

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KaylaK369

I'm Michaela, I'm 17, living in Wexford and I'm doing Arts in NUIM next month. My subjects will probably be History, English and Business but sure we'll see!

I applied for accommodation about 8 months ago when I set my heart on Maynooth with River as my number one but I'd gladly take anywhere on-campus!

I got the HEAR Scheme as well, so I'll be tipping up on the 26th to start the orientation! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

This thread needs more Science/Computer Science people.. >_>

Serious question: What's the best pub local to the campus. :P

Also, I just noticed the CSSE and CS are quite different. Will I be allowed switch in! I I look forward to meeting you all provided the opportunity arises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

marko93 wrote: »

Also, I just noticed the CSSE and CS are quite different. Will I be allowed switch in! I I look forward to meeting you all provided the opportunity arises.
    The Roost was great....now they're edging closer to Mantra style and that irks me, so I would go with O'Neills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

SU is pretty good when it's not packed to the rafters. Usually go in on a Friday afternoon for an actual quiet one :pac:

Thanks lads! I'm no alcoholic but I do enjoy a good pint.

ROOST FTW!! :D

DB21 wrote: »
    SU is pretty good when it's not packed to the rafters. Usually go in on a Friday afternoon for an actual quiet one :pac:

The €3 drinks in the SU on a Monday are beast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Thanks lads! I'm no alcoholic but I do enjoy a good pint.

Write down the exact date and time you said that. Revisit this post in one year and laugh.

Also, everyone make sure to ask TootyFlutty lots of hard questions on your visit to the Students' Union during Orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

banquo wrote: »
    Also, everyone make sure to ask TootyFlutty lots of hard questions on your visit to the Students' Union during Orientation.

OR you could bring me cupcakes instead?

For the love of Jebus, please no questions, didn't I have enough of those during the hustings? :rolleyes:

banquo wrote: »
    Write down the exact date and time you said that. Revisit this post in one year and laugh.

I'll keep that in mind :P

Another serious question, where would the cheapest/nicest chicken rolls be found?

I'll keep that in mind :P

Another serious question, where would the cheapest/nicest chicken rolls be found?

Dunnes prob there rolls are between 2- 3 € depending what you get having said that the coffee mill might also be a good place, but I've never eaten the rolls in there so I couldn't say !

Dunnes prob there rolls are between 2- 3 € depending what you get having said that the coffee mill might also be a good place, but I've never eaten the rolls in there so I couldn't say !

Actually, does anyone know what the Archery club is like? Never done it, but wouldn't mind giving it a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

The €3 drinks in the SU on a Monday are beast

This is also true. Hope they keep the same offers for this year. €3.50 bulmers nomnomnom

• Registered Users Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I've got a couple of questions:
    1. What's the Internet like in the apartments?
    2. Would I be able to leave the HEAR orientation programme early? My debs is on the 29th. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Actually, does anyone know what the Archery club is like? Never done it, but wouldn't mind giving it a shot!
    Archery club is AWESOME, DEFINITELY join!
    /notbiased

How so Joe wrote: »
    Archery club is AWESOME, DEFINITELY join!
    /notbiased

What is the training like? Is it free or what?

What is the training like? Is it free or what?
    Well, it's €2 to join any club or soc at the start of the year.
    We train three times a week. Two of those are free to join, equipment is provided.
    The third session is with our coach, so only people serious about competing really go to that, especially because you have to pay coaching fees.
    We teach beginners the basics, and if you want to learn more, keep coming. Only thing is, we really don't tolerate messing about, but that's to be expected in a high-risk sport.

• Advertisement

Well, it's €2 to join any club or soc at the start of the year.
    We train three times a week. Two of those are free to join, equipment is provided.
    The third session is with our coach, so only people serious about competing really go to that, especially because you have to pay coaching fees.
    We teach beginners the basics, and if you want to learn more, keep coming. Only thing is, we really don't tolerate messing about, but that's to be expected in a high-risk sport.

Sounds interesting! Will defo be signing up for that!

What's the training like?

Sounds interesting! Will defo be signing up for that!

What's the training like?
    The first few weeks are fairly regimented - we get a lot of first years and have a limited number of bows, so it works in shifts - you'll shoot your arrows, someone else will shoot theirs, blah blah blah.

Other than that, non-coached sessions you can mostly do what you want - the older/more experienced members will help if you ask, or if you just want to take your top off, stick in headphones and shoot arrows, you can do that too, as long as you stick with the schedule.

As for coached sessions, I don't know, I'm not good enough to be at them. :(
    Maybe Tootyflutty will shed some light.

The first few weeks are fairly regimented - we get a lot of first years and have a limited number of bows, so it works in shifts - you'll shoot your arrows, someone else will shoot theirs, blah blah blah.

Other than that, non-coached sessions you can mostly do what you want - the older/more experienced members will help if you ask, or if you just want to take your top off, stick in headphones and shoot arrows, you can do that too, as long as you stick with the schedule.

As for coached sessions, I don't know, I'm not good enough to be at them. :(
    Maybe Tootyflutty will shed some light.

Do you have to be selected to attend to coaching sessions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I've got a couple of questions:
    1. What's the Internet like in the apartments?

Wireless in Village and wired in River & Rye Hall (assuming it's still the same as when I lived there!). It's pretty quick, but there is a firewall so you can't torrent/play MMORPGs etc.
    2. Would I be able to leave the HEAR orientation programme early? My debs is on the 29th. :(

You'll be able to leave to go to your debs, but depending on what day it's on/how far away from NUIM you live you might have to come back to finish the orientation.

Loads of people left and came back for debs etc. cso yeah you can you just need to tell them first obv.... :P

Do you have to be selected to attend to coaching sessions?

Hey Marko93,

Nope, you don't have to be selected, it's entirely up to you if you want to attend them. It's just not quiet as laid back, so in previous years we said to attend the normal trainings, and if you stick it past the first few weeks (like Howsojoe said, they are pretty regimented) then when numbers drop a bit head along to the coach sessions. And hey, if you decide you don't like it, no pressure, you can just go back to regular training times.
    It's a nice laid back environment, and once you get past the initial few weeks, you really start to improve and enjoy even more :)

Hey Marko93,

Nope, you don't have to be selected, it's entirely up to you if you want to attend them. It's just not quiet as laid back, so in previous years we said to attend the normal trainings, and if you stick it past the first few weeks (like Howsojoe said, they are pretty regimented) then when numbers drop a bit head along to the coach sessions. And hey, if you decide you don't like it, no pressure, you can just go back to regular training times.
    It's a nice laid back environment, and once you get past the initial few weeks, you really start to improve and enjoy even more :)

That sounds exciting! Are there any competitions for beginners and such?

That sounds exciting! Are there any competitions for beginners and such?

the club is a part of an intervarsity league between loads of other colleges, and there are different categories at these. So naturally you would start in the beginners and work your way up :)
    Numbers depending, sometimes there is a small competition in the club to get onto the team for these intervaristies, but usually if you want to go to one they can slot you in.

the club is a part of an intervarsity league between loads of other colleges, and there are different categories at these. So naturally you would start in the beginners and work your way up :)
    Numbers depending, sometimes there is a small competition in the club to get onto the team for these intervaristies, but usually if you want to go to one they can slot you in.

Oh that sounds great ^_^

That satisfies my curiosity for now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

jpcarlow wrote: »
    and you should know that JP isnt my name, just shorthand for it ;)

Didn't want to give away your mysterious cloak of initials!
    OR you could bring me cupcakes instead?

For the love of Jebus, please no questions, didn't I have enough of those during the hustings? :rolleyes:

I did bring you cupcakes!!!

Hope everyone is good?

Advertisement