Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Does anyone else have music through art or on it's own on their CAO. I done it on it's own entrance exam went bad I thought it was too difficult so didn't get music on it's own but have it through arts on cao.

Thanks god you don't need maths for that!!

I play piano and am on DipABRSM so pretty advanced!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

I've music through arts on mine, but no so sure I've I'll end up doing it or not. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

The main thing that decided it for a lot of people i knew was that doing it through arts meant the jazz/pop module which is basically anything from around the 30s or 40s onwards (unfortunate indication of how much attention i had) would be in third year whereas if you enter through pure music you get to do it a year earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Anyone considering doing music here at Maynooth? I am play piano and on DipABRSM so pretty advanced!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shakeshake

Anyone doing just straight music?Know absolutely no one doing it as there's such a small crew of us :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Actually, question for anyone doing CS or CSSE! The programmes that you need for coding and such are they demanding? :3

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

Name: Maggie

Course (hopefully): Arts - History, Chinese Studies and either English or Philosophy.

Interests: Music, reading, baking, history, etc.

Also, I'm really interested in joining archery! I watched some of it from the Olympics, and I liked it more than I thought I would. I'm aiming to be competing in archery for Rio :pac: .

Beware wrote: »
    Name: Maggie

Course (hopefully): Arts - History, Chinese Studies and either English or Philosophy.

Interests: Music, reading, baking, history, etc.

Also, I'm really interested in joining archery! I watched some of it from the Olympics, and I liked it more than I thought I would. I'm aiming to be competing in archery for Rio :pac: .

See you at Archery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

marko93 wrote: »
    See you at Archery :D

Yay, everybody join archery!
    Actually everybody just get involved in any club or society, best thing you wil ever do! and loads of them cater to commuters so no excuses :P

Fairs day is Wednesday September 26th of September, and only €2 per club and society!

Name: Karl

Course (hopefully): Arts - Music/French/English/Antropology/Philosophy.
    (I've a choice to make) :P

Interests: Music, Sports, Reading, Creating.

See me at the Cycling Soc, if they have one? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Dont think there is a cycling club afaik ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

Name: Kevin

Course: Hoping for !!!SCIENCE!!!, within that course I'd pick computer science, physics and maths.

Interests: Reading, writing, music (I play guitar, banjo and piano...none of them very well), videogames, and voluntary first-aid shtuff with the Order of Malta. I gave up sports during the Leaving Cert (it was my excuse, anyway), but will definitely join a few clubs when I get the opportunity. Archery seems to be the trendy one in this thread, I might start up a clay-pigeon shooting club just to be different!

Good luck to everyone getting results tomorrow anyway, hopefully I'll be seeing you a few weeks from now.

Oh, and I prefer cider over beer. [HERETIC :mad:].

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Dont think there is a cycling club afaik ????

That upsets me but ah well, I'll join something!

karl_m wrote: »
    That upsets me but ah well, I'll join something!

There is the Galway cycle though!! :D

and you could always start your own cycling club , I'm sure there would be interest!!

aaabbbb wrote: »
    There is the Galway cycle though!! :D

and you could always start your own cycling club , I'm sure there would be interest!!

I'm sure there would! Once I get my very own racer I will start a club, you're all invited. :D

karl_m wrote: »
    I'm sure there would! Once I get my very own racer I will start a club, you're all invited. :D

haha I can be , "team coach/motivator" and I'll get my very own megaphone and yell encouragement/abuse out the window at you all :P I'm far to lazy to cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beware

I have enough points to go to Maynooth! I hope to see you all there :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

To all incoming first years, if you have any worries about finances for the coming year(s) look here
    http://www.studentfinance.ie
    And any wonders about grant applications or concerns, here
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9540/new-grant-applications-for-2012-13/index.html

The new grant application system, SUSI is really student friendly, just make sure you do it in good time to ensure your fees get sorted!

Oh and if you havn't even started the application yet here is where!
    https://www.grantsonline.ie/eseries/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

WOOOOOOOOOOOO. Got 525 in my Leaving Cert. yesterday, 75 points clear off last years cut off for the BBL Law with Business degree! Honnnnnnnnnnnnn the 'Nooth! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Don't want to jinx it but looking likely I'll be doing Digital Media next year in NUIM. Woooo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ParisOutrage_

Name: Christina

Course (I should get, yay!): European Studies- French and History :cool:

Interests: Reading, reading, dining out, gigs, random walks, pool, baking etc.

Ah I'm so excited! From the moment I saw that Maynooth had a Harry Potter soc I knew this was the place to be! :D Anyone doing the same course or a member of the HP soc?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Name: Kelly

Course (hopefully): Computer Science and Software Engineering (Arts)

Interests: Movies, Computers, Reading 50 shades of grey :P and walking my dogs

Any HEAR students doing the same course as me? Oh and btw what's the story for like food during orientation? Do we have to bring our own food and cook it in the apartments or do we get food for free or whats the jazz? I'm a hopeless cook!

Name: Christina

Course (I should get, yay!): European Studies- French and History :cool:

Interests: Reading, reading, dining out, gigs, random walks, pool, baking etc.

Ah I'm so excited! From the moment I saw that Maynooth had a Harry Potter soc I knew this was the place to be! :D Anyone doing the same course or a member of the HP soc?

Hey, snap, Harry Potter definitely joining that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

chomps_x wrote: »

Any HEAR students doing the same course as me? Oh and btw what's the story for like food during orientation? Do we have to bring our own food and cook it in the apartments or do we get food for free or whats the jazz? I'm a hopeless cook!

We don't feed you I'm afraid! That's something you gotta figure out for yourself!

Also, hp soc kinda faded out last year and didn't do very much at all. If you are really interested I would recommend starting it up again!

Hey, snap, Harry Potter definitely joining that!

Awesome! Definitely know I'll find great friends at NUIM :D

kellief wrote: »
    We don't feed you I'm afraid! That's something you gotta figure out for yourself!

Also, hp soc kinda faded out last year and didn't do very much at all. If you are really interested I would recommend starting it up again!

Awe, really? Yeah I might just do that. Every uni should have a hp soc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

chomps_x wrote: »

All food is provided at the HEAR orientation week, don't worry! You will get a letter letting you know all about what will be happening sometime next week :)

(I'm pretty sure Kellie is referring to the actual college orientation that everyone goes to so don't be worried!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Awe, really? Yeah I might just do that. Every uni should have a hp soc!

There is/was a few of us provisionally signed up to reviving the society again. It was a while back though (April/May), so I'm not sure of the situation now.

Info pack arrived yesterday, this is all so real!

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    Info pack arrived yesterday, this is all so real!

Info pack? Were you offered your choice in Round 0 or something?

Advertisement