Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shinato

History Buddy! :D

Hey! Hey! Will I be seeing ya in three weeks? :D

I LOVED the LC history exam. I had a botched knowlegde on 'Soverignty and Partition,' and the question on the day pratically asked for a small account on each section. *insert evil laugh here*

Botched knowlegde was due to dreadful teacher in 5th year but an amazing history teaching cyborg for the last five months :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

Hi guys, I've been offered a spot in the Rye Hall apartments...can anyone give me an idea of what to expect from them? I can't remember what made me go for Rye, possibly price. I was just putting down any sort of apartment at all. Would the River or Village apartments be nicer? Is it possible to switch at this stage? I'm just a bit apprehensive about Rye, I think I've heard some mixed reviews.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ParisOutrage_

Shinato wrote: »
    Hey! Hey! Will I be seeing ya in three weeks? :D

I LOVED the LC history exam. I had a botched knowlegde on 'Soverignty and Partition,' and the question on the day pratically asked for a small account on each section. *insert evil laugh here*

Botched knowlegde was due to dreadful teacher in 5th year but an amazing history teaching cyborg for the last five months :P

Hopefully you will! Don't know if I'll be in your class, but sure I'll be seeing you in the history soc yeah?

Haha I thought it was good, but I ****ed up dictatorship and democracy. Or teacher, too, wasn't the best and we weren't prepared for ANY of the questions! thankfully I got a somewhat answer out of JC history! :D Got me a B1 in HL so I was delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shinato

Hopefully you will! Don't know if I'll be in your class, but sure I'll be seeing you in the history soc yeah?

Haha I thought it was good, but I ****ed up dictatorship and democracy. Or teacher, too, wasn't the best and we weren't prepared for ANY of the questions! thankfully I got a somewhat answer out of JC history! :D Got me a B1 in HL so I was delighted!

Haha, that's pretty good :D And I totally agree with you on the 'JC aid' thing. My entire knowlegde of Gandhi came from primary school where I read a book from him in the school library. (By library... I mean bookshelf :P ) I litterally picked up the book and a girl said 'Oooh, are you married to him?'

9 years later, everyone still gives me funny looks whenever anyone mentions Gandhi... even my French teacher. How she knew, I'll never know :P

Well that was way off topic :P History society sounds so cool. What happens in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Haha, that's pretty good :D And I totally agree with you on the 'JC aid' thing. My entire knowlegde of Gandhi came from primary school where I read a book from him in the school library. (By library... I mean bookshelf :P ) I litterally picked up the book and a girl said 'Oooh, are you married to him?'

9 years later, everyone still gives me funny looks whenever anyone mentions Gandhi... even my French teacher. How she knew, I'll never know :P

Well that was way off topic :P History society sounds so cool. What happens in it?
    Woo History!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Clever_Cat_

Hey fellow first years.
    I'm and 18 year old female student from Donegal. Going into first year, but didnt get accomodation :( .... Any one else in the same boat? I know no other girls going .... Hellllp!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Viken wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've been offered a spot in the Rye Hall apartments...can anyone give me an idea of what to expect from them? I can't remember what made me go for Rye, possibly price. I was just putting down any sort of apartment at all. Would the River or Village apartments be nicer? Is it possible to switch at this stage? I'm just a bit apprehensive about Rye, I think I've heard some mixed reviews.

The reason you're hearing mixed reviews about it is because the blocks vary in quality so much. The block that I lived in for my first year at Rye Hall was a dump, 7 of us in the one apartment where nothing worked.

But going to other apartments in Rye Hall I saw that lots of them are quite nice. Not as nice as River, but better or on-par with village. It really depends on what block and what roomates you get, probably even more so than River or Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lucas14777

Any other first years looking for somewhere to rent after not getting on campus accommodation? I want to stay with other first years, not with people in 2nd, 3rd or 4th year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 YourBizzSoc

Hey fellow first years.
    I'm and 18 year old female student from Donegal. Going into first year, but didnt get accomodation :( .... Any one else in the same boat? I know no other girls going .... Hellllp!!!

Hello,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=975#
    this might be a good start :)

Thanks so much!!! Just feeling so out of my comfort zone at the minute. Dont even think I want to go to Maynooth anymore now.
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Hey fellow first years.

This really annoys me, I'm from Donegal too and I very nearly didn't get Campus for my first year. In UCD they take into account where you're from when giving out accommodation to first years. This means someone travelling from Donegal or Cork is going to get preference over someone who lives less than 2 hours away. Something NUIM should really look at bringing on board.

Take a look at the housing list someone posted up on the accommodation thread. Some people on that thread are looking for people to share with. Look at daft.ie and rent.ie too.

There's loadsa other people from Donegal in maynooth and the accent works wonders so you'll make loadsa friends in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 YourBizzSoc

Thanks so much!!! Just feeling so out of my comfort zone at the minute. Dont even think I want to go to Maynooth anymore now.

No problem, I had the same problem we I was in first year :) I know how you feel, Wasn't going to commute from Cork lol! Look check the link I gave you first see anything would come up. There are also a list of off campus accommodation available. I think someone posted on one of the other thread, no harm to check that. I know finding a place could be very stress! but trust me you will find a place in no time :)
    Viken wrote: »

Hiya, I lived in RyeHall last year, The apt I was in was very nice. In RyeHall, there are 7 bed apt and 4 bed, I was in the four bed one. The Room is very big, way bigger than the village one, it is the closest building to the lecturer halls. :) anyway if you didn't end up liking the place you can always change after a month or two. There are always people dropping out after a few weeks of college :) I was going to change to river, but ended up liking the place and my roomies ! Best of luck
    lnavalin wrote: »
    My daughter has been dreaming about going to Maynooth all year long. She just got her CAO results and she only got 400, less that what she needed to get into the degree she wanted... My question, since I don't really understand the system here, is can she be accepted into the University and then switch into the coursework she really wants? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I know if she was doing Arts, there are options to transfer to other degrees after 1st year if her grades meets the requirement. For example if she was to pick Law, Business, English as subjects, can transfer to Law and Business or Law and Arts, or Business and management

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

Jonah42 wrote: »
    The reason you're hearing mixed reviews about it is because the blocks vary in quality so much. The block that I lived in for my first year at Rye Hall was a dump, 7 of us in the one apartment where nothing worked.

But going to other apartments in Rye Hall I saw that lots of them are quite nice. Not as nice as River, but better or on-par with village. It really depends on what block and what roomates you get, probably even more so than River or Village.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, then. As long as the most basic of facilities are functioning and I get in with a nice group I'm happy. Thanks for the reply :)
    Hiya, I lived in RyeHall last year, The apt I was in was very nice. In RyeHall, there are 7 bed apt and 4 bed, I was in the four bed one. The Room is very big, way bigger than the village one, it is the closest building to the lecturer halls. :) anyway if you didn't end up liking the place you can always change after a month or two. There are always people dropping out after a few weeks of college :) I was going to change to river, but ended up liking the place and my roomies ! Best of luck

Thanks for the reassuring message. I thought I might be able to switch after a while, good to have that confirmed. I'm not particularly fussy anyway, I'll probably get on grand. Accommodation doesn't matter over-much to me, moreso the people/the course.

I might pop back into the thread if I have any more queries...if not, I'm looking forward to seeing you all in a few weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SB10123456

marko93 wrote: »
    General science? see ya there :)

Yes General!

What modules you gonna pick?

Me too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Parrot101

Name: Sinead

Course: Art's: music, maths and undecided...

Interests: Sport, music, this and that...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

SB10123456 wrote: »
    Me too! :D

SWEEEEEEEEET :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Parrot101

Does anyone else have music through art or on it's own on their CAO. I done it on it's own entrance exam went bad I thought it was too difficult so didn't get music on it's own but have it through arts on cao.

Thanks god you don't need maths for that!!

I play piano and am on DipABRSM so pretty advanced!
    I will be doing music through arts!!
    And I play piano too!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭annoyingbeast

Hey!
    First year doing History and politics in NUIM!

18, m
    looking for a single room for like 70 or 80 a week?
    anyone else looking around or whatever?

music, art, drinking, banter, reading, writing,

know a good few people going into nuim too!

going to look around tommorow! have deposit money and all.

If kathrynblo sees this... It wont let me PM you back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lumie

Name: Lou

Age: 22 (I feel so old, look like I'm 12 tho, got asked at the cinema if I wanted a children's ticket. Cheapness:p)

Course: (BCL )Law and Arts -- not sure which arts to do but I think you can try out a few first?

Interests: FUN!!, music, art, reading, sports, will try anything:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

If kathrynblo sees this... It wont let me PM you back :(
    You need to amass a number of posts first before you are allowed pm privileges

And seeing as you're all about to enter the college world

hahha No I needed it for Hilter's Foreign Policy...one word that came into my head was 'Appeasement' haha!

I'm not too sure really, I assume they'll tell you during Freshers week! But sure even if we just discuss history and give our opinions (basically a rant :P ) then I'd be happy :3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I loved History class, unfortunately it didn't translate into anything more than a B3. :(

I feel really bad now,I got accommodation and I live like 20 minutes away.. if it's any conciliation I plan on giving up my place. Where are you on the waiting list?

I feel really bad now,I got accommodation and I live like 20 minutes away.. if it's any conciliation I plan on giving up my place. Where are you on the waiting list?

Seriously you have got to be the nicest person ever.... But NO WAY... do not give up your experience because of me !!!! IM LIKE 150 on the waiting list :(

Hey!
    First year doing History and politics in NUIM!

18, m
    looking for a single room for like 70 or 80 a week?
    anyone else looking around or whatever?

music, art, drinking, banter, reading, writing,

know a good few people going into nuim too!

going to look around tommorow! have deposit money and all.

Would you consider living in Dublin? I know a friend who has a room.

Seriously you have got to be the nicest person ever.... But NO WAY... do not give up your experience because of me !!!! IM LIKE 150 on the waiting list :(

D'awwh don't make me blush! :p No no it wouldn't, honestly. I decided to stay at home since everything will be done for me here ^^ I've already emailed them saying I didn't want it so :P Awe, well if I hear of places even in Dublin, I'll let you know!

D'awwh don't make me blush! :p No no it wouldn't, honestly. I decided to stay at home since everything will be done for me here ^^ I've already emailed them saying I didn't want it so :P Awe, well if I hear of places even in Dublin, I'll let you know!

Can you PM me please ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aoife478

Im in the exact same position as you! Just wondering where you thinking of looking at houses? or do you know of any other apartments?

• Advertisement

Aoife478 wrote: »
    Im in the exact same position as you! Just wondering where you thinking of looking at houses? or do you know of any other apartments?

Its looking like some sort of house at this rate ... On a search though... but its so hard to find any :P

Are you doing arts?

Advertisement