Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* 1st Year NUIM Students 2012-2013 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aoife478

Yeah Im looking at the website they gave me ! I'm hoping I can find more! Yeah Im doing arts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 SB10123456

marko93 wrote: »
    SB10123456 wrote: »
    Me too! :D

SWEEEEEEEEET :cool:

Yeah :D any idea what modules your doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Clever_Cat_

If you do... Let me know :D...

Im doing ARTS too :)

If you do... Let me know :D...

Im doing ARTS too :)

Aw I meant science modules/subjects! Sorry :L we can totes still be friends though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ParisOutrage_

I loved History class, unfortunately it didn't translate into anything more than a B3. :(

A B3 is still very good considering the state of the History exam! How anyone can finish 4 essays in less than 3 hours is beyond me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Can anyone explain to me what happens on the first day (orientation I think it's called)? An outline of the day? Thanks

FinnD wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me what happens on the first day (orientation I think it's called)? An outline of the day? Thanks

http://studentservices.nuim.ie/sites/studentservices.nuim.ie/files/documents/Orientation%20Guide.pdf

all there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭loser2k12

Any other Biotech people out there? :((

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stars123

Hi sorry to interrupt, I accepted my place at Maynooth but didn't get an orientation guide! Where did you get yours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Stars123 wrote: »
    Hi sorry to interrupt, I accepted my place at Maynooth but didn't get an orientation guide! Where did you get yours :)

Pretty sure we'll get an info pack in the post over the next while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 minhols

Name: Holly

Course: I got arts (delighted!). Spanish, English and psychology :)

Very excited! It's so weird to think that we're actually starting college isn't it?

Stars123 wrote:
    Hi sorry to interrupt, I accepted my place at Maynooth but didn't get an orientation guide! Where did you get yours

frantic190 wrote: »
    Pretty sure we'll get an info pack in the post over the next while.

I found it on nuim.ie! and yeah, we will get one sent out :)

minhols wrote: »

Very excited! It's so weird to think that we're actually starting college isn't it?

Yay! more people from Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aine4444

Hey!
    Glad to see there's a page set up for us firsties :)
    Anyway,

Aine
    Mayo
    Accepted Arts the other day, hooray :)
    Music, gym, reading, movies, drinking... I feel like I'm on a dating site :L I guess I'm interesting :D

I've a few questions that may or may not have been already answered previously but I'm really not arsed scanning through this whole thread for them :L

I got Village Apartments on campus, how are they? Are they cold? Mixed?
    I'm hoping to do English, German and perhaps History for first year Arts although this could completely change. I haven't studied history to leaving cert however, have a huge interest in it. Does anyone know would I be falling behind in lectures/find it difficult to grasp? Also, do you get a taster of each Arts module before you permanently choose your three? How many hours a week about do you have for Arts? Is the gym free? Good night life? Is there any chance of getting weekend jobs around maynooth town?

Sorry if I've asked a bundle of pre answered questions :/ but thanks!
    See you all in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

WIDE AWAKE due to stupidity so I shall endeavour to answer some questions!!
    FinnD wrote: »
    You will have tours, meet all the staff in the college you will need to know over the next few years, have tours with the lovely, amazing fantastic students here (cough cough) and generally meet new people and have a great couple of days! Best advice is to go in with a positive attitude and a smile and you will have a brilliant orientation!
    Stars123 wrote: »
    You will get one in the post in the next few days! Don't panic! :)
    Aine4444 wrote: »
    Hey!
    Glad to see there's a page set up for us firsties :)
    Anyway,

Aine
    Mayo
    Accepted Arts the other day, hooray :)
    Music, gym, reading, movies, drinking... I feel like I'm on a dating site :L I guess I'm interesting :D

I've a few questions that may or may not have been already answered previously but I'm really not arsed scanning through this whole thread for them :L

I got Village Apartments on campus, how are they? Are they cold? Mixed?
    I'm hoping to do English, German and perhaps History for first year Arts although this could completely change. I haven't studied history to leaving cert however, have a huge interest in it. Does anyone know would I be falling behind in lectures/find it difficult to grasp? Also, do you get a taster of each Arts module before you permanently choose your three? How many hours a week about do you have for Arts? Is the gym free? Good night life? Is there any chance of getting weekend jobs around maynooth town?

Sorry if I've asked a bundle of pre answered questions :/ but thanks!
    See you all in a few weeks :)
    Heaps here! Ok!! Village Apartments are nice, pretty sure they are mixed but I didn't live on campus so hopefully someone else will answer this!
    History: You don't need to have done something to LC level in University. Just keep up with reading and lectures in all subjects and you won't have a problem. IF you do though, pop a message up here and someone will be able to do something for you! Never worry!
    Taster of Modules: Yes! You can attend every lecture in the first few weeks, so if you think you are mildly interested, go to the lectures and find out. They also have tester lectures during Orientation (more info on dates etc in your pack!) so pop along to those too!
    Hours: It varies a lot but around 20 max!
    Gym: Free!
    Good night life: Yes!
    Jobs: If you are lucky!! Some people are able to, some aren't! It's all about trying!

Hope this helps! You will get loads and loads of information during Orientation and don't be afraid to ask any of the guides about anything!! We are there to help and answer all of your questions!!

Welcome to Maynooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

uggggggghhh, my Mam wants me to commute to NUIM everyday so I can save my money for a Masters Degree. Looking forward a bit too much there Mam.

What's your student life really like if you were to commute? Honestly? I'm from Longford so if I had any 9.00am lectures I would be getting the 7.00am train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MegHerself

Hey :)
    Meg, 18, Wicklow!
    Arts: Geography, Anthropology and Psychology!

I got a place in the village apartments, are they any good?
    Also is anyone in orientation group 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 karengrace93

minhols wrote: »

Spanish! Woop! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

marko93 wrote: »
    Me too! :D

SWEEEEEEEEET :cool:

So far, CS Chemistry and Maths. Can't decide on the last one :( you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lucas14777

loser2k12 wrote: »
    Any other Biotech people out there? :((

I'm doing Biotech :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

kellief wrote: »
    WIDE AWAKE due to stupidity so I shall endeavour to answer some questions!!

You will have tours, meet all the staff in the college you will need to know over the next few years, have tours with the lovely, amazing fantastic students here (cough cough) and generally meet new people and have a great couple of days! Best advice is to go in with a positive attitude and a smile and you will have a brilliant orientation!

You will get one in the post in the next few days! Don't panic! :)

Heaps here! Ok!! Village Apartments are nice, pretty sure they are mixed but I didn't live on campus so hopefully someone else will answer this!
    History: You don't need to have done something to LC level in University. Just keep up with reading and lectures in all subjects and you won't have a problem. IF you do though, pop a message up here and someone will be able to do something for you! Never worry!
    Taster of Modules: Yes! You can attend every lecture in the first few weeks, so if you think you are mildly interested, go to the lectures and find out. They also have tester lectures during Orientation (more info on dates etc in your pack!) so pop along to those too!
    Hours: It varies a lot but around 20 max!
    Gym: Free!
    Good night life: Yes!
    Jobs: If you are lucky!! Some people are able to, some aren't! It's all about trying!

Hope this helps! You will get loads and loads of information during Orientation and don't be afraid to ask any of the guides about anything!! We are there to help and answer all of your questions!!

Welcome to Maynooth!

Nope alas seeing as Village was/is owned by the south campus its not mixed (well that's the reason we were told). River and Rye however have ladies and lads akimbo

• Registered Users Posts: 11 battalion93

Hey guys, seriously considering setting up a dodgeball team, who's with me? :D

Yeah :D any idea what modules your doing?[/Quote]
    So far, CS Chemistry and Maths. Can't decide on the last one :( you?[/Quote]

Well Maths(annoyingly) biology and chemistry, maybe CS coz physics just doesn't sound appealing to me at all :/

Cooooool! That sounds fun :L

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Aine4444

Yes please! :L
    Thanks Kellief for all your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Well Maths(annoyingly) biology and chemistry, maybe CS coz physics just doesn't sound appealing to me at all :/

I'm slightly dreading maths :eek: I only done OL for the LC :\ I'll definitely use the support centre!

I'm slightly dreading maths :eek: I only done OL for the LC :\ I'll definitely use the support centre![/Quote]

Slightly is an understatement :L me too and apparently it's suppose to be harder than HL Maths! Can't wait :( see ya there!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Slightly is an understatement :L me too and apparently it's suppose to be harder than HL Maths! Can't wait :( see ya there!

I said slightly just to comfort myself :pac:
    Bleugh.... It will be dreadful but I have heard the occasional story where some find themselves loving maths and keeping it on. I can't see it happening to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 olliej

Name: Olwyn.

Course: Arts. Studying Law, French and Economics.

Interests: Anything at all really. At the minute, my interests mainly lie in finding some sort of accommodation as I'm only on the waiting list for campus! :confused:

• Advertisement

Is ANYONE doin European Studies? I can't find anyone!

Advertisement