Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on my PS3

Options
  • 02-08-2012 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

I have a 40GB Playstation 3 which I bought in 2008. I've had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever, it's always worked perfectly. I've noticed how good PS Plus is and I'm going to upgrade the PS3 hard drive and subscribe. My question is, should I risk upgrading a machine that is nearly four years old and might be susceptible to the problems PS3 owners get that I have read about or should I trade it in and get a PS3 Slim? I'm looking to put a 1TB hard drive in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I have a 40GB Playstation 3 which I bought in 2008. I've had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever, it's always worked perfectly. I've noticed how good PS Plus is and I'm going to upgrade the PS3 hard drive and subscribe. My question is, should I risk upgrading a machine that is nearly four years old and might be susceptible to the problems PS3 owners get that I have read about or should I trade it in and get a PS3 Slim? I'm looking to put a 1TB hard drive in it.

If your serious about gaming get a new ps3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

If it's working fine, no need for a slim.
    Upgrade your HD and continue on as normal.
    Stuck Cone wrote: »

You don't need a new PS3 to be serious about gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

I meant if you game often it might be better to buy the newer and improved version instead of the older one, as the cost wouldnt be as prohibitive say if you were only a casual gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cheers for the replies. If something were to happen to my PS3 phat and I had a hard drive full of downloaded games, would I be able to get the downloaded games off?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

You'd need to get the PS3 working again and then back it up. You couldn't just take the HDD out and put it into your new machine.

All your games would be available to redownload from the PSN store though through your account history.

Honestly, I'd trade your PS3 in for a new one. I miss my old fat PS3 and think it was a much better looking machine than the new ones but they just can't be relied upon to last.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies. If something were to happen to my PS3 phat and I had a hard drive full of downloaded games, would I be able to get the downloaded games off?

As Beefy said, you can re-download your games from the store.

Since you're getting PS+, all your game saves will be there for you too as you can save the to the cloudy thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cool, I might stick with my phat so and throw in a 1TB hard drive. Any recommendations on a fast hard drive?

Cool, I might stick with my phat so and throw in a 1TB hard drive. Any recommendations on a fast hard drive?

Fast = heat, and that's not what you want.
    Stick with a 5400rpm model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Fairly sure the PS3 doesn't recognise drives that are upwards of 640Gb (i'm open to corrections though).

As already said, stick with a 5,400rpm drive as you'd be getting a negligible increase in drive performance for increased heat generation; an ageing Phat's strong point isn't heat dissipation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭pah

My launch day 60gb is ylod for a few months now, was saving to get it repaired and got a 250gb hdd for it cheap.

So €90 to get it fixed or go buy a new one or secondhand slim??

Have a few ps2 games but i suppose i still have my ps2 to fall back on for those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

pah wrote: »
    My launch day 60gb is ylod for a few months now, was saving to get it repaired and got a 250gb hdd for it cheap.

So €90 to get it fixed or go buy a new one or secondhand slim??

Have a few ps2 games but i suppose i still have my ps2 to fall back on for those.

Get a used slim ps3. If you really have an urge to play your old ps2 games, than by all means use your ps2.

Just my suggestion. Its a better investment than repairing a console that might present the same problems again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Stuck Cone wrote: »

So despite his own PS3 being fully functional & 100% problem free, your recommending him to buy a new console? Bizarre.

Slim PS3's are no strangers to the YLOD either.

Advertisement