Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB dongle?? help

Options
  • 02-08-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi fellas,

i need some assistance, i have a "registry pen drive" basically its a usb stick but the software wont work without it .........

its gone a bit dodgy...it might work 1 out of 50 times. i have contacted the supplier from where i acquired the software but they want an astronomical amount of money to send me a replacement pendrive.....

i assumed by copying all the files on to a blank usb that the new usb would substitute as the old usb "if ye get me"... butit wont !

is it possible to duplicate the old registry usb??

Thank in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Jacko123 wrote: »
    Hi fellas,

i need some assistance, i have a "registry pen drive" basically its a usb stick but the software wont work without it .........

its gone a bit dodgy...it might work 1 out of 50 times. i have contacted the supplier from where i acquired the software but they want an astronomical amount of money to send me a replacement pendrive.....

i assumed by copying all the files on to a blank usb that the new usb would substitute as the old usb "if ye get me"... butit wont !

is it possible to duplicate the old registry usb??

Thank in advance!

dd is your friend. Get someone who knows a bit of linux/Unix to make an image of it. Then copy the image onto another USB. Just be careful not to reverse the "in" and "out" files in the command
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_%28Unix%29
    There are probably windows utilities that you can download to do the same thing. I wouldn't know one off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jacko123

what do you mean by "dd is your friend"

sorry im not too familiar with this!!

thank for your reply! any help is very much appreciated!!

THANK YOU!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

What's a registry pen drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Torqay wrote: »
    What's a registry pen drive?
    Ditto, I'm a bit confused too.

If it's a typical protection dongle then there'll often be more to it than a simple USB memory stick so simply copying any contents to another USB drive won't work.

What I have seen in the past though is a simpler protection mechanism where software that is run from a USB memory stick or memory card is tied to the embedded serial number of the stick/card.

Unfortunately changing this serial number requires specialized software which isn't, with a few exceptions, generally available.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It sounds to me like a protection dongle as well alright, I very much doubt copying to another USB key will work, if the dongle has gone faulty then I would think the onus is on the software supplier to replace it free of charge regardless, as you still own the license to use the software and it is their problem you can't

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The only experience I've had with replacing dongles like this has been that the suppliers usually charge an arm and a leg for replacements. I'm not sure of the rationale behind this, but I assume it's to prevent people from fraudulently claiming they've 'lost' them and then reselling the new ones when they get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

Alun wrote: »
    The only experience I've had with replacing dongles like this has been that the suppliers usually charge an arm and a leg for replacements. I'm not sure of the rationale behind this, but I assume it's to prevent people from fraudulently claiming they've 'lost' them and then reselling the new ones when they get them.

Well surely they could ask for the broken one to be returned and then replace it or even repair it.
    But then again, if you returned a broken laptop/HDD/ and other peice of hardware outside of warranty, you must pay for it..
    Lost ones wold be a matter of trust? Customer trust?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sup08 wrote: »
    Well surely they could ask for the broken one to be returned and then replace it or even repair it.
    But then again, if you returned a broken laptop/HDD/ and other peice of hardware outside of warranty, you must pay for it..
    Lost ones wold be a matter of trust? Customer trust?

If you loose a serial number->Though. If a serial number stops activating the issuing company will help rectify the issue. As the company chose the dongle protection route, they should be liable if the customers one stops working. Sure the dongle probably remains the property of the company anyways so it would definitely be something I'd push them with rectifying

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

yoyo wrote: »
    I would think the onus is on the software supplier to replace it free of charge regardless, as you still own the license to use the software and it is their problem you can't Nick

Software is free... you pay for the dongle :D

Advertisement