Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fidelma Healy Eames' train ticket scandal

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Screen-Shot-2013-08-02-at-23.55.47.png

In 2011:
    Fidelma Healy Eames, has called for a rational debate on the impact of the overuse of games consoles. “It is increasingly clear to me that excessive use of gaming consoles such as the Xbox and Playstation is having an adverse effect on the health and social development of young people. At a crucial stage of their development, many young people are spending significant tracts of time gaming; time which could be spent on other things like exercise, their studies and spending time with family and friends." http://fidelmahealyeames.ie/2011/08/17/rational-debate-needed-on-the-impact-of-excessive-use-of-game-consoles-%E2%80%93-healy-eames/#sthash.50sObrSK.dpuf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

#hypocrite

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

An interesting graph illustrating parish pump style behaviour in the Seanad where Fidelma tops the league table for "in my constituency..." type statements.

The problem here being that her constituency is a non-geographical one which could at it's best be described as Rotten Borough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Graph page doesn't exist when click it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Works for me, it's just a twitter link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Yes is working now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

I cant believe i wasted 5 minutes of my life reading her twitter page....

Just on the transistor there, admitting she was in Santiago, Spain doing the camino in the past.
    Apparently there is a school exchange happening between an Oranmore school and a Santiago school.

is that a bad thing? Dont see anything wrong with that. Plenty of nice hotels along the way.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I know a girl who works in BTs and one day FHE came in trying on clothes and looked for a 50% discount claiming she would be "a great ambassador for the brand"

The girl said they don't do discounts and not even the staff get 50% to which she replied...... drum roll.... yes you've guessed it...

"do you know who I am?"

Entertaining story, but without any proof its just heresay and possibly libelous for boards.ie.

Not saying i dont believe you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

McTigs wrote: »
    I know a girl who works in BTs and one day FHE came in trying on clothes and looked for a 50% discount claiming she would be "a great ambassador for the brand"

The girl said they don't do discounts and not even the staff get 50% to which she replied...... drum roll.... yes you've guessed it...

"do you know who I am?"
    To be fair she is getting plenty of photo ops now she has piggy backed on Lucindas "crises of conscious" machine,(where was their conscious when they were snatching 24 hour a day carer allowances).
    When lush lips finally makes her push for leader on the back of her supposed crises I am sure FHE will be well rewarded with some tasty lucrative unelected post.

God looking at TV3 last night and seeing Michael Martin and Michael McDowell together again just wanted me to vote Yes without even hearing any debate,if the Yes side could just lump FHE in her BT gear with them they would be home and hosed.

Is she listening to her telephone in the Seanad?
    0007f088-642.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

snubbleste wrote: »
    0007f088-642.jpg

Translator, I'd say.
    FHE wouldn't be the best at understanding plain unfettered English.
    God knows she doesn't seem to understand "NO"
    And she's heard it often enough.

Jesus.I was going to vote No, but I'm actually going to vote Yes because of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Jesus.I was going to vote No, but I'm actually going to vote Yes because of her.

The unfortunate thing is that I am inclined to agree with you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

The unfortunate thing is that I am inclined to agree with you...
    Yep,and just think of Donie Cassidy with his toupee head stuck on Berties and Brians shoulder at every FF photo op,and don't forget Eoghan Harris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Fidelma is the reason Im taking time off work to vote to abolish the Senate, she is the epitome of the pigs at the trough gobbling up all they can off the backs of Irish people.

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

0007f088-642.jpg

...or is Fergal frapping her?

pjmn wrote: »
    ...or is Fergal frapping her?

Got a little sick in my mouth there.

Seriously though. Its the quality of people appointed to the Seanad, rather than the institution itself that has decided my vote.
    There'll never be a reform of its workings and we'll be stuck with the detritus of Irish politics while it exists, so it's better off being consigned to the history books.
    So well done Fidelma, you've enjoyed an embarrassment of a political career, topped off by helping to undermine and ultimately drive a stake through the heart of an entire house of the Oireachtas.
    Take a bow
    And then for the love of God, exit the stage.

Take a bow
    And then for the love of God, exit the stage.

Even then, she might try to pocket one of the props, as she's leaving... :pac:

• Advertisement

Thought she was one of the props.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Thought she was one of the props.

FHE is the very reason I'm voting to abolish the Seanad. Excluding the university nominations the chamber is rotten and full of FHEs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Patrickheg wrote: »
    FHE is the very reason I'm voting to abolish the Seanad. Excluding the university nominations the chamber is rotten and full of FHEs

Why would you exclude the university nominations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I didn't vote her in but today I'll vote her out.

Fidelma Healy Eames @senhealyeames
    What a result - this is the turning point. The beginning of the democratic Revolution. Thank you people of Ireland
    https://twitter.com/senhealyeames

:mad:

This woman makes me physically sick.
    She's hanging onto a quasi-political career by the skin of her teeth
    and this result only delays the inevitable.
    She'll scramble aboard any bandwagon to promote her own profile and
    her joining Lucinda Creightons "Reform Alliance" only weakens their credibility.
    I'm looking forward to the peoples voice being heard in the next election Fidelma runs in.
    Please God, she'll take heed of what's being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

Another tweet:
    "@senhealyeames:
    #seanadref First change next week is that every Oireachtas member must be appointed to an Oir. committee. #nomoresilencing #reform alliance"

How much extra allowances/expenses would one get for sitting on an Oireachtas Committee???

I'll admit the main reason I voted yes to senate abolition was to hopefully to get shut of the likes of FHE and Ronan Mullen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Like another poster said, she makes me feel sick.

It's all very well laughing at her gaffes and that tragic sham of a presentation about internet security but she is actually getting time in important discussions and the wages to match.

It's fcuking ridiculous.

She talks about a turning point for true democracy, from her UNELECTED Senate seat.

Why? Because when she ran in democratic elections, we didn't want her.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Please tell me Healy Eames will not be a Senator after the next General Election...how did she get elected anyway, was it one of Enda's picks?
    Like others, having this "politician" represent me makes me ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Please tell me Healy Eames will not be a Senator after the next General Election...how did she get elected anyway, was it one of Enda's picks?
    Like others, having this "politician" represent me makes me ill.

She was "picked" by Enda, She has tried 3(?) times to get in through local elections and failed each time. Then goes on to use the term "My constituents" when none of us bloody voted her into the senate.

• Advertisement

Hildegarde Naughton was appointed to the Senate recently so I think it is a fair bet to say FHE won't be reappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Not a chance FG will put her on the ticket at the next election or reappoint her to the senate due to her defying the party on the abortion issue and on other matters since then. She might run in the election as an independent but I can't see that being successful for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Mr_A wrote: »
    Not a chance FG will put her on the ticket at the next election or reappoint her to the senate due to her defying the party on the abortion issue and on other matters since then. She might run in the election as an independent but I can't see that being successful for her.

I'd say she is hoping for the lucinda Creighton revolution (The LCR)to gather momentum and try and get elected on the back of that....then the LCR will hangaround in opposition for a few years, go into coalition for a couple of years after that until their credability is eroded and then the LCR will be disbanded kinda like the PD's.
    At that stage she'll have earned enough money off us as a td and senator that she'll be able to happily able to retire from public life having contributed a great deal to society. If that doesn't work out she can always go back to educating the kids......i'm not sure which is a scarier scenario

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    I'd say she is hoping for the lucinda Creighton revolution (The LCR)to gather momentum and try and get elected on the back of that....then the LCR will hangaround in opposition for a few years, go into coalition for a couple of years after that until their credability is eroded and then the LCR will be disbanded kinda like the PD's.
    At that stage she'll have earned enough money off us as a td and senator that she'll be able to happily able to retire from public life having contributed a great deal to society. If that doesn't work out she can always go back to educating the kids......i'm not sure which is a scarier scenario
    Oh my God, do you think the RA could actually make an impact on government if it ever admits to being a real party?

I was happily taking it as a given that no-one in their right mind would vote for them but then I remembered that not everyone is in their right mind...

:eek:

FHE got 5,046 votes in the 2011 general election in GalwayWest, only 400 less than Brian Walsh. Unfortunately there is plenty of support out there for her

She's done a lot of damage to her reputation and credibility in those last two years, so I don't think that's a fair estimate anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

FHE got 5,046 votes in the 2011 general election in GalwayWest, only 400 less than Brian Walsh. Unfortunately there is plenty of support out there for her
    A lot of that was an anti-FF/anti-government vote though. I'd say if she gets half that the next time she'll be doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

From today's proceedings...
    Fidelma Healy Eames welcomes Sinead O'Connor's intervention to tackle the early sexualisation of girls by poor role models like Miley Cyrus

At least she's not jumping on any bandwagons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

She'll scramble aboard any bandwagon to promote her own profile
    So will any of them, each and every politician is a career hungry media whore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Galwaystar

Just to clarify... FHE was not appointed to the Seanad by Enda, she ran for Seanad elections on the Education Panel and was elected by Councillors. 43 senators are elected by the councillors, 6 by graduates of NUI and Trinity and only 11 are appointed by the Taoiseach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

serfboard wrote: »
    A lot of that was an anti-FF/anti-government vote though. I'd say if she gets half that the next time she'll be doing well.

I suppose the fact that she sent from 1,320 in 2002 to 3,904 in 2007 was anti government as well?

It's true that she made a bit of a show of herself with the recount, but consider this: if either Brian Walsh or Hildegarde Naughton weren't brought onto the ticket she'd probably have been elected at Noel Grealish's expense.

antoobrien wrote: »
    I suppose the fact that she sent from 1,320 in 2002 to 3,904 in 2007 was anti government as well?
    No - her increase of 2,500 can be explained by the fact that a) Dana (1700 votes in 2002) wasn't running and b) there were an extra five and half thousand voters in 2007.

Elections Ireland suggests she got 2.67% of the first preference votes in 2002, 7.09% in 2007 and 8.32% in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Elections Ireland suggests she got 2.67% of the first preference votes in 2002, 7.09% in 2007 and 8.32% in 2011.
    Makes one wonder about the merits of democracy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

She announced that she's standing as an independent in the next General Election, aligned with the Reform Alliance. This was announced at the Pro Life conference so I'd imagine there'll be some Dollars in the campaign coffers.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    She announced that she's standing as an independent in the next General Election, aligned with the Reform Alliance. This was announced at the Pro Life conference so I'd imagine there'll be some Dollars in the campaign coffers.
    Here's a link for that story.

Of course she's going to run as an Independent - she won't get the Fine Gael nomination the next time. As I said earlier, she's inherited Dana's mantle in Galway West, so expect lot's of Pro-Lifers to be campaigning for her.

However, they didn't manage to get Dana elected the last time, and I don't expect FHE to get elected the next time.

Since the box has been ticked regarding the Supreme Court judgement, the abortion issued is now closed, and there will be no political capital to be made from trying to open it.

I cannot wait until she canvasses me. I have time to plan some kind of interpretive dance.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I have time to plan some kind of interpretive dance.

And elaborate trap à la Home Alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

The Galway Advertiser
    Fine Gael have summoned Fidelma Healy Eames to a disciplinary hearing to take back her membership card and boot her out of the party for good. But she's not going without a fight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement