Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portiuncula Indulgence

• 02-08-2012 7:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭

A reminder that you can gain the Portiuncula Indulgence today!

The Indulgence:
    The Portiuncula indulgence is the first plenary indulgence that was ever granted in the Church. There were indeed indulgences at all times, but they were only partial, and only a partial remission of the temporal punishments could be obtained by them. But, as already remarked, he who gains the Portiuncula indulgence is freed from all temporal punishments and becomes as pure as after holy baptism. This was also the reason why Pope Honorius was astonished when St. Francis petitioned for the confirmation of this indulgence, for such an indulgence, up to that time, had been entirely unknown. It was only after he had come to the conviction that Jesus Christ himself wished it, that he granted the petition of the saint and confirmed the indulgence

August 2nd is the feast of Portiuncula. A plenary indulgence is available to anyone who will:

1. Receive sacramental confession within 20 days prior to or following the day the indulgence is sought)

2. Receive the Holy Eucharist at Holy Mass on August 2nd

3. Enter a parish church and, with a contrite heart, pray the Our Father, Apostles Creed, and a prayer of his/her own choosing for the intentions of the Pope.

http://www.st-annrcc.com/index.cfm?load=event&event=173

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Thanks for that info. Have you any idea why the hospital is called "Portiuncula"....maybe it had a connection with the Franciscans in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Mod Edit
    We have a Protestant/Catholic debate thread specifically so that threads like this one don't get derailed.
    Thanks for your co-operation!
    PDN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

yay!!!!! this is so cool:cool: You have no idea how happy I am to hear about this. I'll have to print this out and give it to my parents.

God bless
    Onesimus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭totus tuus

dewdrop wrote: »
    Thanks for that info. Have you any idea why the hospital is called "Portiuncula"....maybe it had a connection with the Franciscans in the past?

Yes it did! :)
    In 1945 Bishop Dignan introduced the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood to Ballinasloe, where they built Portiuncula Hospital, which has been enlarged many times since and is now a general hospital under the Western Health Board.

http://www.clonfertdiocese.ie/html/history.asp

Onesimus wrote: »
    yay!!!!! this is so cool:cool: You have no idea how happy I am to hear about this. I'll have to print this out and give it to my parents.

God bless
    Onesimus

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

I got my plenary today. How about you? :D

Praise be Jesus Christ and what a most unworthy blessing

Onesimus

Me too! Praise be Jesus! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

and me. thanks for the timely reminder:)

There is also a Plenary indulgence in the Pieta prayer book that can be obtained anytime. it is the prayer before a Crucifix ( on page 39 if my memory serves me right ) and can be obtained under the normal conditions that we recieve Holy communion free of Mortal sin ( as in going to confession beforehand ) and then say the prayer afterwards etc etc.

If anyone has any more plenary indulgences that can be obtained all year round I wanna hear about'em :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

a prayer of his/her own choosing for the intentions of the Pope.

...whats that mean, might I ask?

Some plenary indulgences.

Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament for ½ hour or more.

Recite the rosary (15 decades, or 5 decades without interruption and add devout meditation on the mysteries) in a church, oratory or recite in a family, religious community or pious association.

Read sacred scripture for at least ½ hour.

Devoutly make the Stations of the Cross.

Divine Mercy Sunday.

Devoutly receive the blessing imparted either by the pope to the City and the World or by one’s bishop under certain circumstances (included by radio or television).

http://plenary-indulgences.webs.com/

Nodin wrote: »
    ...whats that mean, might I ask?

The Vatican has released the prayer intentions of Pope Benedict XVI for August 2012. The Pope’s general intention is: "That prisoners may be treated with justice and respect for their human dignity.”

The Pope’s missionary intention is: "That young people, called to follow Christ, may be willing to proclaim and bear witness to the Gospel to the ends of the earth.”

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=15104

I noticed that it said one of the conditions is to recieve confession at least 7 days prior or after the day of the indulgence sought. Does this mean that going to confession on the actual day the indulgence is sought makes the indulgence not...work somehow? If so then I might be packing my bags again and heading down the corridor towards purgatory :eek::D because I went to confession prior to Mass today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

totus tuus wrote: »
    The Vatican has released the prayer intentions of Pope Benedict XVI for August 2012. The Pope’s general intention is: "That prisoners may be treated with justice and respect for their human dignity.”

The Pope’s missionary intention is: "That young people, called to follow Christ, may be willing to proclaim and bear witness to the Gospel to the ends of the earth.”

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=15104

Ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Onesimus wrote: »
    I noticed that it said one of the conditions is to recieve confession at least 7 days prior or after the day of the indulgence sought. Does this mean that going to confession on the actual day the indulgence is sought makes the indulgence not...work somehow? If so then I might be packing my bags again and heading down the corridor towards purgatory :eek::D because I went to confession prior to Mass today.

no, that includes the day of the indulgence,:), and one confession can cover several indulgences.
    You can get a plenary indulgence every day, here is alink with a great big list.

http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/indulge/

you can get many partial indulgences every day, and many usua;l prayers like blessing yourself with holy water, grace bewfore and after meals etc are indulgenced. (i like the nice prayers for entering or leavinga house)

it is a good practice at the beginning of the day with the morning offering to ask to receive all the indulgences you can today.

some indulgences can only vbe offered for the hoyl souks, others can be applied to oneself.

bonniebede wrote: »
    some indulgences can only vbe offered for the hoyl souks, others can be applied to oneself.

I offered up yesterday's indulgence for my dad (R.I.P.) and the Holy Souls!

Advertisement