Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

racist judge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

ruthloss wrote: »
    I don't know what part of the country you live in., I never heard any anti-Polish racism around here, or anywhere for that matter.

Jesus, do you walk around with your fingers plugged in your ears all day? I'm in Dublin and hear it all the time. It's not necessarily "all Poles are lazy layabouts" etc, but just conversational stuff about them all being builders/plumbers taking all our jobs in the good times etc. It's very casual racism, but it's still racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

While the majority of Eastern Europeans on the dole are Polish,there are a lot of Latvian,Hungarian,Slovakian who claim the dole here.
    Unfair to just target one race just because they are in the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

allibastor wrote: »
    you should head down to limerick then, it goes on major down there. I suppose it doesn't help though that they keep to themselves a lot and do tend to be bigger guys.

'They' also ted to be good looking!!:rolley

:
    ^tend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's pretty important to make a big deal out of off-the-cuff jokes about minorities, even jokes as innocuous as this. It's very easy for fallacies like "Polish people are stealing money from the state" to become accepted thought which is always dangerous. I'm surprised that some Irish people - lest we forget that we were subject to this shít in any country we went to - are so happy to go along with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Jesus, do you walk around with your fingers plugged in your ears all day? I'm in Dublin and hear it all the time. It's not necessarily "all Poles are lazy layabouts" etc, but just conversational stuff about them all being builders/plumbers taking all our jobs in the good times etc. It's very casual racism, but it's still racism.

I remember listening to a junkie with 10+ kids in the care system and many years in the joy banging on about the foreigners coming in here, taking our jobs, etc. Yeah mate, because you'd be a real go-getting contributor to society but for these foreigners...

Useless scum will blame anyone but themselves for their life being sh1te. Par for the course, but we expect a bit more cop-on from the judiciary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Maybe she remembers this
    DURING the volcanic-ash crisis that shut the country's airports the number of people who signed on the dole fell by more than 3,500, sparking suspicions that 'welfare tourists' are coming back to Ireland on cheap flights to claim benefits.

Now officials at the Department of Social Protection are to investigate those who did not sign on during the ash-cloud drama amid suspicions that foreign workers who lost their jobs and went home are still returning to claim millions in benefits.

The Department's own official figures show that during the week of April 18, 151,060 people were expected to sign on to the live register, but 3,515 people failed to show.

The spokeswoman said the week of the ash-cloud crisis did show an increased number of absentees.

Under EU regulations someone claiming the dole in Ireland for at least four weeks can transfer their payment to another EU state for a maximum of 13 weeks so they can look for work abroad.

According to last year's figures the highest number of applications for the transfer of dole payments is to Poland -- where 4,135 people asked for their benefits to be transferred at a cost of nearly €11m to the Irish taxpayer,.

The figure was more than 70 per cent of all applications to have dole transferred aboard and more than 10 times the number of the second country on the list, Slovakia with, 406.

The UK was third with 293, followed by the Czech Republic with 166.

The total cost to the Irish taxpayer was €15.6m.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ash-cloud-crisis-exposes-welfare-tourists-2245558.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

The judge should have kept her thoughts to herself and I don't think she should get away with it if others are prosecuted for such comments. However, I don't think people should be prosecuted for such comments, it is a matter of personal opinion. I believe that people who move to a different country and spend 3+ years on social welfare without making any or little effort to find a job should be sent back home, regardless of where they are from. Unfortunately we're stuck with the Irish people who have been on the dole for years on end and have no interest in looking for a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

It's pretty important to make a big deal out of off-the-cuff jokes about minorities, even jokes as innocuous as this. It's very easy for fallacies like "Polish people are stealing money from the state" to become accepted thought which is always dangerous. I'm surprised that some Irish people - lest we forget that we were subject to this shít in any country we went to - are so happy to go along with it all.

What people don't get is that the majority of eastern Europeans collecting dole can do so because they PAID IN to the system for years, just like you or me. They're entitled to it if they find themselves unemployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

allibastor wrote: »
    you should head down to limerick then, it goes on major down there. I suppose it doesn't help though that they keep to themselves a lot and do tend to be bigger guys.

they keep to themselves a lot cos to go out in ireland costs a fortune and irish peopel still throw their money around. why get ripped off in a pub when you can have a house party?

• Advertisement

Medusa22 wrote: »
    The judge should have kept her thoughts to herself and I don't think she should get away with it if others are prosecuted for such comments. However, I don't think people should be prosecuted for such comments, it is a matter of personal opinion. I believe that people who move to a different country and spend 3+ years on social welfare without making any or little effort to find a job should be sent back home, regardless of where they are from. Unfortunately we're stuck with the Irish people who have been on the dole for years on end and have no interest in looking for a job.

can you come to Ireland, not work a day and just get welfare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Maybe she remembers this

Amazingly you somehow accidentally deleted this bit of the quoted article, apart of course from the line that serves your 'point'.
    "With this figure of 3,515 there is a certain number of people every signing day that do not show up because they forget to attend," said a department spokesperson.

"They may be unwell, they may have taken up employment or a holiday, so that 3,515 would include those people as well.

"A certain number of those 3,515 would also have come back on later in the week and their payment continued as normal."

But the spokeswoman said the week of the ash-cloud crisis did show an increased number of absentees.

"It's increased on other weeks but it's not huge," she said.

Maybe she remembers this

is it her job to give her ill informed personal opinions on Poles? maybe she should become a stand comic on foreigners in this country.there are a lot of different poles HERE. just like not all paddies dig the roads of London.

if I wanted to listen ill informed opinions from people out of touch I would listen to joe duffy or greybo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

The comments under that article in the Independent are a sad indictment of the state of this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Maybe she remembers this

What a load of bollocks.

Generalisation central. Of course there are the bad in every walk of life. Are you saying because of "welfare tourism" that this bigot of a judge is good to go with her ignorant remarks?

Amazingly you somehow accidentally deleted this bit of the quoted article, apart of course from the line that serves your 'point'.

We are not allowed quote full articles anymore

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Fuinseog wrote: »

As far as I'm aware I think you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Maybe she remembers this
    volcanic ash/welfare urban myth
    That's a nonsense story cooked up by someone at the Independent who doesn't understand figures. The actual figures that failed to sign on that week did not differ from other similar weeks: http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2010-06-17.1052.0

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

We are not allowed quote full articles anymore

So you just happened to remove the bit where the Department Official says that the 3,515 includes all people who should normally have signed on, that some would do so later in the week, and that the number not signing on during the ash cloud was increased, but only slightly? Good concern for copyright.

stats, stats, stats

If I wanted to hide something I wouldn't have given the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

only if you are refugee or somebody similar. If you arrived from EU you need to contribute 102 weekly prsi payments before you can apply for any benefit.

but people - don't blame immigrants for taking benefits. Its not us (immigrants) who pay out these money. Start blaming Irish citiziens (read authorities, government, etc) for setting up these rules.
    In my personal opinion SW is to generous for bot Irish and non Irish, but as long as law won't change there is no reason to blame people who take benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Maybe she remembers this

If the number is really as low as 3,500 claiming the dole from other countries then it's a lot lower than I expected judging by the amount of times it is cited as a contributory factor in our recession. That works out at less than €50m per annum. Far bigger problem s in this country.

stats, stats, stats

If I wanted to hide something I wouldn't have given the link

OK so what you quoted is proof when you use it, but when someone else fills in the rest of the article it's 'stats, stats, stats'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

its not their job to make bernard manning humouristic remarks. these days only a judge would get away with saying something like that. what about the incitement to racial hatred act?

That wasnt incitement to hatred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Delighted to hear on the news just now that the Immigration Council of Ireland are making an official complaint to Gardai about this today. They called her remarks bigoted and borderline racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Delighted to hear on the news just now that the Immigration Council of Ireland are making an official complaint to Gardai about this today. They called her remarks bigoted and borderline racist.

Jasus if you looked at a foreigner the wrong way, that crowd will make an official complaint.
    i suppose they have to justify their existence somehow.

Jasus if you looked at a foreigner the wrong way, that crowd will make an official complaint.
    i suppose they have to justify their existence somehow.

So you don't think a complaint is justified? Should a judge be able to say that kind of thing?

So you don't think a complaint is justified? Should a judge be able to say that kind of thing?

she's talking sense but the PC crowd don't like it.
    she's only saying what most ordinary people know to be the case.
    take a walk down to your local Post Office any signing-on day, and you'll be lucky to hear an Irish accent.

take a walk down to your local Post Office any signing-on day, and you'll be lucky to hear an Irish accent.

Ha, good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    only if you are refugee or somebody similar. If you arrived from EU you need to contribute 102 weekly prsi payments before you can apply for any benefit.

That's to qualify for Jobseekers Benefit.

To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must:
    Be unemployed
    Be over 18 and under 66 years of age
    Be capable of work
    Be available for and genuinely seeking work
    Satisfy the means test
    Meet the Habitual Residence Condition

Number of Unemployed:
    According to the CSO the rate of unemployment among non Irish people in 2011 was 22 percent compared with a rate of 18.5 percent among Irish people.
    Nigerians had the highest unemployment rate amongst non nationals at 39 per cent while nationals from the Nordic countries had the lowest rates.
    Among Eastern European nationals Lithuanian had an unemployment rate of 24 percent while the rate for Polish nationals was slightly lower at 21 percent.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011profile3/Profile3_at_work_entire_doc.pdf

Previous comments made by the Judge:
    This is not the first time Judge Devins has made crude comments against Polish people in Ireland. Questioning a Polish man in 2010 about how long he had been in the country, Judge Devins commented on the need for an interpreter. “So you have been in this country for seven years and you haven’t learned at least one of our languages. Why, when the country is on its knees do we have to pay for a Polish interpreter?”

PS- Google her name and see what pops up. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chances are the judge is immune from prosecution because the remarks were made in the courtroom while procedings were ongoing.

I'm not sure what exactly the story is about it, but I know that in certain contexts, anything said in a courtroom is immune from prosecution, in order to allow witnesses and the like to speak openly without fear.

It may not apply in this case though and may only apply to civil prosecutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Some load of ****e posted in this thread about racism.

Ha, good one.

i'm not saying there are no Irish singing-on. of course there are, and many of them are scammers too.

but youl'd be hard pressed to hear them above all the foreign accents.

i asked the girl behind the counter was that day a special/designated day for foreigners to sign-on? she looked at me like i was mad and said no it was like this all the time.

sorry if the truth doesn't go down too well.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Medusa22 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware I think you can.

You need two years of stamps to claim JSB. For JSA you need to prove that Ireland is your primary residence for years also, which is hard to do right off the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Nothing to do with the so-called 'PC crowd', which by the way in most cases is just a phrase used to justify racism and discrimination. She's not talking sense either, she said that the Social Welfare system solely benefits Polish people, which is both incredibly offensive, racist and above all inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

so foreigners who lost their jobs here or are between jobs have right to job seekers allowance?

but youl'd be hard pressed to hear them above all the foreign accents.

i asked the girl behind the counter was that day a special/designated day for foreigners to sign-on? she looked at me like i was mad and said no it was like this all the time.

sorry if the truth doesn't go down too well.:(

The Polish rate of unemployment is 21%(cso figures) compared to the Irish rate of 18.5%. That's a difference of 2.5%. Hardly earth shattering.

Anyway, we passed the Nice treaty(eventually!) so we cant really complain about accession state citizens relocating to Ireland. The majority of Irish people signed up for it, so we don't have much grounds to complain. Ideally, all EU member states would have opened up their labour markets to accession states citizens from the get go. Then Ireland and the UK wouldn't have received so many, all at once. But, there we go.

MAYO ADVERTISER, NOVEMBER 18, 2011.
    A woman who under the influence of alcohol and antibiotics, whacked a garda around the head as he tried to arrest another person, was convicted of assault at this week’s sitting of Castlebar District Court.

On October 31 2010 at 2.15am, Garda John Melia, who was in the process of arresting a person outside the TF, Castlebar was hit across the head by Magdalena Ospinska, 81 The Curragh, Castlebar.

The defendant, who was very intoxicated, did not have any connection with the person being arrested.

The Polish mother of one, who works in the hospital as a cleaner, does not remember the incident as she was on antibiotics and had also consumed alcohol.

Judge Mary Devins said, “To assault a member of An Garda Síochána is extremely serious”. The judge convicted and fined Ospinska €200 and sentenced her to three months in prison, suspended for 12 months.

• Advertisement

IrishAm wrote: »
    The Polish rate of unemployment is 21%(cso figures) compared to the Irish rate of 18.5%. That's a difference of 2.5%. Hardly earth shattering.

Do you know how these stats are constructed? Interested to know what is considered general population for the purpose of this calculation. Like with stats saying that immigrant have more babies; but if you take into account that immigrants are far more likely to be of child-bearing age, they may actually have fewer babies than Irish parents of child-bearing age (but still more babies than the general populace, which includes youngsters, pensioners etc).

she seems to like speeding

In 2009, Judge Devins banned a Mayo farmer from driving for one year, calling him "arrogant" for failing to pull over for traffic. "You don’t have the right to force other people to drive at 15mph," she said.

* In February, she hit out at slow drivers in the case of a man who crashed into a car as he was overtaking it and two others. "Exceptionally slow drivers" can cause as many accidents as fast drivers, she said.

* Also this year, in the case of a man accused of undertaking three cars, she told the court she couldn’t understand how some cars drive at only 40mph when it "is the best road in the county".

[

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011profile3/Profile3_at_work_entire_doc.pdf

Previous comments made by the Judge:

PS- Google her name and see what pops up. ;)[/QUOTE]

she truly is ignorant. a lot of these judges mumble away to themselves and are hard to understand. I speak other languages fluently but if its a case of every single word being important I would engage an interpreter.
    she would need one herself if the defendant wanted to speak Irish.

mhge wrote: »
    Do you know how these stats are constructed? Interested to know what is considered general population for the purpose of this calculation.

For your perusal ; http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011profile3/Profile3_at_work_entire_doc.pdf

Magdalena Ospinska gets fined 200 euro for assaulting a garda
    Enda Moylette gets fined 1000 euro for this case

And the thread title reckons she is racist?

Ms Ospinska got off easy

Ms Ospinska got off easy

It was a different judge who decided he should make a contribution to a Polish charity. The case was returned to Judge Devins later, when she made the comment and ruled for the donation to be made towards a local charity.
    She also gave the woman a suspended prison sentence on top of the fine.

• Advertisement

mhge wrote: »
    She also gave the woman a suspended prison sentence on top of the fine.

She hit a cop. Raise your fists to a cop in most other countries and you get put in a body bag. Not a suspended sentence and a small fine.

i know what i see on a daily basis.

i hear on the 1 o'clock news the Irish-Polish community representatives have accepted her apology, but the PC shower will not. some of those fools are just waiting to be offended.

this thread is going nowhere, so i'm out.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Ms Ospinska got off easy

Ospinska got off lightly but does have a conviction against her name.

Moylette was told to pay an amount to charity so that he does not get a conviction against his name.

Not sure what exactly your point is really. If Ospinska was offered the chance to pay money instead of getting a conviction like Moylette was, then you could compare the two but she rightly wasn't. Once again, you seem to be cherry picking what facts you want to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

it depends on the context it was said in....and that has not been reported.....

Yes it has.
    She just said what a lot of people around the country are thinking. Big deal...

Judges aren't supposed to be echo chambers of the stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Maybe she remembers this

Maybe you don't remember how thats been debunked countless times in this forum.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement