Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

racist judge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Stop being silly and accept you made an error- you obviously erroneously imagined that Immigrants could get Jobseekers allowance without making tax contributions hence your reference to and distinction between jobseekers allowance and benefit .

I didn't make an error and I suggest you look up the difference between Jobseekers Allowance and Jobseekers Benefit.

Fuck it, I shall do it for you.
    To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must:

Be unemployed
    Be over 18 and under 66 years of age
    Be capable of work
    Be available for and genuinely seeking work
    Satisfy the means test
    Meet the Habitual Residence Condition

No mention of PRSI payments there, bud.
    To qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit you must:

Be unemployed (you must be fully unemployed or unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6)
    Be under 66 years of age
    Have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions
    Be capable of work
    Be available for and genuinely seeking work
    Have had a substantial loss of employment and as a result be unemployed for at least 3 days out of 6.

Which proves that this in incorrect....
    only if you are refugee or somebody similar. If you arrived from EU you need to contribute 102 weekly prsi payments before you can apply for any benefit.

Hence the reason I brought it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

IrishAm wrote: »
    I didn't make an error and I suggest you look up the difference between Jobseekers Allowance and Jobseekers Benefit.

Fuck it, I shall do it for you.

No mention of PRSI payments there, bud.

Which proves that this in incorrect....

Hence the reason I brought it up.

Bull..ks!

1. Stop being equivocal- what did you mean when you asked for proof??

This what you posted!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80044119&postcount=138

2.Please stop being disingenious:

The Poster said that immigrants from the EU must have made a certain level of tax contribution (PRSI) to qualify for social welfare to which you responded by saying that was for Jobseekers Benefits and you provided information about Jobseekers Allowance that did not include any form of tax contributions.

Again I would add the post for your "perusal"....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80035329&postcount=81

You were negating the posters position by implying that EU immigrants could avail of social welfare without tax contributions and obviously you have since realised how wrong you were- forget face saving and just acknowledge the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Not to get too far from the point but :
    A 30 something man was let out on bail last week or so with 97 previous convictions ; he subsequently shot & murdered someone.
    Another looser with a similar life history of crime was let out last Friday & went straight down tk the local spar shop & ("allegedly") stabbed a shopworker in the brain with a syringe filled with blood he said was AIDS infected.

Where is the boardsie moral outrage about these ? The judge f*'d up, & apologised twice. Now the PC brigade are justifying their cushy jobs filing criminal reports.
    Pity we as a nation don't sort out and prioritise real crimes & have the balls to have tough speaking judges who will convict & hammer the scumbags that are ruining our country .

The last thing I want is a timid Scared judiciary. Bring back flogging etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Not to get too far from the point but :
    A 30 something man was let out on bail last week or so with 97 previous convictions ; he subsequently shot & murdered someone.
    Another looser with a similar life history of crime was let out last Friday & went straight down tk the local spar shop & ("allegedly") stabbed a shopworker in the brain with a syringe filled with blood he said was AIDS infected.

Where is the boardsie moral outrage about these ? ..........

You know there's a "search" function....?

Jobseekers Allowance is not a PRSI based payment. It is paid out to all, once they meet the requirements(requirements which I have posted three times now). Mainly, the requirement to prove that you are looking for work and that you are habitually resident in Ireland.

This may come to a shock to you, but not everyone on welfare has made 104 PRSI payments before receiving JA payment. Irish and foreign born.

You can keep claiming that I am wrong all you want. It doesn't make it true.

• Advertisement

Jobseekers Allowance is not a PRSI based payment. It is paid out to all, once they meet the requirements(requirements which I have posted three times now). Mainly, the requirement to prove that you are looking for work and that you are habitually resident in Ireland.

This may come to a shock to you, but not everyone on welfare has made 104 PRSI payments before receiving JA payment. Irish and foreign born.

And why did you bring that up, exactly? The fact that they have to satisfy a residency requirement means they can't just arrive and claim. Its unlikely they survived for two to whatever years on thin air....

Nodin wrote: »
    And why did you bring that up, exactly? The fact that they have to satisfy a residency requirement means they can't just arrive and claim. Its unlikely they survived for two to whatever years on thin air....

Bollix to this. I am out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Emergency payment applicAtions: standard workaround.

You are getting sharper gradually. That is what the Habitual residence condition is there for! You can only get Jobseekers allowance if you are from the common travel area and have resided there for the required minimum amount of time.

I am not claiming you were wrong, I am saying you were trying to make an erroneous point which unfortunately backfired.

You refused to address this though:

Just so we can know who the liar is....

Emergency payment applicAtions: standard workaround.

.....I'd suggest that you learn a bit more about the whole "urgent needs" thing.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/exceptional_needs_payments.html

• Advertisement

You are getting sharper gradually. That is what the Habitual residence condition is there for! You can only get Jobseekers allowance if you are from the common travel area and have resided there for the required minimum amount of time.

I am not claiming you were wrong, I am saying you were trying to make an erroneous point which unfortunately backfired.

You refused to address this though:

Just so we can know who the liar is....

Ok. One last time.

Ive posted the requirements for both Jobseekers Allowance and Jobseekers Benefit.

We now know that if one has made 104 PRSI payments, one qualifies for JB. If one is habitually resident and is actively looking for work, one qualifies for JA.

We good? No problems so far?

You claim that only Irish and British citizens(Common Travel Area) receive JA.

So, I asked you to back that up.

Are we on the same wavelength? If not, I suggest you contact your ISP provider.

+1 or even for better clarification with regards to EU immigrants:

P.S. I would implore folks to pay attention to the last paragragh so...

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW108/Pages/8WhataremyoptionsifIdonotsatisfytheHabitualResidenceCondition.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Reception and Integration Agency (RIA)

In Ireland we have a quango for every situation

Ok. One last time.

Ive posted the requirements for both Jobseekers Allowance and Jobseekers Benefit.

We now know that if one has made 104 PRSI payments, one qualifies for JB. If one is habitually resident and is actively looking for work, one qualifies for JA.

We good? No problems so far?

You claim that only Irish and British citizens(Common Travel Area) receive JA.

So, I asked you to back that up.

Are we on the same wavelength? If not, I suggest you contact your ISP provider.

Never said that.

I responded to your post that implied that EU immigrants can get Jobseekers allowance if they have not made tax tax contributions. I pointed out the fact that they had to satisfy the Habitual residence condition and you asked for proof which I provided.

Since then, you have gone on a tangent, refuted things you said and basically making a show of yourself.

Never said that.

I pointed out the fact that they had to satisfy the Habitual residence condition and you asked for proof which I provided.

You are a liar. Retract your lies. This is what you posted.

And as you well know, no other nationality can satisfy the habitual residence condition apart from British citizens.

You claimed only British and Irish citizens can satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition. Its there in black and white.

I don't know why you are lying. I understand you may be an immigrant into Ireland and this may be an emotive subject for you to discuss. But there is no need for lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Oh come on IrishAM. Admit your mistake. Instead you just keep on denying & denying & denying & announcing that you're out when something becomes irrefutable.

Earlier you were claiming that Irish people were less likely to be unemployed than others, but when shown that non Irish EU citizens have a marginally lower unemployment rate than the Irish, you went rather quiet.

You're bullshitting your way through this thread, with no recourse to factual evidence whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Some read of events

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0803/1224321372629.html

She has a valid point in the contents of the below article yes?(isolate todays controversial stuff)

Judge in Polish row queried cost of interpreters to State
    IT wrote:
    JUDGE MARY Devins, who apologised for a second time yesterday for remarks she made last week about Polish migrants, questioned in 2010 why the State had to pay for interpreters for Polish defendants when “the country was on its knees”.

Judge Devins yesterday issued an “unreserved” second apology after a public backlash over her remarks in court last Friday suggesting social welfare was a Polish charity.

In September 2010, at Claremorris District Court, Judge Devins made comments about the use of interpreters by Polish migrants. The judge was dealing with two Polish men – both of whom used interpreters – on a number of driving offences. She asked one of the men directly, without the use of the interpreter, how long he had been in the State. He said he had been in Ireland for seven years.

“So you have been in this country for seven years and you haven’t learned at least one of our languages,” Judge Devin said in a case reported in the Mayo News at the time. “Why, when the country is on its knees, do we have to pay for a Polish interpreter?” she asked.

later12 wrote: »
    Oh come on IrishAM. Admit your mistake. Instead you just keep on denying & denying & denying & announcing that you're out when something becomes irrefutable.

Point out my mistake.
    Earlier you were claiming that Irish people were less likely to be unemployed than others, but when shown that non Irish EU citizens have a marginally lower unemployment rate than the Irish, you went rather quiet.

Of course there are more Irish people unemployed than non Irish people. The country is predominantly Irish. But on a per capita basis, the rate of unemployment among non Irish people in 2011 was 22 percent compared with a rate of 18.5 percent among Irish people.
    You're bullshitting your way through this thread, with no recourse to factual evidence whatever.

Really yeah?

Take it up with the CSO.
    The rate of unemployment among non Irish people in 2011 was 22 percent compared with a rate of 18.5 percent among Irish people.
    Nigerians had the highest unemployment rate amongst non nationals at 39 per cent while nationals from the Nordic countries had the lowest rates.
    Among Eastern European nationals Lithuanian had an unemployment rate of 24 percent while the rate for Polish nationals was slightly lower at 21 percent.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011profile3/Profile3_at_work_entire_doc.pdf

Starts at page 14.

gurramok wrote: »
    Some read of events

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0803/1224321372629.html

She has a valid point in the contents of the below article yes?(isolate todays controversial stuff)

Judge in Polish row queried cost of interpreters to State

I don't think she has. I speak conversational Irish. But I wouldn't be too happy to rest my liberty on my grasp of the Irish language, so, I would prefer if court proceedings were in my native tongue, which, unfortunately, is English.

I suspect it is the same for the Polish in Irish courts.

In saying that, court interpreters fees should be means tested in the same way legal aid is. If the accused can afford it, it should come out of his or her own pocket. Not the states.

• Advertisement

Of course there are more Irish people unemployed than non Irish people. The country is predominantly Irish. But on a per capita basis, the rate of unemployment among non Irish people in 2011 was 22 percent compared with a rate of 18.5 percent among Irish people.
    No, I provided you with updated information from Q1 2012 earlier in the thread. I assume you read this?

Unemployment for Irish citizens was 14.2%; for non Irish citizens from the other EU member states, it was 14.1%.

http://cso.ie/en/qnhs/releasesandpublications/qnhs-calendarquarters/

Origin|Unemployment rate
    Irish total|14.2%
    Non Irish total|18.4%
    *of which UK|23.45%
    *of which EU 15|9.73%
    *of which EU27 (excl Ireland & UK)|14.1%

No, I provided you with updated information from Q1 2012 earlier in the thread. I assume you read this?

Unemployment for Irish citizens was 14.2%; for non Irish citizens from the other EU member states, it was 14.1%.

http://cso.ie/en/qnhs/releasesandpublications/qnhs-calendarquarters/

Origin|Unemployment rate
    Irish total|14.2%
    Non Irish total|18.4%
    *of which UK|23.45%
    *of which EU 15|9.73%
    *of which EU27 (excl Ireland & UK)|14.1%

What page am I looking for in the document?

You do realise the stats I am using had only been realised during the week, right?

What page am I looking for in the document?

You do realise the stats I am using had only been realised during the week, right?
    Musha. To clarify: you are using 2011 data, I am using data from 2012.

Try Page 25 here; there is a wealth of evidence in terms of QNHS data.
    http://cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/labourmarket/2012/qnhs_q12012.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

What she said is right. I was the only Irish person in the post office the other day. I buying a few stamps, and all the others were collecting their dole. Why should i pay to keep these people ?

MJ23 wrote: »
    What she said is right. I was the only Irish person in the post office the other day. I buying a few stamps, and all the others were collecting their dole. Why should i pay to keep these people ?

I'm sure you were.

Firstly, its already been shown that - according to official statistics - shes wrong.

Secondly, those people paid in to the system when they were earning and are thus entitled to whatever they're getting.

Try Page 25 here; there is a wealth of evidence in terms of QNHS data.
    http://cso.ie/en/media/csoie/release...nhs_q12012.pdf

Cool. Thanks for that. I will have a gander at the document and try and extrapolate the differentiation between the figures both of us have provided.

I will be offside for a few days after tonight, but I will get back to you. After I have had an opportunity to digest the figures.

I'm sure you were.

Firstly, its already been shown that - according to official statistics - shes wrong.

Secondly, those people paid in to the system when they were earning and are thus entitled to whatever they're getting.

One in five. So, yeah. She is wrong.

Anyway, would you not be in favour of us adopting a more continental approach to welfare? Specifically a Spanish or French approach.

Much fairer in my opinion, in that its not one blanket payment for all. People really do get out what they put in.

Our system is a pox and it is not very transparent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

This judge's credibility is gone as far as i'm concerned. Should be encouraged to step down immediately. You can't say those things and expect there not to be repercussions. She has shown herself to be prejudicial and no amount of apologising will remove that.

MJ23 wrote: »

How do you know if someone in your Post Office is collecting their dole or taking money out of their post office savings, or paying a bill, or sending a letter, or wiring the few quid, or.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pochedereves

I don't now what she is apologizing for, she only said what every hard-working tax-paying Irish person is thinking. The cheek of what some of those people do (I'm not saying all). I've heard of people who are claiming for their children here and back in Poland, they should be ashamed. Do you think we'd get away with that over there? Not a chance. The government need to take care of their own before they start trying to save the rest of the world. This judge shouldn't need to apologize. Go back home if you don't like how things are run here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I don't now what she is apologizing for, she only said what every hard-working tax-paying Irish person is thinking. The cheek of what some of those people do (I'm not saying all). I've heard of people who are claiming for their children here and back in Poland, they should be ashamed. Do you think we'd get away with that over there? Not a chance. The government need to take care of their own before they start trying to save the rest of the world. This judge shouldn't need to apologize. Go back home if you don't like how things are run here.
    Excuse moi, but you don't speak for me! I'm a hard working tax paying Irish person, but I don't subscribe to racist prejudice.

It was wrong what she said. The majority of Polish people are not screwing the state - even if you want to believe the contrary. There are many more Irish who are scamming the system, yet I rarely hear anyone scream blue murder at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I don't like the fact that a Judge is making these comments. Should I go back home? I don't mind tbh, I'm in work at the moment, about 30 mins from where I was born in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Where is the boardsie moral outrage about these ? The judge f*'d up, & apologised twice. Now the PC brigade are justifying their cushy jobs filing criminal reports.
    Pity we as a nation don't sort out and prioritise real crimes & have the balls to have tough speaking judges who will convict & hammer the scumbags that are ruining our country .

The last thing I want is a timid Scared judiciary.
    Bring back flogging etc.

Jesus I didn't realise that guy in Spar was stabbed in that area. Fúckin hell, hope he will be ok.

Of course the judge should be able to speak out about things. They can generalise as much as they want about syringe wielding scumbags, but when it comes to bigotry and generalisations about this type of thing, she most definately should not be allowed.

How is a Polish person expected to get a fair judgement, knowing her bigoted views? She is a ridiculous excuse for a judge.

She didn't speak for me.

What about the Polish person that is here, settled with a family, and runs in to unemployment. They should be able to claim like the rest of us, no?

There are plenty of nationalities claiming in the wrong, to tar everyone with the one brush isn't something that should be happening in 2012 coming from a so called judge. I'd bet there are a massive amount more Irish claiming when they shouldn't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

No need for the judge to apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It's a pity her husband's party, the effeners, are not still in power. Otherwise the problem of this loose judicial cannon could have been solved by getting her a new job, such as ambassador to somewhere.;);)

Maybe Poland?:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

ebbsy wrote: »

Why's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

ebbsy wrote: »

Correct and right.

An apology will not mean anything only that she is afraid of losing her job.

Nothing short of being removed from her position will suffice.

We need our judges to be fair and unbiased.

We need our judges to give only measured comments when at work.

I wouldn't remove her from her position for this. It would be incredibly harsh based on a single error. An apology should be sufficient in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ak40se7en

its not aimed at polish people, its aimed at the system, ffs!!! she only said what everyone is thinking.... shes dead right !! we need more people like her in power and make decisions now more than ever, when the country is on its knees!! all these P C plebs jumping on the bandwagon, sticking their nose in arent living in the real world at all...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Has Enda Kenny made a comment on this yet. He usually always has a soundbite as he is a man of the people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

ak40se7en wrote: »
    its not aimed at polish people, its aimed at the system, ffs!!! she only said what everyone is thinking.... shes dead right !! we need more people like her in power and make decisions now more than ever, when the country is on its knees!! all these P C plebs jumping on the bandwagon, sticking their nose in arent living in the real world at all...........
    It was specifically aimed at the Polish people.
    She was not saying what everyone was thinking, as evidenced by the comments on this thread and in the media.
    She is not "in power" and if you had inkling regarding the role of the Judiciary you might have already grasped that point.
    Piss poor attempt at trolling on your part imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If she lashed into some students and called all Irish students drunken wasters this thread would not exist

Judge Fahy in Galway does it often

Just loves to humiliate young people

The use of PC brigade, PC gone mad, PC World (rip-off merchants) etc should be banned off the internet. Such a lazy and antogonistic way of "debating".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

It's not so much that a person passed this remark, it's that a judge passed this remark. They are in place to pass judgement in a fair and unbiased manner on legal proceedings within their jurisdiction. The comment shows a predisposition against a significant section of society. If I was to pass such a comment in my workplace, where Polish people are employed, I'd be pulled up on it and receive a written warning about my conduct. If one of, if not the most important trait of someone's position is to remain balanced and they show themselves incompetent at it (whilst performing their duties nonetheless), then they should be on the receiving end of stern action.

It's nothing to do with being politically correct; this is a matter of carrying out a highly scrutinised and influential public service correctly. Perhaps not remove her from office currently but an in depth review of her history to date should be conducted before making a decision. Any future appointments should also be out of the question now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tzymische

I think, and I am repeating myself, this whole issue of 'racial' abuse is just getting to the ridiculous level and we are loosing control over it.
    Why would be offensive to anyone (I am referring to the original sentence where someone called someone Polish something) being called Polish or Irish or German?

As I said before - I am Polish - and if someone will call me a Fat Polish c***t - I really dont see why would be Fat and Polish offensive to me.
    Yes I am fat (sad but true) and yes I am Polish. This is merely statement of fact. Calling me a c***t is whole different story... but racism? C'mon!

On the same note - if some drunken erm person would call me a Fat Irish ar****e - why would Fat and Irish offend me? I dont see anything offensive in being called Irish (besides maybe a fact that person saying it is probably dumb like a rock as my potato like face features cant be associated with any Irish person - but again I cant be offended by stupidity). Whats offensive or abusive in being 'Irish'? Seriously?
    If you replace Irish with English, or German, or Russian or Zulu - its still not offensive and will never be.

If we start penalizing remarks like that we are actually admitting that being called Polish/Irish/German/etc. is offensive - and putting ourselves (as a society) in really stupid position where 'fighting' with 'racism' actually creates 'racism'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Aquila wrote: »
    Should she step down from her position?
    Or is apologizing enough?

Cant see how she could continue her job.
    As others already said, imagine being Polish and end up in front of her.

Her comment about the interpreter the Polish guy had with him, shows to me how lost she actually is.

If i ever end up in court for whatever reason i ll have an interpreter with me as well. Speaking a 2nd language is one thing, understanding all the legal lingo is another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Are the Polish a race of people?

Anyway, people should really get exercised about more important matters,
    (in no particular order)
    over population
    mass murder
    commercialisation of humanity
    the power of the internet
    starvation
    injustice

I don't now what she is apologizing for, she only said what every hard-working tax-paying Irish person is thinking. .

No, she did not.
    The cheek of what some of those people do (I'm not saying all). I've heard of people who are claiming for their children here and back in Poland, they should be ashamed. Do you think we'd get away with that over there? Not a chance. The government need to take care of their own before they start trying to save the rest of the world. This judge shouldn't need to apologize. Go back home if you don't like how things are run here.

Yeah, go back home and leave us to make stupid remarks amongst ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

inforfun wrote: »
    Cant see how she could continue her job.
    As others already said, imagine being Polish and end up in front of her.

Her comment about the interpreter the Polish guy had with him, shows to me how lost she actually is.

If i ever end up in court for whatever reason i ll have an interpreter with me as well. Speaking a 2nd language is one thing, understanding all the legal lingo is another thing.

what drivel

the accused was either speeding or he wasn't speeding or whatever was the reason for the case, where's the legal lingo involved in that. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If she lashed into some students and called all Irish students drunken wasters this thread would not exist

Judge Fahy in Galway does it often

Just loves to humiliate young people

No, nobody here ever criticises judges statements.

Have you any other debunked pole bashing articles you want to add, following your earlier winning entry?

• Advertisement
Advertisement