Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overstaying a visa by one day

Options
  • 02-08-2012 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Looking at leaving soon and financially its looking better to leave one day after my visa expires. I'm reading online about if you overstay by 28 days you get banned for 3 years but if its only 1 day I'd like to think they'll let it slide?

Anyone know of any experiences with it, don't want to get to the airport and get dragged in by immigration and miss my flight or something sorting it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

There's no grey area with immigration, if you overstay by one day you will get banned for 3 years. I know someone who overstayed by three days and lets just say he ain't coming back anytime soon.

Also you won't get dragged in by immigration, but it'll be caught next time you try get into oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Contact Immigration, or try and go in which is your best bet. They are very understanding.. if you go in with confirmation of the flights in hand they will put you on a bridging visa so you will be able to leave the country hassle free, albeit slightly over your allowed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Noo wrote: »
    There's no grey area with immigration, if you overstay by one day you will get banned for 3 years.
    That's not the slightest bit true.
    There is on automatic 3 three ban.

I went over my 2nd WHV by 5 days. There was a mix up with dates and my 457 application was delayed getting lodged. For those 5 days I was technically illegal. Not only was I not automatically banned, I lodged a 457 application on the 5th day, went on to a bridging visa immediately, was granted the right to work on the bridging visa and my 457 was later approved.
    Diddler82 wrote: »
    Contact Immigration, or try and go in which is your best bet. They are very understanding.. if you go in with confirmation of the flights in hand they will put you on a bridging visa so you will be able to leave the country hassle free, albeit slightly over your allowed time.

Do this.
    Go in with flight confirmation, and explain your case. They are actually quite understanding in the face of legitimate situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Mellor wrote: »

I went over my 2nd WHV by 5 days. There was a mix up with dates and my 457 application was delayed getting lodged. For those 5 days I was technically illegal. Not only was I not automatically banned, I lodged a 457 application on the 5th day, went on to a bridging visa immediately, was granted the right to work on the bridging visa and my 457 was later approved.

Do this.
    Go in with flight confirmation, and explain your case. They are actually quite understanding in the face of legitimate situations.

I agree you should contact them. Just tell them you mixed uo your dates and you booked your flight for this day and its too expensive to change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Mellor wrote: »

Do this.

Because you had a good reason, i dont think "because its cheaper to overstay my visa" will be accepted by immigration.

Edit: Also i didnt mean automatic as in something appears on your passport automatically the day your visa is up, but that they will see it next time you try get a visa, even holiday visa, to enter australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Noo wrote: »
    Because you had a good reason, i dont think "because its cheaper to overstay my visa" will be accepted by immigration.

Yes i agree with this, thats why I reckon you should tell them you mixed up the dates.

Advertisement