Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marine career and (corrected) eyesight.

• 02-08-2012 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭

First post on boards.ie, but a long time reader.

I have recently started to research a new career path, get out of the office and find something more hands-on and worthwhile. I have been reading a lot on the potential of a maritime career, and my next step is to come back home (I emigrated in 2009) and possibly interview as a mature student with NMCI, Nautical Science.

But my first stumbling block; my eye sight. I currently wear glasses and contacts, but I am ready to correct my vision with LASEK, as I have taken a pre-op test and am a suitable candidate.

Despite various emails and calls to the Dept. of Transport, I can not get a definitive answer: Will corrective eye surgery rule me out in any future medical or eye exams? This may be a stupid question, but did the Irish DF not disqualify candidates for this for many years (or still?).

I would like to get some opinions on this. Not that I might apply for the Navy (well, who knows?)

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

IrishExpat wrote: »
    I currently wear glasses and contacts, but I am ready to correct my vision with LASEK, as I have taken a pre-op test and am a suitable candidate.
    Not sure. One question; what armies use LASEK? I ask as some armies use particular laser, because they don't have side effects such as night blindness, etc. When I looked into it four years ago, the Irish army had not done such a study, but I know the british and French armies have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

the_syco wrote: »
    Not sure. One question; what armies use LASEK? I ask as some armies use particular laser, because they don't have side effects such as night blindness, etc. When I looked into it four years ago, the Irish army had not done such a study, but I know the british and French armies have.

I have nothing to go on aside from posters from other marine/maritime forums, mostly American based. But I will look around and get back to you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You could also try speaking to the people in the Mercantile Marine Office http://www.transport.ie/marine/MaritimeSafetyDirectorate/MMO/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1993 as this is where the exams are conducted.

But I sailed with plenty of people with glasses. Colour blindness will be an automatic disqualification though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Thanks for the link, I´ll get on it.

A career at sea or not, it´s a correction I will definitely have this year.
    The more I read up on it - there are many posters claiming to have flouted the rule in the PDF both before and after recruitment (don´t ask, don´t tell).

That aside I´d be happier being honest about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Ring one of the panel of medial examiners , aside from when you are sitting your standard ENG1 / ENG11 medical you will also have to complete a seperate eysight test (Form 5) - which if you pass you will be issued with a fitness to work cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭murphym7

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You could also try speaking to the people in the Mercantile Marine Office http://www.transport.ie/marine/MaritimeSafetyDirectorate/MMO/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1993 as this is where the exams are conducted.

But I sailed with plenty of people with glasses. Colour blindness will be an automatic disqualification though.

I went for my eyetest a good few years ago now, didnt do great on the small letters and handnt a notion during the lantern test I was shouting yellows, greens, oranges - your man sent me off to Specsavers and to come back in an hour, did the test again with my new glasses, failed again and was told " ah, sure glasses take a while to bed in". Glasses are not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

murphym7 wrote: »
    I went for my eyetest a good few years ago now, didnt do great on the small letters and handnt a notion during the lantern test I was shouting yellows, greens, oranges - your man sent me off to Specsavers and to come back in an hour, did the test again with my new glasses, failed again and was told " ah, sure glasses take a while to bed in". Glasses are not an issue.

Mine was something similar, despite the ridge on the nose I professed to not wearing glasses, squinted the my way through.

The Guy giving me the test said I was borderline, but he would pass me so long as I wasn't colour blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I think glasses are not allowed for a new entrant only.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

The criteria for the ENG 11 (Irish Seafarers medical) must be met as a minimum to gain your tickets.
    Correction, be it spectacles or contacts are fine, so long as the end result allows you to read the required line.

http://www.dttas.ie/marine

Search for seafarer medical.
    It will give you the facts.

Colour blindness is a matter of whether you are an engineer, or navigator.

Advertisement