Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New puppy

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I would, but do not know how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Keep going with him gimmick. Just have to persevere, it's frustrating but just have to keep at it.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but its Rufus' thread so ya.

Rufus is fully house trained and very very rarely now are there accidents. But lately, when I walk him, he pees about every 5 minutes. Some are short, others big puddles.

Now, he is 8 months old and is due to be "done" soonish. I was talking to my neighbour who has a 3 year old springer who has not been done and he said the dog will pee the whole time when out on walks.

So, is this normal behaviour, or should I head to the vet in case he has a UTI?

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

gimmick wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but its Rufus' thread so ya.

Rufus is fully house trained and very very rarely now are there accidents. But lately, when I walk him, he pees about every 5 minutes. Some are short, others big puddles.

Is he cocking his leg to pee?
    And, does he pee as much when he's just out in your garden?

Few recent pics.

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Is he cocking his leg to pee?
    And, does he pee as much when he's just out in your garden?

No, he isn't cocking yet. Vet told me when he starts cocking its time for the snip.

Out in the garden he just goes for long pees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That's normal behaviour for an un-neutered male. We didn't get ours done until he was nearly 12 years old and that was only because he developed a tumour so had to be done, probably would never have happened otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

got my lad done at 7 mths ,he started to cock his leg to pee a few days after turning 6 mths. hes 8 mths now.setter cross...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

My dog only really started cocking his leg at around 9/10 months. Unnetuered and staying that way unless for a very good medical reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

My fellas neutered and he still cocks his leg - every tree, lampost etc when we're put. My female does loads of short pees when we're out as well - always puzzled me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

My guy still cock's his leg, neutered since 6mts. He will pee on everything when out on walks, he will even pee on my female's sometimes while they are peeing aswell. I think it's just marking his territory.

So it is normal behaviour, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Yep.

So the leg is cocking now more often than it doesn't. So looks like it is vet time for snippety snip. How much should a neutering cost? Kinda skint at the moment, so it will be next month at least before he gets done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

gimmick wrote: »
    So the leg is cocking now more often than it doesn't. So looks like it is vet time for snippety snip. How much should a neutering cost? Kinda skint at the moment, so it will be next month at least before he gets done.
    Usually based on the weight of the dog for more exact number but I'd guess 100 EUR +/- 30 EUR (130 being a 50+ kg dog).

Advertisement