Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox streaming videos with UPC

• 02-08-2012 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I've read other threads, but I'm confused about what my problem may be, or how to fix it.

Anyways, I'm trying to play videos from my PC on my Xbox. I used to have Eircom, back in 2008, and played videos fine over a wired connection. "video" tab -> "My Video Apps" -> "Video Player" -> "Select Source: PC" -> then my folders with videos in them on the computer would appear, where I could access and play them.

I left Eircom (and the country) in 2008, after returning to Ireland, I decided to go with UPC, because of their Fibre Broadband. It's been two weeks since I had UPC installed, and their internet service has been great...but, yesterday when I tried to setup my Xbox to play videos like I did previously with Eircom, when I get to "Select Source: PC", a loading menu appears for a few minutes, then "No videos found". The Xbox can connect to Xbox LIVE.

After many hours yesterday trying to get it to work, allowing access to Xbox in Network and Sharing Center, in Windows Media Player, trying a wired connection, a wireless connection, trying different settings on the UPC router, reading stuff online like problems with UPC routers, maybe having to buy a seperate router, etc., etc.

What a headache...please help me. Is this a general problem with UPC? Is it still much easier to watch videos this way with Eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

what upc equipment have you got, op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Vohnsom Hofmee

Cisco EPC3925.

Cisco EPC3925.

that's your problem afaik. do you have a phone on the upc connection too? if so, do you actually use it?

Yes, I have a UPC Phone & Broadband bundle. I do use the phone.

Yes, I have a UPC Phone & Broadband bundle. I do use the phone.

ok well, it's been a while since i last looked into this so things might have changed, but from what i remember those router/modem combi boxes wont stream between your connected devices. there was (is) a workaround by setting the cisco box to bridge mode and connecting a better standalone router - this will fix your streaming issue BUT your phone won't work with the cisco box in bridge mode. I'm sure if my info is out of date, others will set me straight here.

My only advice would be to contact UPC and see about getting one of their newer thompson devices - i assume streaming works on them

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help. Can anyone with a Thomson router say if it is easy to stream videos to Xbox? (Or anyone with Eircom?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Thanks for your help. Can anyone with a Thomson router say if it is easy to stream videos to Xbox? (Or anyone with Eircom?)

Stay away from Thomson they are a bad router for streaming also.

Stay away from Thomson they are a bad router for streaming also.

oh really, that sucks. So what do upc customers with xboxes do in these situations?

In my folks house, they just have the standalone modem (~7 years old) connected to a shop bought d-link router which works fine as they still have an eircom phone line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

theteal wrote: »
    oh really, that sucks. So what do upc customers with xboxes do in these situations?

In my folks house, they just have the standalone modem (~7 years old) connected to a shop bought d-link router which works fine as they still have an eircom phone line

Net gear or linksys are the best and are quite cheap too. I recommend linksys from personal experience :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yeah, probably the router

Tp-link have been the most reliable and very reasonably priced routers/modems i've ever used and are usually available to get here rather than online now d.i.d and powercity do them I believe... I got one online a few years ago and reset it about 4 times since

• Advertisement

Well, this is pretty crap. I have to buy an extra piece of equipment to make something work, that should work automatically in the first place?

I didn't have to do this with Eircom...I might just try to cancel UPC and switch to Eircom, if anyone can confirm if you can still stream easily to Xbox with them, using just the one (Eircom) router?

The slower internet speed sucks, but I need a good streaming service, as I won't be getting Sky or any other TV provider. I've always used an Xbox setup for this, a wired one downstairs with the main TV near the PC, and a wireless one upstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

They usually give out kinda crappy cheaper routers since they're "free" with their services... I'm sure they probably have some sort of deal with the companies and get them at knock down prices... Good routers do make a difference though!

If you can get UPC or Eircom UPC wins every time

I had an issue connecting 1 pc to my xbox regardless of which router I used and never found a work around but a laptop I have here connects fine with no issues. I could only connect the troublesome pc via ethernet which worked..

Maybe it's the settings on the router you have now are causing the issue?

Did you open the ports on the router for the xbox?

Usually best to use static IP's when the same devices are connecting to the same network and each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

theteal wrote: »
    ok well, it's been a while since i last looked into this so things might have changed, but from what i remember those router/modem combi boxes wont stream between your connected devices. there was (is) a workaround by setting the cisco box to bridge mode and connecting a better standalone router - this will fix your streaming issue BUT your phone won't work with the cisco box in bridge mode. I'm sure if my info is out of date, others will set me straight here.

Would it be possible to get this working without changing anything on the Cisco box?

What if you plugged a 3rd party router into the Cisco box, and had the 360 and PC both connect to that (via Wifi or Ethernet). Then both devices would be by-passing the Cisco box for local streaming, but should still be able to connect to the Internet. Any reason why that wouldn't work?

(Obviously there still is the cost of a 3rd party router involved, but perhaps the configuration would be a little simpler, and you don't lose the use of the phone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I have the Thomson UPC router and had the Cisco one before that and they both work perfectly fine streaming media from my PC to the Xbox.Depending on what Windows version you're using have you made sure all of this is correct?:

Windows Vista
    Make sure your Network is set to private network click your Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center. You should then see your network listed and you want to make sure it is set to private network for sharing to work with Windows Vista. After you have made sure the network is set to private network you are going to want to make sure the sharing and discovery are set as follows:

Network discovery is on.
    File sharing is on.
    Public folder sharing is on.
    Password protected sharing is off.
    Media sharing is on

The next thing you will need to do is check your services to do this, hit your Windows button and “R” at the same time to bring up your Run command. Type in Services.msc and hit enter. This will bring up a list of services. What you will need to do is locate each service and double click on it to make sure the service status and start up type are set as follows:

Internet Connection Sharing Service: Stopped\Disabled
    Media Center Extender Service: Started\Automatic
    Network List Service: Started\Automatic
    Quality Windows Audio Video Experience: Started\Automatic
    SSDP Discovery Service: Started\Automatic
    UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) Device Host: Started\Automatic
    Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service: Started\Automatic

who_me wrote: »
    Would it be possible to get this working without changing anything on the Cisco box?

What if you plugged a 3rd party router into the Cisco box, and had the 360 and PC both connect to that (via Wifi or Ethernet). Then both devices would be by-passing the Cisco box for local streaming, but should still be able to connect to the Internet. Any reason why that wouldn't work?

(Obviously there still is the cost of a 3rd party router involved, but perhaps the configuration would be a little simpler, and you don't lose the use of the phone).

as i said, i'm no authority on this but from what i remember, to achieve the above the cisco has to be set to bridge mode and thus the phone will no longer work - from what i recall, this was a well publicised issue
    I have the Thomson UPC router and had the Cisco one before that and they both work perfectly fine streaming media from my PC to the Xbox.Depending on what Windows version you're using have you made sure all of this is correct?:

Windows Vista

worth a bash, op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Make sure Firewall and IP flood detection is off in your router settings too.

Make sure your Network is set to private network click your Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center. You should then see your network listed and you want to make sure it is set to private network for sharing to work with Windows Vista. After you have made sure the network is set to private network you are going to want to make sure the sharing and discovery are set as follows:

Network discovery is on.
    File sharing is on.
    Public folder sharing is on.
    Password protected sharing is off.
    Media sharing is on

The next thing you will need to do is check your services to do this, hit your Windows button and “R” at the same time to bring up your Run command. Type in Services.msc and hit enter. This will bring up a list of services. What you will need to do is locate each service and double click on it to make sure the service status and start up type are set as follows:

Internet Connection Sharing Service: Stopped\Disabled
    Media Center Extender Service: Started\Automatic
    Network List Service: Started\Automatic
    Quality Windows Audio Video Experience: Started\Automatic
    SSDP Discovery Service: Started\Automatic
    UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) Device Host: Started\Automatic
    Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service: Started\Automatic
    The bolded part is what I needed to do, it works (for now) with no further messing around with router settings, such as firewall and IP flood detection or anything with opening the ports. I can stay with UPC.

Thank you so much, and to everyone else who tried to help! My wife and kids are also grateful as they can now watch their shows on the big screen, while I use the computer.

Again, thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭kirving

Works perefctly fine for me.

In the post below, I said I couldn't stream content. I meant to say I thought I wouldn't be able to do it.
    I posted about this a month ago or so, looking for a workaround as I couldn't stream media from my wi-fi connected PC to my ethernet connected TV(no wi-fi). Today, I right clicked a photo on Windows 7, and noticed a "Play To" option, giving me the option to stream to my TV. Clicked on the TV and up came the photo on the TV in the other room.

Tried it the other way around too, I can now search through my computers content from the smart tv. I might be missing some intricacies in why the rule above doesn't apply to me - but it works for me. I'll put up a decent explanation later with model numbers and settigns and even a video of it working if you want. On the way out now.

Kevin.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=76892887

Previous Thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75836450

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

I recently got UPC tv phone and 50 bundle package ,
    They've put me up to 60 mb
    Downloading from usenet @7.50mb/s
    Which is awesome
    No troubles at all with the phone or tv
    Streaming to Xbox or smart tv is fine .
    Pc wireless
    Tv and Xbox wired .
    Phone and tv box downstairs
    Reuter in my man cave .

Gave my xbox a static ip and that's all I did using the same Reuter Cisco.
    No bridging mode required
    Maybe I'm just lucky
    Really happy with UPC 4 months in

Advertisement