Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Mobile Website m.met.ie

Options
  • 02-08-2012 11:14am
    Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep

Met Éireann have developed a new web app / mobile site specifically tailored for smart phones, available at m.met.ie. It is a cross-platform site, designed to work on most devices.

It includes radar animation; national & provincial text forecasts; latest reports; sea area & inland lakes forecasts; satellite imagery and more. It’s still in the final beta stage; some final tweaking and catching of errors in the XML remains to be done, particularly in regard to the warnings which are only intermittently being updated.

At this stage we don’t plan any major changes to the layout or content – but a review will be undertaken in due course. Queries can be directed to Met Éireann Customer Liaison.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Shows dublin weather on top line. This should be user settable.

• Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep MetEireann

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If you scroll down to the "My Met" section you can change the default location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Click on Dublin and it brings you to a page where you can set your county.
    Edit: or what meteireann said above!

I like the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Good job I think its great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its ok. Could be prettier.

• Advertisement

Cool. if region is set to Connacht in my met settings then connacht should be sorted top of regional forecast list thereafter.

Otherwise v good.It will do great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Looks good but is the 3 hour forecast there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ah very well done. Works perfect with my Samsung S3. Keep up the good work.

3 hour could be added to the rather nice atlantic charts feature perhaps.

Cool. if region is set to Connacht in my met settings then connacht should be sorted top of regional forecast list thereafter.

Otherwise v good.It will do great. :)

Eh it is. Leinster forecast shows up in mine when selected in region.

• Advertisement

Ive a smaller screen. once i select region in my met then clicking on reg forecast brings me to all 4 provinces with connacht last if the 4. If i scroll below that connacht is there. an adjustment to the sort order would fix that. The default province should be topand the remaining 3 provinces below that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I like it. Nice and simple.

If you go to "Customise Region" in the "My Met" section and set your province, provided you've enabled cookies on your browser, your province will be displayed by default.

I set connacht as region.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Anyone else like to see the buoy reports page added? Vital for checking the dew points over the winter for a bit of snow at sea level :p

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I've been waiting for this for a while. Its nice and simple but with all the functions, good work!

Cant get rid of marine warnings either

Don't know what's happening on your end Sponge Bob but when I select Leinster as my preferred setting the only regional forecast that shows up is the Leinster one.

I get all 4 provinces and down screen is connacht ( galaxy y) 'exploded' but i gotta scroll

Then perhaps the best thing for Met Éireann to do is change the province selection to underneath the preferred regional forecast.

• Advertisement

Change the province selection to a dropdown like the stations ..it is a panel menu of 4x exploding right now...takes up a lot if space.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Pretty nice layout! Been dying for a mobile version as I always check met.ie on my lunch break or on the daily commute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Looks good on Android. Radar will be easier to access. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Looks good, works well on the phone

One thing I did notice though is that there doesn't seem to be any way to view all the latest reports on one page. I regularly check it to get a quick idea of what's happening around the country so it'll be a bit of a chore having to select each station individually. Maybe an 'All' option on the drop down list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Pretty nice layout! Been dying for a mobile version as I always check met.ie on my lunch break or on the daily commute :)

Huh? mobile.met.ie has been around for at least 6 or 7 years. They were one of the first organisations in Ireland to produce a decent mobile site. It's looking a bit dated now but looked good on the various Nokias most people used to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

So is this a mobile website or can you downlaod an app for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I was going to ask that.

Thread title clearly states mobile website.

No, there isn't an app. But it's pretty straightforward to save a shortcut to your desktop that performs exactly as an app, if you wish.

• Advertisement

Mobile website, no app required.

Tested it in Opera Mini on Android as well as desktop Google Chrome too, works exactly the same as on the default android browser.

To summarise. The only requests I would suggest for a code change are.

1. Add the 3 hour rain prediction somewhere...Atlantic charts rotation would do fine.
    2. 'Behaviour' of Regions ONCE a region is set in My Met settings and saved to cookie!
    3. User settable Option to turn Marine Warnings off as they take up a lot of prime space on small screen.
    4. Consider adding Visible and Invisible sats to Atlantic Charts rotation and drop the option off the screen after renaming to "Atlantic Charts and Satellites" I know they are historic not forward looking ..... but still, space is a premium. :)

Advertisement