Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Mobile Website m.met.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Redsunset wrote: »
    Thread title clearly states mobile website.

Easy mistake i made "Met Éireann have developed a new web app" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

MetEireann wrote: »
    to your desktop that performs exactly as an app, if you wish.

Windows 8 user then? :) I'm old fashioned and I have almost every weather app for the iPhone, I'll only use an internet when I've a WiFi connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

But sure the apps use the internet to get data .....same as a web page :)

Met E have no NEED to create an app when their m.page simply brings in a trickle of user selected and highly specific data.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    But sure the apps use the internet to get data .....same as a web page :) .
    not quite the same,

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Great site. Works well. Only niggle is radar and satellite pics very small on tablet - but on phone they are screen sized so no biggie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Nice job M.E.
    In the weather stations ,i was looking at the closest one to me which is listed
    as Johnstown Castle.
    Isn't there one at J.F.K Aboretum?thats even closer to me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Looks good! Only think I notice is that on the home page it won't scroll down fully to "go to met.ie", not sure if this is intentional. Using Chrome on iPhone 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Not impressed with the mobile site. I have a Samsung S2 phone. Do one get the latest weather reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

great work

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Very nice. Would be great if there was an option to zoom in a bit more on the rain radar and sat maps, as they seem quite small on my phone (HTC Sensation XL). I could see myself still checking other radar pages to get a bit more detail, but overall very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep MetEireann

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Nice job M.E.
    In the weather stations ,i was looking at the closest one to me which is listed
    as Johnstown Castle.
    Isn't there one at J.F.K Aboretum?thats even closer to me:D
    That's not a synoptic station, i.e. it doesn't produce hourly reports.

Very nice. Would be great if there was an option to zoom in a bit more on the rain radar and sat maps, as they seem quite small on my phone (HTC Sensation XL). I could see myself still checking other radar pages to get a bit more detail, but overall very nice.
    If you play around with your phone and browser settings, you should be able to zoom in on the images, although admittedly it's a bit tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Met Eireann, is there any chance of getting all the station reports together on one page, aswell as your current favourite station selection? Also, I've always wondered if you considered reporting temperatures to the nearest 0.1 of a degree? That would be nice.

This is a neat addition to my iPhone.

I do have most of the info on other weather apps already, but the Atlantic Weather Charts are a nice feature that I don't have.

For those mentioning zooming, my other iPhone Apps support zooming for example the same Satellite images, but they don't increase resolution.

Native zooming is apparently not supported at all on iP4/IOS 5.1 ???

Su Campu wrote: »
    Met Eireann, is there any chance of getting all the station reports together on one page, aswell as your current favourite station selection? Also, I've always wondered if you considered reporting temperatures to the nearest 0.1 of a degree? That would be nice.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    To summarise. The only requests I would suggest for a code change are.

1. Add the 3 hour rain prediction somewhere...Atlantic charts rotation would do fine.
    2. 'Behaviour' of Regions ONCE a region is set in My Met settings and saved to cookie!
    3. User settable Option to turn Marine Warnings off as they take up a lot of prime space on small screen.
    4. Consider adding Visible and Invisible sats to Atlantic Charts rotation and drop the option off the screen after renaming to "Atlantic Charts and Satellites" I know they are historic not forward looking ..... but still, space is a premium. :)
    Thank you all for the constructive criticism and feedback. Frankly, changes to the layout and content are unlikely at present, but they are good ideas and we will definitely keep these recommendations in mind when we come to review the site in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nice work, hope to see this as an app in the future, it's just handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Pangea wrote: »
    Nice work, hope to see this as an app in the future, it's just handier.
    Yes app please

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Sounds good to me, as long as it includes the atlantic charts section! :D

Any plans to develop an iPhone or Android app? Seems you can get more done easily with an app as opposed to a mobile web page, in terms of programming them?

I'm in CUH, (Cork) reception is pathetic, I'm often on Edge and do appreciate the new mobile Met site, it works in these (extreme) conditions where the main site won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Met Eireann, I notice that the rain radar on the UK Met Office website incorporates data from Shannon airport (and possibly Dublin too - hard to say as areas are overlapping).

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/?tab=map (you need to select Rainfall from the "Map Menu" on the right)

Why doesn't the Met Eireann radar include data from their radar sites? Isn't there a reciprocal arrangement in place?
    Okay, we're not that interested in what's going on in the Orkneys etc., but they appear to have a radar in the Derry area which would greatly improve the ME radar in the north of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

franer1970 wrote: »
    but they appear to have a radar in the Derry area which would greatly improve the ME radar in the north of Ireland.

A high site radar in Dooncarton ( NW Mayo) is long overdue, that would provide good resolution at a considerable distance out.

I noticed this morning that the symbol charts for today was missing. It went straight from last night to Friday, skipping out today (i.e. "Tomorrow", as it was issued last night).

Another issue with both the mobile and main sites is that the temperature forecast charts are beautifully coloured but there is no legend to say what temperature each colour represents! There is one on the ECMWF charts but not on the Atlantic one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

I like it.

To people asking for an app, why?
    It will do the exact same thing but take up space on your phone, it's completely pointless.

@gbee, if you are using weather apps you will need an internet connection to get updated weather info, these apps don't magically update when you have no internet connection.

whitesands wrote:

@gbee, if you are using weather apps you will need an internet connection to get updated weather info, these apps don't magically update when you have no internet connection.

There is a difference as some apps only have to download tiny amounts of data, much less than refreshing a web page

Eh, the date on the Coastal Reports page is 30 December 1899. That's probably not right, is it? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Can you look at yesterday's weather like on the main site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It doesn't work properly on Nokia N900. I can't scroll down at all to reach forecasts! Zooming doesn't help. No grey buttons at the bottom either(like in screenshot). Back to the main website for checking weather as this mobile site is of no use :(

gurramok wrote: »
    It doesn't work properly on Nokia N900. I can't scroll down at all to reach forecasts! Zooming doesn't help. No grey buttons at the bottom either(like in screenshot). Back to the main website for checking weather as this mobile site is of no use :(

The webapp only works properly in iPhone and Android devices and does not work with older Nokia phones. The old mobile.met.ie site still available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very nice app and well put together, any chance of putting faster rain radar updates on it, very handy if travelling around the country to see when the rain is due.

Advertisement