Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fern like weeds growing up through plastic and stones on driveway

Options
  • 02-08-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

We got stones years ago for the driveway, after a while and during the first summer we had it down. A fern like weed started to grow on them. We'd put down weed killer and every summer they would return. So then We decided to put down plastic over the stones and put a different stone over the plastic. Now this is the first summer we've had this down and the same weeds are piercing the plastic and growing again. They are growing at a high rate. If I pulled them they'll be more up again within a couple of days. My question is how do I kill these for good? Is there anything I can get that nothing will ever grow on the driveway again or for at least a year or two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mossey79

If only I could

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Any chance of a picture? Would they be mare's tails?

http://allotmenteer.co.uk/2007/03/25/weed-number-2-field-horsetail/

in which case there are several threads here already incl :-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056682550

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mossey79

Thats exactly what it is. Looks like I'm going to be stuck with this. A pain in the arse it is. It's ripping the plastic under the stones, so eventually after a couple of years it'll be in ribbons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Am genuinely sorry for your trouble -- it's a nuisance to put it mildly but,,,,,

Cultural control

The rhizomes can be forked out of the top layers of soil, but regrowth is inevitable. Shallow weeding should be avoided, as it worsens the problem.

By regularly removing new shoots as soon as they appear above ground, the plants seem to weaken, and infestation can be reduced quite a lot over a couple of seasons.

Chemical control

Horsetail is resistant to most weedkillers - at least those that can be used anywhere near other plants and produce. This is due to the plants having an outer cuticle that protects it against penetration.

Some success can be achieved by using a systemic glyphosate based weedkiller like roundup in late summer when the plant is growing fast. Before application of the weedkiller - run a rake across the patch you want to treat - or trample down the plants, in order to break the protective cuticle on them.

Any new growth after the first application should be treated promptly - and further treatments later in the season - or early in the next season may well be required.

It's a long term process but sometimes can be done. I'm only in year 7 ,,,,,,, :(

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement