Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarpo spuds in the shops

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

liamhana wrote: »
    I dug two rows up entirely last week due to blight & will now have to take up the rest early as well as the leaves are gone & the few I've picked are showing signs.....Sarpos next year...

You dont necessarily have to dig them up straight away....When you cut the blighted foliage off them, you can (some say should) leave them in the ground for a while until you need them.....
    That's assuming you catch the blight before it gets to the actual spuds themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

That's what I do.They last till the spring but the slugs do get them -especially some varieties like Pinks and especially with really wet conditions
    I cut the haulms right to the ground and remove absolutely everything ideally.

I suppose if you could keep the rain off the area (with plastic?) it would be even better.

Noone with any experience of using asprin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

paddy147 wrote: »
    Theres been studies done on GM fields over in the Uk and they saw a 68% drop in bees and butterflies.:(

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0727/1224320884878.html

....."An Taisce said it was concerned that conducting GM field trials in an open air environment could result in the cross-pollination with non-GM potatoes. “In addition, research on GM crops on farmland biodiversity in the UK, which was carried out on more than 200 plots, have demonstrated worrying trends. Bees and butterflies were found to be 68 per cent fewer in the GM field”.............

Ok first of all that's just a quote from a vested political interest. Have you got a link to the actual report you read? What type of GM crops were they?

I am perplexed on your reaction to GM potatoes because in other threads you have freely given advice and admitted use of pesticides, pesticides have been linked to Bee Colony Collapse.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/2012-releases/colony-collapse-disorder-pesticide.html

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Has anybody ever tried using Horsetail tea or a weak mix of seaweed on their spuds for blight???

Havent myself but was looking at an article on Irish seed savers about it...

'' We can now see the early potatoes lifted by rows, with their haulm taken to the compost heap. Before planting anything after them dig them over thoroughly to collect any stragglers, leaving them in will only encourage them to grow again and carry any blight spores into next years crop. Blight shows as rounded dark-brown patches around the edges of the leaves that spread rapidly and blacken the whole plant; this in turn reduces the food supply to the tubers so there is less of a crop, the humble spud will rot when stored. If you see the patches in time, you can spray with horsetail tea or a very weak seaweed mix; do this in 3 week intervals from June. If left unchecked and the stems blacken, cut off the haulms and take them right out of the garden for the spores will be washed into the soil or compost heap ready to sprout again next year. Wait about 3 weeks before lifting the potatoes to give the spores time to die out. ''

Interesting I thought. :)

Redser,

Mr Middleton has bags of Sarpo Peer and Charlotte for sale in city centre shop...Got some Charlotte myself there today;)

'Sarpo' peer or Maris peer? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ok first of all that's just a quote from a vested political interest. Have you got a link to the actual report you read? What type of GM crops were they?

I am perplexed on your reaction to GM potatoes because in other threads you have freely given advice and admitted use of pesticides, pesticides have been linked to Bee Colony Collapse.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/2012-releases/colony-collapse-disorder-pesticide.html

You have implied/suggested that Im quoting a political party or a politicians comments on this matter.

Completely wrong accusation of me,on your part.

With regards what I originally posted about the decline in bees/butterflys in GM areas....it is freely available on the internet....if you look.

http://www.antaisce.ie/Portals/0/Newsletters/mar2011/mar2011.html

So is "An Taisce" a political party now??

....."The European Environmental Bureau (EEB) of which An Taisce is an active member, is calling for the Council of Ministers to ensure a de facto new moratorium on the cultivation of GMOs by suspending new authorisations until the current authorisation system is significantly strengthened and rules in line with the 2008 Council conclusions, guaranteeing member states the right to decide whether or not to cultivate GM crops in their territory are in place; and to ensure that a rigorous, comprehensive, coherent and mandatory regime for the risk assessment of GMOs will be put in place.

An Taisce is calling for Ireland to vote against the new proposals. There are huge risks associated with the release of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) in to the Environment, one of which is the fact that those organisms can never be recalled. Once released nothing can control their expansion, their mutations, their invasion of "unimproved" plants, or the cross fertilisation with regular crops. The potential consequences for biodiversity, and food sovereignty, are far reaching. There is also huge merit in Ireland taking on a strong GM Free stance for economic reasons, which include feeding the growing demands of European consumers for GM free foods.

Research on impacts of GM herbicide tolerant spring crops on farmland Biodiversity, carried out on more than 200 plots in the UK, has demonstrated worrying trends. Bees and butterflies were found to be fewer in the GM fields, as low as 68% less abundant in GM fields than in fields of conventionally grown crops. Other complex ecological relationships were found to be much impacted by the GM crops, such as a reduction in a range of pollinators and other beneficial invertebrates. Most of the Biotech industry focus in genetic engineering is based on herbicide resistance. The engineered crop is developed with a resistance to a particular herbicide, often produced by the same company that has developed the crop, so that the fields with the engineered crop can be heavily sprayed with the herbicide to kill off all other plants. This obviously has major knock on impacts in the environment, for example in herbicide residues in soil and water, and to wild flora and fauna in the landscape. The clearance of huge fields and tracts of land with powerful herbicides produces farmland devoid of wildlife, spelling disaster for already declining bird and other wildlife populations.

Genetically Engineered crops strengthen the control of multinationals over our agricultural sector and thus weaken food security by increasing farmer’s dependence on international seed and chemical supply, and decreasing the genetic diversity of and hence crop resistance to unforeseen factors such as drought and disease. It is these same profit driven motives of the agricultural biotech companies that have driven the new proposals and their support from Council Ministers".....

I am perplexed as to how you are so "qualified" as to judge me and accuse me of using pesticides?
    Also that you are Pro GM but will have a go at me for using some diluted herbicidal weed killer to spray a small patch of my back garden (calm dry day and late evening too).

You make out as if I spray pesticides all over the place.

I ONCE sprayed a diluted "herbicide" weed killer on a small patch of my back garden,to get rid of very heavy weed growth and brambles.
    I personally have never used or sprayed insecticides or fungicides in my life.

So you say you are Pro GM.....So you also would be fully aware of the "chemical process" involved in treating GM fields and GM spuds,before,during and after GM Spud trials.

You are aware of that process,arent you??

So please explain how you can be in favour of the entire GM process (and all the chemical spray procedures involved) but then have a pop at me for using a diluted "herbicidal" weed killer on a Once Off basis,in a small patch of my back garden.

Please explain that to me.

PS-Maybe go and start a "personal debate" with An Taisce and ask them if they are making it all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SPUDS Community Research

Spuds (www.spuds.ie) is a community based research project trialling 3 different varieties of naturally blight resistant potatoes, we handed out one and half tons of Sárpo Mira, Sárpo Axona and Blue Danube in April to anyone who wanted to take part growing them this summer, these seed potatoes came from our research partners Sárávari Research Trust (http://www.sarvari-trust.org/) in Wales, who have been studying blight resistance for over 40 years.
    If you 'd like to grow them next year you'll be able to get them from selected garden centers ( or ask you local one NOW to get them in next year) or directly from Mr Middleton (www.mrmiddleton.com/) , who get them from our friends in Wales, and if you're looking to support Organic Frutihill Farm (www.fruithillfarm.com/) and the Organic center (www.theorganiccentre.ie) will also be able to supply you.

It is Spuds Ireland’s dream to see a sustainable agricultural food system develop in Ireland so that we can live up to our image abroad of a green, clean GM-free country. So we are disappointed to learn that the EPA has granted approval to Teagasc to trial GM potatoes in Ireland. SPUDS feel that government bodies such as Teagasc have the responsibility to educate the public on the various options for growing potatoes in Ireland. SPUDS will continue its awareness campaign into the various naturally blight resistant varieties that are available in Ireland. SPUDS is looking forward to examining the research results of the 300 growers who have cultivated naturally blight resistant varieties this summer and to tasting the potatoes at tasting fests this autumn.

Good luck to all us potato growers

Kind regards
    SPUDS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Will you do us a favour and remember to let us know how it went or post a link to the results? Cheers

all research results will be publish once collated!
    Hope it'll be convincing

Kind regards

SPUDS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Spuds (www.spuds.ie) is a community based research project trialling 3 different varieties of naturally blight resistant potatoes, we handed out one and half tons of Sárpo Mira, Sárpo Axona and Blue Danube in April to anyone who wanted to take part growing them this summer, these seed potatoes came from our research partners Sárávari Research Trust (http://www.sarvari-trust.org/) in Wales, who have been studying blight resistance for over 40 years.
    If you 'd like to grow them next year you'll be able to get them from selected garden centers ( or ask you local one NOW to get them in next year) or directly from Mr Middleton (www.mrmiddleton.com/) , who get them from our friends in Wales, and if you're looking to support Organic Frutihill Farm (www.fruithillfarm.com/) and the Organic center (www.theorganiccentre.ie) will also be able to supply you.

It is Spuds Ireland’s dream to see a sustainable agricultural food system develop in Ireland so that we can live up to our image abroad of a green, clean GM-free country. So we are disappointed to learn that the EPA has granted approval to Teagasc to trial GM potatoes in Ireland. SPUDS feel that government bodies such as Teagasc have the responsibility to educate the public on the various options for growing potatoes in Ireland. SPUDS will continue its awareness campaign into the various naturally blight resistant varieties that are available in Ireland. SPUDS is looking forward to examining the research results of the 300 growers who have cultivated naturally blight resistant varieties this summer and to tasting the potatoes at tasting fests this autumn.

Good luck to all us potato growers

Kind regards
    SPUDS

Let us know when and where you will be having the taste fests?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

muckyhands wrote: »
    'Sarpo' peer or Maris peer? :confused:

oooops..sorry meant to say Maris of course:o

This is either bad journalism or I misunderstood the EPA's statement http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/farmingnews/gm_potato_trial_in_norfolk_cuts_the_mustard_1_1476542

I thought there was a 3 month period allowing for judiciary review before trials began.
    Anyone Know more than me?

Mr Middleton sell Charlotte and Maris Peer

will of course publish link to results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

paddy147 wrote: »
    With regards what I originally posted about the decline in bees/butterflys in GM areas....

"Research on impacts of GM herbicide tolerant spring crops on farmland Biodiversity, carried out on more than 200 plots in the UK, has demonstrated worrying trends. Bees and butterflies were found to be fewer in the GM fields, as low as 68% less abundant in GM fields than in fields of conventionally grown crops. Other complex ecological relationships were found to be much impacted by the GM crops, such as a reduction in a range of pollinators and other beneficial invertebrates. Most of the Biotech industry focus in genetic engineering is based on herbicide resistance. The engineered crop is developed with a resistance to a particular herbicide, often produced by the same company that has developed the crop, so that the fields with the engineered crop can be heavily sprayed with the herbicide to kill off all other plants. This obviously has major knock on impacts in the environment, for example in herbicide residues in soil and water, and to wild flora and fauna in the landscape. The clearance of huge fields and tracts of land with powerful herbicides produces farmland devoid of wildlife, spelling disaster for already declining bird and other wildlife populations"..

Can I just point out that all the above info regarding reduced biodiversity is in relation to the spraying of a herbicide. It is not due to the crop itself being GM bred. The fact that the crop has been GM bred to be resistant to the roundup chemical is what allows the massive application of that chemical, but that is not the same as saying the GM crop in itself kills weeds and bugs.

Now moving to the potatoes; they are breeding (or "engineering in" if you like) blight resistance, not roundup resistance. That means less chemicals will be used on the crop, not more. It also means the pharma industry will not be particularly interested in sponsoring the trials. And it means more biodiversity in fields where this GM potato is grown compared to fields where fungicides are sprayed to keep blight at bay.

recedite wrote: »
    Can I just point out that all the above info regarding reduced biodiversity is in relation to the spraying of a herbicide. It is not due to the crop itself being GM bred. The fact that the crop has been GM bred to be resistant to the roundup chemical is what allows the massive application of that chemical, but that is not the same as saying the GM crop in itself kills weeds and bugs.

Now moving to the potatoes; they are breeding (or "engineering in" if you like) blight resistance, not roundup resistance. That means less chemicals will be used on the crop, not more. It also means the pharma industry will not be particularly interested in sponsoring the trials. And it means more biodiversity in fields where this GM potato is grown compared to fields where fungicides are sprayed to keep blight at bay.

Re the GM potatoes Herbicides, Insecticides and fertilisers will still be used... (fungicides too for controls)

'Stewardship of the site will be in accordance with standard conventional practises for the cultivation of commercial potato. This relates to the application of fungicides (when required as experimental controls), insecticides, herbicides and fertilisers. '

Link to the GM notification-

http://www.gmfreeireland.org/potato/Teagasc-2012/Teagasc-GMO-potato-notification-2012.pdf

Just to add Glyphosate (aka roundup) is the example given of the Herbicide to be used for said GM potatoes field/crop area...

In other words this- a 'GM field/crop area' will still be adversely affected by Herbicides,...

not to mention Insecticides.....

who would have thought..... :rolleyes:

muckyhands wrote: »
    Just to add Glyphosate (aka roundup) is the example given of the Herbicide to be used for said GM potatoes field/crop area...

In other words this- a 'GM field/crop area' will still be adversely affected by Herbicides,...
    Yes, kind of ironic, but they intend to use roundup to destroy all the remaining spuds after the end of the trial. Not surprising though, as its a standard and very effective weedkiller. Its slightly annoying that they have no plans to release or market any of these spuds afterwards, but that is presumably down to political considerations.
    However the same GM spuds are being tested in Holland and Finland, so even if Ireland bans them, it seems likely that someone will eventually smuggle in some tubers illegally.

Does anyone else wonder if...

Irish history, (Re GMO's- in our case- the potato)- that part of our history being The Famine in Ireland...

is posibly being used here as a platform/ marketing tool, to change public views on Genetically Modified Organisms? :mad:

They were tested elsewhere first, know the results, and are now going for Ireland, where Irish history can be utilised in their marketing strategy?????

• Advertisement

Irish climate is different, maybe worse for blight.
    You could also say the 1 million who starved because of the potato blight would turn in their graves if they could see people nowadays turning up their noses to a possible end to blight.

Exactly my point.

Irish history being used as a tool to change public views on Genetically Modified Organisms.....?

Maybe. Personally I think perceptions will change anyway, especially when people get used to seeing GM technologies curing human diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi redser, Ive grown mira for the last few years,no blight on them till this year :-(

I cut all folliage a couple of weeks ago and tubers still ok,I'll drop u a few round to try when im back next weekend.not my favourite spud but still good eating.
    ps my blackcurrants badly need picking if u want some!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Sounds like a fair deal to me :) Cheers man, appreciate it!

Advertisement