Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social welfare for self employed

• 02-08-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Was going to post on welfare payments too high, but afraid off topic, as a self employed deserted person, I am not entitled to anything, have applied for hundreds of jobs, all levels, (literally) but in this climate my age is against me. Met with social worker who told me all the benefits I would have been entitled too, but wasn't because self employed, and then got the advice to buy a 'lotto ticket' on my way home.

I have never needed or been in receipt of social welfare payment before.

We need to look at how money is administered in this country and also make the relevant departments responsible for relevant money, an example of bad mismanagement is for those with disability, high budget but spread over many different departments which results that those that need relevant services, not getting the correct service.

Hope there are not too many points in here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

You should apply to the HSE - Community Welfare Officer.
    There is no guarantee that they will help, but it's worth a shot.

The Social Welfare system is not intended to be inclusive, the opposite, it's designed to exclude you - you have to make yourself 'fit' their criteria....The number of my colleagues who became 'single' the day their partner became unemployed was quite astonishing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You are entitled to means tested welfare coz you have no stamps. So if you were really in need (ie you had no means) then you would get welfare.

Self-employed people pay less prsi, not having stamps is the downside. Stamps only last around a year tho so they are not a long term thing. Also note that certain types of self-employed (sole traders) have the option to pay extra prsi to get stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

srsly78 wrote: »
    You are entitled to means tested welfare coz you have no stamps. So if you were really in need (ie you had no means) then you would get welfare.

Self-employed people pay less prsi, not having stamps is the downside. Stamps only last around a year tho so they are not a long term thing. Also note that certain types of self-employed (sole traders) have the option to pay extra prsi to get stamps.

?This is not correct AFAIK

Sole traders cannot pay additional PRSI "to get stamps", (to use your archaic term). I think they can in the UK but not here.

Both the self employed and class A PRSI payers pay the same rate of PRSI - 4%. The difference is employers PRSI which the is only paid by an employer. Obviously the self employed dont have an employer so dont pay the additonal PRSI which is 10.25% I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Are you Irish? If you are then you are entitled to social welfare (job seekers allowance) if you have not got any other means (money in the bank or maintenance etc.). Its only job seekers benefit that you are not entitled too due to the lack of stamps. See the CWO.

By the way they are the same amount either way if you do not have other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lexicographer

100% Irish told not entitled to job seekers by welfare officer, will apply anyhow, thanks, would prefer to pay full prsi and get entitlements, but I suppose the point is how the money is administered, have no legal agreement as such with husband so am at a loss, I am entitled to free legal aid but 10 month waiting list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

100% Irish told not entitled to job seekers by welfare officer, will apply anyhow, thanks, would prefer to pay full prsi and get entitlements, but I suppose the point is how the money is administered, have no legal agreement as such with husband so am at a loss, I am entitled to free legal aid but 10 month waiting list.

The welfare officers are usually little help. A trip into your local citizen advice centre is your best bet. They have all the forms in there also.

The separation bit might be a pain in the rear to verify if the ex is still earning I am not sure how that will work. You will need 6 months bank statements with your application and a list of all of your outgoings.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I was self employed for 10 years and my company is gone bust .
    I have 3 kids and wife .
    Would she be able to claim benefit for the family as I'm sure I'm entitled to nothing .
    If so how much would we get ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

blingrhino wrote: »
    I was self employed for 10 years and my company is gone bust .
    I have 3 kids and wife .
    Would she be able to claim benefit for the family as I'm sure I'm entitled to nothing .
    If so how much would we get ?
    Is she working? You could be entitled to Jobseekers Assistance, it is means tested, you won't however get Jobseekers Benefit, which is paid to PAYE workers when they become unemployed. Go into the SW office and ask, if you have no means or significant savings you may be entitled to Jobseekers Assistance, with extra payments for your dependents.

Thxs mickey she has not worked in years .
    We have no money coming in except children's allow.
    Means tested sounds ominous ! I thought there was benefit available for the first year which was not means tested . When I say ominous I mean when they see a 5 bedroom detatched ( even though it's now worth half of the mortgage) it probably is a dead end ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Don't know much about the means test but I doubt the family home is taken into consideration, can't be sure though. I would say it is more about assessing what income you have, savings and investments etc., and deciding what assistance you need. The jobseekers benefit which is not means tested only applies to PAYE workers, whose employers would have been paying 11% PRSI for them while they were employed, that doesn't seem to be the case here so you'd need to go down the means test route I am afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Means tested sounds ominous ! I thought there was benefit available for the first year which was not means tested . When I say ominous I mean when they see a 5 bedroom detatched ( even though it's now worth half of the mortgage) it probably is a dead end ?

Even if selfemployed you are entitled to family assistance. When they access you they will look at any saving you have, investments or othere income.

The value of the family home will not come into it if you have no money/means. income you will get family assistance it is around the same as social welfare.

Statement of affairs

House worth €250 , mortgage €400(joint names)
    Apartment worth €70 mortgage €150, shortfall on rent v mortgage €150 per month also so really bollocked here . (my name)
    Car worth €15 paid for
    Mrs has €10 k in her name in the bank.
    No income apart from children's allowance
    Judgements against me personally , have paid tax all my life and Prsi and now no source of income - none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Statement of affairs

House worth €250 , mortgage €400(joint names)
    Apartment worth €70 mortgage €150, shortfall on rent v mortgage €150 per month also so really bollocked here . (my name)
    Car worth €15 paid for
    Mrs has €10 k in her name in the bank.
    No income apart from children's allowance
    Judgements against me personally , have paid tax all my life and Prsi and now no source of income - none

Wrong forum to get assessed on your personal circumstances.
    State benefits forum would have people with the knowledge to let you know if you are really entitled to anything.

Anyone here is just guessing:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

As far as I know, your entitled to means tested benefits but it assumes you'd meet that criteria but by the sounds of it, if you don't today, you will shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

I am self employed and I have been paying tax for years.

I am doing ok. But it is scary to think if things go awry that there really is no safety net.

I have a property in my name i don't live there currently and if i were means tested (and not getting work ) i would be screwed.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The safety net is not worth as much as everyone seems to think. It runs out after a year and then everyone is means tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What about supplementary welfare allowance? I know a self employed person who got this. They dont afaik take the value of your home into account (only a second property)

Advertisement