Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or.....

Options
  • 02-08-2012 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

Are letting agents the very same as they were during the boom?

Currently trying to find somewhere to live with the OH and it's proving to be really difficult. Most places I call are either already gone or the agent says, "the rep is on the road at the moment, I'll get him to call you" - never happens. Then when you do a follow up call the next day...the house is gone. Often when you call an agents, they ask you to register your interest via email, and then never respond,

We viewed a place a while ago (was the first viewing) with another couple and I received an email this morning to say its gone. I emailed back to ask what specific criteria would determine why one couple would be successful over another, simply for future reference...nothing.

From what I can see, the only thing that has changed since 2007 are the prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I currently rent a property and my tenant will soon be moving out as I sold up.

They have told me that there is a lot of housse for rent out there, but a lot of rubbish ones. They said that the really nice ones are in the minority, and that any like this are being snapped up quickly. Unless that is part of what you're seeing?

Also, remember that there is an all-time low number of people buying houses and being OK'd for mortgages, so the rental market is meant to be booming, meaning more people than 'back in the day' looking for places to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The only advice I can give you is that when you're in touch with them, ask if there are any other scheduled viewings. If there are, book yours to be before those. If you like the place, do not let the agent leave without handing over a holding deposit.

You really have to scalp people to get the good places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Have you got search alerts set up on daft and the likes so you'll know straight away when a new letting is advertised to be at the top of the queue?

It really depends on where you are looking for. There's plenty out there but if you are limiting yourself to an area that has a small rental pool then you could be waiting a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

NIMAN wrote: »
    I currently rent a property and my tenant will soon be moving out as I sold up.

They have told me that there is a lot of housse for rent out there, but a lot of rubbish ones. They said that the really nice ones are in the minority, and that any like this are being snapped up quickly. Unless that is part of what you're seeing?

Also, remember that there is an all-time low number of people buying houses and being OK'd for mortgages, so the rental market is meant to be booming, meaning more people than 'back in the day' looking for places to rent.

Good point actually, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose we probably have more renters now :( I see a lot of studios alright that I wouldnt leave a dog in never mind a person lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Have you got search alerts set up on daft and the likes so you'll know straight away when a new letting is advertised to be at the top of the queue?

It really depends on where you are looking for. There's plenty out there but if you are limiting yourself to an area that has a small rental pool then you could be waiting a while.

No, didn't realise you could do that! :D OK thats step one anyway, though I'm pretty much checking daft every hour :(

Guess I'm a little tired of wasting my time attending pointless viewings. I called one guy today and asked if his apt was available and he said, "it is but I am getting a deposit on it tomorrow and have a verbal agreement to let, but come by this evening and have a look" - I was like, "ok so its...available but..its not?" - why would I waste an evening viewing one place that is 99% likely to be gone anyway? He was basically using me as a fallback.

The other thing I dont get is how you can attend a first viewing and then the next mornign the place is gone. Clearly people are bringing deposits with them (even though the last time this happened, the agent said, "email your interest tomorrow and I will call you to specify exactly what docs you need to send etc") and then when I emailed I got no reply...so called...and eventually he said it was gone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Guess I'm a little tired of wasting my time attending pointless viewings. I called one guy today and asked if his apt was available and he said, "it is but I am getting a deposit on it tomorrow and have a verbal agreement to let, but come by this evening and have a look" - I was like, "ok so its...available but..its not?" - why would I waste an evening viewing one place that is 99% likely to be gone anyway? He was basically using me as a fallback.

Tenants do this too. When there was a large amount of lettings they would go and see maybe 4 or 5. Say they'll take the first one they see as fallback, will meet tomorrow with a deposit - then see somewhere they prefer and not bother going back to the first property.
    The other thing I dont get is how you can attend a first viewing and then the next mornign the place is gone. Clearly people are bringing deposits with them (even though the last time this happened, the agent said, "email your interest tomorrow and I will call you to specify exactly what docs you need to send etc") and then when I emailed I got no reply...so called...and eventually he said it was gone :rolleyes:

I take a few things into account when I'm letting my house out. First impressions, references, and if they have the deposit there and then it's a bonus.
    I don't use letting agents but maybe it's a case of the letting agent having to contact the landlord and run the prospective tenants credentials by them and if the tenants are dead set on the property they'll have the deposit in their office first thing in the morning.

Anyhow, to answer your question, I don't really rate letting agents, myself and my partner both have properties and we let and manage them ourselves. The last time (which was the first time:rolleyes:) my partner ever used letting agents the property was left like a demoliton site - holes in walls, doors, carpets destroyed. The tenants that they 'vetted' treated the house worse than animals.

Advertisement