Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport flying Ireland to Manchester

Options
  • 02-08-2012 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,

I know this is probably in the wrong place but I'm not used to boards and I need some urgent help.

I need to fly from knock to manchester on Sunday with Flybe and I've noticed my passport is out of date since April. Can I fly to the UK without it.
    I have a provisional licence also experied, a birth cert and a Garda Age Card, what can I do?

Any help much appreciated.

P.s the passport office said 3 -working days for urgent passports and thats not enough time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Hi,

I know this is probably in the wrong place but I'm not used to boards and I need some urgent help.

I need to fly from knock to manchester on Sunday with Flybe and I've noticed my passport is out of date since April. Can I fly to the UK without it.
    I have a provisional licence also experied, a birth cert and a Garda Age Card, what can I do?

P.s the passport office said 3 -working days for urgent passports and thats not enough time.

Contact the airline you booked the ticket with. Asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Passports are required for travel to all countries except the United Kingdom. (However, you should note that some airlines now require photo-ID for flights to the UK). With the exception of travel to the U.K., Irish citizens require a valid passport for travel to all other destinations in the E.U.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I am pie wrote: »
    Contact the airline you booked the ticket with. Asap.

Why?

OP you don't need anything other than a garda ID to travel from Ireland to England and vice versa. I've done it with military ID, I've done it with my workplace ID card and I've done it with a garda card.

http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/passport_visa_information.html
    Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel

• Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
      • Valid Passport
      • Drivers licence with photo
      • International student card
      • National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
      • Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
      • Bus pass with photo
      • Work ID with photo
    • Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.
    • Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

You can get across with feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Hi,

Have a read through your airline's I.D requirements, it should tell you what you need to know.

Here is a link to the page you need.

• Advertisement

And from flybe:
    Domestic/Republic of Ireland travel

All passengers, adults, children and infants, travelling to the Republic of Ireland must have a form of ID which proves their nationality/citizenship for immigration purposes.
    • A valid passport
    • An expired passport (domestic flights only up to two years after expiry)
    • Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
    • Valid photographic driving licence
    • Valid armed forces identity card
    • Valid police warrant card/badge
    • Valid airport employees security identity pass
    • A child on parent’ s passport is an acceptable form of ID
    • CitizenCard
    • Valid photographic firearm certificate
    • Valid Government-issued identity card
    • SMART card
    • Electoral identity card
    • Photographic disabled badge
    • NUS card photographic (National Union of Students)
    • Photographic university/college ID card
    • Company ID card of nationally recognised company (photographic)
    • Council issued bus pass (senior citizens only)
    • Pension book (the only acceptable form of non-photographic identification)
    • Young Scot card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

discus wrote: »
    Why?

OP you don't need anything other than a garda ID to travel from Ireland to England and vice versa. I've done it with military ID, I've done it with my workplace ID card and I've done it with a garda card.

I'm pretty sure Ryanair only accept passports or national ID cards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm pretty sure Ryanair only accept passports or national ID cards.

Dont even attempt to fly ryanair without a passport..they'll send you back home to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

No matter what anyone says none of them will let you through without a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Michelle2012

Thanks for the info everyone. I contacted Flybe and knock airport and both said the Garda card would be ok. I presume if I am returning with same airline I won't get any hassle returning from Manchester Airport? Any have an experience returning without a passport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Piliger wrote: »
    No matter what anyone says none of them will let you through without a passport.

Why post such ill-informed rubbish? The only airline that requires a passport to travel from Ireland to the UK is Ryanair. The UK border officials do not require the passport nor do the Garda on return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Rubbish. I have flown Ireland-UK on City Jet, Ryanair and Aer Lingus numerous times within the last 3 months. The ONLY one that required a passport as ID was Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Rubbish,wrong,way off the mark,why are you posting piliger???

Just to post a few facts on this topic,I flew Dub - London,London - Dub last week with Aer Lingus with only my drivers license as ID.No problem getting into the UK or leaving the UK,and in Dub I handed the guard my DL while saying "Great to be back for a real pint of Guinness" and the Guard laughed and said "Sure the best pints are at home,they dont travel well!",while not even bothering to take my DL out of the plastic holder.By law we dont require a passport to visit the UK.

Advertisement