Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI Visa cards abroad

• 02-08-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey i am looking for advice i'm planning a trip to Cape Town, South Africa in September. Would i be better off just bringing a supply of cash with me and have it changed to rands over there or else use a bank of ireland visa card, What charge is applied when you use these cards internationally? I'm just wary of my card being swallowed by some dodgy machine, its happened to me here and i don't know what i'd do if it happened to me over in Africa!! :confused: Carrying cash also has its dangers too! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

dmkk11 wrote: »
    Hey i am looking for advice i'm planning a trip to Cape Town, South Africa in September. Would i be better off just bringing a supply of cash with me and have it changed to rands over there or else use a bank of ireland visa card, What charge is applied when you use these cards internationally? I'm just wary of my card being swallowed by some dodgy machine, its happened to me here and i don't know what i'd do if it happened to me over in Africa!! :confused: Carrying cash also has its dangers too! :(

When travelling abroad always have a back up solution available for access to funds. I usually have my debit card, some cash and a credit card kept seperate from everything (and in hotel safe when possible) so if anything happens I can get funds.

If you have no credit card then bring some cash, maybe some travellers cheques if needed and also your debit card for regular access to cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi dmkk11,

Thanks for your query. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We wouldn't be able to offer advice on whether you would be better off bringing cash or your debit card with you.

You also asked about the charges that apply when using the card internationally. If you do decide to use your Visa Debit on your trip there are cross border handling fees that will be applied to your account.

If you use the card to withdraw cash, there is a charge of 3.5% of the amount you withdraw with a minimum charge of €3.17 and a maximum charge of €11.43.

If you use the card at a point of sale, the charge is 1.75% of the transaction. The minimum charge applied depends on whether the transaction is done contactlessly or not. The minimum charge for a contactless transaction is €0.10 and the minimum charge for a non-contactless transaction is €0.46. The maximum point of sale charge is €11.43.

If you do end up using your card while you are away we would urge you not to use any ATM that you are in anyway concerned about.

I hope this helps and enjoy your trip.

Thanks
    Pat

Advertisement