Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystified - dog's fur turned green after op!

• 02-08-2012 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

My dog had an operation this week (nothing wrong with that) and since yesterday is recovering at home. He is wearing a protective collar and just this morning we noticed that the fur on his neck under his chin has turned green! He is not getting anything put on his skin. He does get pills to swallow.
    The only thing I can think about is that the collar traps his saliva so it may be trickling down his neck; and the pills may possibly colour it? But why would they? And yesterday there was no green hue at all, although the fur was taking this brownish hue it does when the dog licks himself too much, apparently dog's saliva has this side effect.
    Should I be worried? He's seeing his vet on Saturday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I've never heard anything like that before, I would ring the vet just ask and make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I heard from our lovely vet and it's iodine - it must have reacted with something overnight to produce this greenish hue. Mystery solved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

mhge wrote: »
    I heard from our lovely vet and it's iodine - it must have reacted with something overnight to produce this greenish hue. Mystery solved!
    #

Only in Ireland,, forty shades of green ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

mhge wrote: »

Great to hear, delighted everything is okay. I am always worrying about mine, I must have at least one post a week regarding something that's wrong with one of them :). So after an op I am much worse. I always try to go by the rule when in doubt give the vet a ring, they are always happy to help out in my experience, it only takes a few minutes and it costs nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Whatever you do..........don't make him angry......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

no pic should result in a banning here

Advertisement